INJECTOR FLOW BENCH TESTING by unboundmo
Started on: 12-09-2008 06:27 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: unboundmo on 12-10-2008 12:35 PM
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone..... I just recently picked up some 3.4L DOHC 19# injectors for dirt cheap...... Guess how much for 6 + 1 extra...........................................................................................................................................................................................................$9.95 for ALL plus $9.95 shipping... A good gamble, I think.

Anyway. The previous owner claims they are new but I don't want to risk anything on a brand new engine. A local injector test place want $10 per piece... Now my good find is no longer.

How does one check a injector? How hard is it to take apart and view the filter and such. O-rings are easy to find but is it a certain material that you have to use for the o-ring? Do you actually need a computer to test that they will spray okay and that they are consistent with one another? Is there a way to tell if they are new or not? They will have some shelf life but that's all. And the last question...... Is there a rebuild thread on this forum or anywhere that you may know of? ... Thanks for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
You can get an injector oring set for about 8 bucks at Checker, Autozone, ORiellys, etc. There is a poor mans injector flow test setup that has been posted on here several times. I will see if I can track it down for you and post it here. Don't know about taking them apart.

Edit to add: Check this out!

http://fierosails.com/InjectorTester.html

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 12-09-2008).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
How I cleaned and flow tested mine. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/072303-2.html
About 1/3 down.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

How I cleaned and flow tested mine. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/072303-2.html
About 1/3 down.

Clever cicuit but I would be concerned about the driver current of the 2N2222 output transistor. If I am not mistaken that transistor is a small signal type not a power transistor. Have you tried this cicuit?

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Look again, the 2n2222 is just a pre driver for the 3055 to get it into saturation.
Yes I have one I use and I also made one for one other member on the forum. (no I don't want to make anymore....at this time)

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 12-09-2008).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2008 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Do not take injectors apart unless you no longer want to use them..
it is more likely an injector is clogged than dead,, the chance of having good injectors is high they are long lived
disconnect one injector !!you can connect an injector one at a time to see if they all shoot the same ,, install some sort of plate beneath injector ..or place inside can to prevent sprayed fuel from causing singhed eyebrows(gearhead favorite)
if you are going to have these checked you should do the cleaning and checked,, more expensive but will prevent future problem .. I would do single test one at a time as long as you are confident you will not start bonfire for marshmellows..
Goggle to linder tech .com & witch hunter performance for info on how to check your injector with omn meter ..give sites a quick look over and decide which one suits you best or check both out ,, in the past year there is a lot of info available on these sites for the average owner and they are easy to read..
keep injectors in a plasic bag with some form of disicant or rice,, rust is a killer of injectors..KEEP THEM DRY..oil outside
replace injector o rings every 10 years or sooner they harden and hurt performance,, this part is still available from GM cheap

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 12-10-2008).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Look again, the 2n2222 is just a pre driver for the 3055 to get it into saturation.
Yes I have one I use and I also made one for one other member on the forum. (no I don't want to make anymore....at this time)

I did look again and right you are. Nice design.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the input. I printed those links for reference... It definitely looks like a school experiment project.... I feel I'm going to blow up the classroom!!!!

I'm going to wait until the injectors are in hand to do the follow through... I'm just hoping they are brand new!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock