Improving the stock V-6 cold air intake can by Daniel
Started on: 11-11-2008 07:01 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Daniel on 11-12-2008 07:43 PM
Daniel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
I have improved the stock Fiero filter housing by using a plastic housing from a gm car from the wrecking yard with the original Fiero top.

First step is removing the intake muffler, which I have done previously by using 3” inner diameter semi flexible sewer hose from princess auto.

I then cut out the bracket that holds the filter can, and built a 120 degree elbow out of two tight 90 degree abs elbows. This elbow is more of a offset 95 degree elbow that is shifted towards the front of the car at the bottom. I also used a rubber gasket instead of the original cork

I had to relocate the fuel vapor can out of the way, to keep the stock Fiero snorkel, so I moved it to under the fuel expansion tank on the 88, Sorry no pics of this move.

Here is the new can, stock

I then removed the bottom cross and made a insert out of 3” abs that can be seen in the next photo

Some air filter oil is visible from on the filter gasket in this next picture.

I drilled out the mount for a filter minder, which indicates when a filter is clogged.

The removal of the intake muffler had increased intake sound on the driver’s side.
However the new air box easily doubled this intake whistle. I have not driven long with this mod, and it is sitting for winter, but those few weeks before storage has shown the car seemed slightly more responsive to throttle movement. I believe the main improvement is the removal of the cross that caused a lot of turbulence, improving airflow. This is on a stock V-6, however this change was done on the idea of keeping this style intake for a possible engine swap.

Edited to add
Be sure to get the air temp sensor that comes with the filter can, as the hole needs to be plugged, and it plugs in directly to the stock fiero harness

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited 11-12-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
nice. the stock system tho is good for way more than a v6 can use. removing the cross and putting in a single par or as you did, use clips instead would do as much. Only thing you missed was using corregated hose. that causes turbulance and reduces flow, not that you need it with the v6 tho, but smoth is much better. A future mod to your mod!
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
Although the hose appears corrugated it has a two layers in a spiral, one white and the other clear and it feels smoth but has just enough give to fit against the fuel filler and wheel well liner. A future mod would be installing a side scoop similar to the fierostore holley replica that has a cross section at the front at least as large as the 3" air hose that is in there, and use a honneycomb filter to prevent large debris from reaching the air filter.

The bar would have worked just fine, but I dont have a welder, and this new air can causes only the filter top to be in danger of rusting away.
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Daniel. Good to see you around here

------------------

T-Top ~HUD~LEDs ~Red Fieros~Carputer~Reverse lights

Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
I try to post about the mods I do to my car, just asa a record of what was done, Even if they are posted a late.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Is the black air cleaner canister still in the stock location or is it now located someplace else?
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
The black air can is located in the stock location, just the outlet is rotated slightly to the rear of the car causing interferance with the fuel vapor can. The stock bracket for holding the air can is reused, after the opening is enlarged for the abs pipe to connect to the elbow below, which is a friction fit. Nothing is bolted to the air can but the friction fit and gravity ensure that the filter can does not move.

I moved the fuel vapor can to underneath the gas expansion tank on the passangers side and ran metal brake tubing to it for the two vacuume lines from, and a short fuel line from the expansion tank to the fuel vapor can.

I believe with a new hose from the air can to the engine this move could have been avoided, but I desided to use the stock s pipe from the air filter can to the throttlebody.

With a new engine the fuel vapor can could easily be kept in place using a straight pipe to the air filter

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock