Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  I want sequential taillights like a Cougar or Mustang Electrical engineers wanted.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

I want sequential taillights like a Cougar or Mustang Electrical engineers wanted. by Curlrup
Started on: 12-09-2008 09:17 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Dodgerunner on 12-13-2008 09:51 AM
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
I see the kits on eBay all the time for Fiero sequentials. However at $80 for what seems to me to be a simple circut, I am wondering since there are a lot of engineers and electrical gurus here how can you build a circut board to do this???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I ordered parts to build one or two at some point this winter. I'm going to do my 85Gt.

But the parts and time to build them $80 is not to out of line depending on what is included.

I'm going to design mine with SCR's, adjustable timers, and a solid state flasher.

But again it's a winter project after the holidays.
FieroBobo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboDirect Link to This Post
You might take a look at the following website.

.....http://www.webelectricproducts.com/......

I think that they have what you are looking for.

I hope this proves helpful.

~Bob

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Bubbajoexxx built his own box that I installed in the newest project.
Drop him a PM, he is known to help the DIYers.

Here's the finished product with lights all the way across and they are speed adjustable:

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Those are badass. Not sure if it's legal? Still badass though

------------------

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

Bubbajoexxx built his own box that I installed in the newest project.
Drop him a PM, he is known to help the DIYers.

Here's the finished product with lights all the way across and they are speed adjustable:

Me likey....thanks I will PM the man.

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 12-09-2008).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Those are really neat!
fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post
I asked about webelectric kit in another thread. Maybe someone here knows -- can three-light sequentials be done on GT tail lamps?
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBobo:

You might take a look at the following website. ..... http://www.webelectricproducts.com/......

I put the 3-light seqentials on my Indy. They work really well and look great. Very 80's

Great support from Lawrence at webelectric. Promptly answered all my email questions.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner
My SD4 Indy www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/096075.html

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fyrebird68:

I asked about webelectric kit in another thread. Maybe someone here knows -- can three-light sequentials be done on GT tail lamps?

I believe you just have to replace the one socket that is a tail light only so you have the duel filament. At least that is what I have to do on my 85GT. I pick them up at salvage yards to swap out.
cujoe_da_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cujoe_da_manSend a Private Message to cujoe_da_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

Those are badass. Not sure if it's legal? Still badass though

I'm curious myself, I know some cops might frown on that because of the sequencing of the lights simulating a light bar. Isn't that why they didn't put them on cars in the first place? They even ticket you for having a different color light on your car, blinking or not, other than red, yellow, orange, or white.

So yeah, what's the law on this? I'd love to do the same thing with mine, make it really stick out like a sore thumb :P
PFF
System Bot
cujoe_da_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cujoe_da_manSend a Private Message to cujoe_da_manDirect Link to This Post

cujoe_da_man

263 posts
Member since Jul 2008
on a side note, unless the camera isn't synched with the lights, it almost looks like a tracer setup for the scanner used for Knight Rider... when one light is bright, the next following the pattern is 50% and so on. How close is this? My freind and his dad build Knight conversions and I'm curious if the electronics are the same
AlanD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlanDSend a Private Message to AlanDDirect Link to This Post
They were originally put on cars - starting with the 1965 Thunderbird. The feature was supposedly developed for the 1964 model but they couldn't ensure they were legal in all states until the 65 model year.

I've got one of them I'm restoring and the sequencing is one of my favorite features. Well that and the swing-away steering wheel.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
there are instructions everywhere online to make these. i have them printed out from a few different sources.

i found these through some somewhat tough searching. found on a impalla ss (the LT1 body) forum
https://home.comcast.net/~jormendoza/1.pdf
https://home.comcast.net/~jormendoza/2.pdf
https://home.comcast.net/~jormendoza/3.pdf

http://www.impalassforum.co...highlight=sequential

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

What goes around comes around - From the 1999 archives.
fyrebird68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

I believe you just have to replace the one socket that is a tail light only so you have the duel filament. At least that is what I have to do on my 85GT. I pick them up at salvage yards to swap out.

Dodge, I PM'ed Lawrence from webelectric and told him what I wanted to do (put three-light sequencers on a GT) and he believes I'll have to do a two-light. I really want the three light setup - have you done this, or at least worked it through on paper?

Bob

fyrebird68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post
Well, I finally got off my lazy butt, went out and LOOKED at the back of my GT!

The turn signals (amber, 2 lights on each side) are located above the tail/brake lights (red, 2 lights on each side).

There are no lights arranged in such a way as to provide three sequential turn indicators. :">

Lawrence is correct - I will have to uses the STS2 (two-light) setup.

[This message has been edited by fyrebird68 (edited 12-12-2008).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
diagram for sequential lights (forgot where it came from, so I can't give proper credit):

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 12-12-2008).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, just convert the whole rear light assembly to a LED grid, and then do whatever you want with it. sequentials one day, cylon scanning red dot the next, maybe pointy arrows, scrolling text - whatever fits the mood.

and - while that $80 seems a bit much - just wait untill you start doing custom fab work. materials & waste quickly shoot price up.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AlanD:

.... the sequencing is one of my favorite features.

same here - had them on a "68 cougar XR-7.

i have the webelectric kit on my 88 formula and it is VERY cool. You might need to change the flasher to a mechanical one (stock is electric) to get the timing correct - when you do this mod, sometimes the lights flash too quickly.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the diagrams folks. Time to find the soldering iron. I'm going to have the coolest lights on the block. Cooler than that 16 year old kid who's parents bought him a new white convertable Saleen. Can you say wrecked car and dead spoiled teenager?
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2008 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You might like this post also. The schemo uses LM556 which are very easy to find.
You can still use the SCr's for the lights instead of the relays also.
http://www.gofastforless.com/electrical/lights.htm
If you build one you do have to get an electronic flasher instead of the stock on you know... or make of like in the the above link.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 12-13-2008).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2008 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

diagram for sequential lights (forgot where it came from, so I can't give proper credit):

thats the image i was looking all over for. i have it printed out and a copy saved in my phone. along witha few others. im sure it came from a fiero site. maybe fiero sails fiero secrets. but those links dont work anymore. and the other is for webelectric.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

20ish in parts, I might have to visit the local electronics supply store, or order the parts from partsexpress. BTW, The scr TIC106M crosses to a NTE5438 which will be much easier to find.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2008 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I repeat you have to replace your flasher with an electronic flasher if you make this sequencer or it will not work.. Just want to be sure you realize that.

To explain more, once an scr is turned on in order for it to turn off the voltage must be removed or the polarity has to reverse. If you using AC voltage this is not a problem. But since your on DC voltage you have to remove the voltage to turn the SCR off.
The stock flasher has a small heating element that makes the flasher work. The element is always feeding a small amount of power to the lights when the turn signal switch is on. Once the SCR is switched on the voltage never goes away until you turn off the signal switch so the lights would stay on and only the inside turn signal light would flash. The electronic flashers use a relay so power is removed on each flash.

You might have known this but just being a wordy Electronic Eng. for those that might not know...

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 12-13-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock