Started on: 11-06-2008 02:33 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: Austrian Import on 01-07-2009 04:58 PM
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking at different setups that people have done and I want to do 13" on my car to make it stop better and also take up all the air i will have with my 19 / 20 combo
I looked at the Willwood setups and I am not wanting to go that way. I have seen many Corvette Z06 13" setups and was wondering if someone has done it and if someone makes the adapters to do this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I don't think anybody does the C6 Z06 stuff for Fieros. I was about to, but ran into backspacing problems trying to clear the caliper. Those are awesome brakes, but in my opinion, the rotors are so extremely heavy and are geared towards heavier cars. The Z06 brakes wouldn't clear the stock C6 wheels without a thick spacer in the front and a little one in the rear, so whatever wheels you buy, check their clearance to the dual piston calipers.

Edit: I didn't mention it, but I had all that stuff in my hands, ready to go when I figured out my backspacing problem. It is a great brake setup, just needs lighter rotors (Baer).

[This message has been edited by CTFieroGT87 (edited 11-06-2008).]

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I have a friend that has the whole setup and he also has the Brembo set also for his Corvette.
I could get them from him but does anyone make the adapters for the Fiero.
I would love to go with this setup because I am using the big wheels and an LS6 so I want to be able to stop after I get to 100.
I think I could use a set for the C5 Corvette the Back spacing Is different but I will have to ask my friend but it all does me no good
if no one makes an install kit. I would not know where to start to do that.
CTFieroGT87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
No one makes a C6 Z06 kit yet. I doubt it'll be made considering the small audience. The stock C6 stuff is just C5 Z06. You will need concentric rings for the rotors and brackets for the caliper. The brackets for this brake upgrade would need to be highly precise as this isn't a 'floating' style caliper but a fixed caliper with pistons clamping from both directions. So the bracket will need to position the caliper precisely in the correct spot over the rotor as well as aligned correctly with the rotor. It can be done, but as I said, it is going to be extremely hard to find FWD bolt pattern wheels that'll clear these huge calipers.
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Maybe a solution would be to convince Fieroaddiction to make a kit with larger calipers. Wilwood Superlites, or even others. The Dynalites just don't look right.

Would people be willing to pay an extra $100 per caliper for larger calipers than the Dynalites? <-- email Fieroaddiction and let him know.
Bremertonfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BremertonfieroSend a Private Message to BremertonfieroDirect Link to This Post
why? your tires can only stop you so well they only have so much traction
gunslinger

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gunslingerSend a Private Message to gunslingerDirect Link to This Post
The brackets are not hard to make but is gets expensive and few if any will want to pay for them.
SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
That year Z06 uses 14" rotors...or so I thought
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2008 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
even the C5 brakes would be fine just 13"
I am running a 19 / 20 combo of custom wheels on my car.
the thing about the willwoods I don't like is race only no dust or water protection. and the E brake sucks!
I was looking at the Corvette setup because it is a street car with great brakes.
are there other options other than the Willwood setup ?
and if so where can I find a bolt on setup ?
I have seen west coast fieros are using 13" viper roters but with stock calipers. I am not sure I like that one eather.
any other 13" options that anyone knows of that would work would be a great help.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2008 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bremertonfiero:

Uh, while I agree with you, I expect this is more a bragging rights/appearance thing than any real need for that much brake. I think it is more driven by WANT than NEED.

I mean if you are going to get all realistic on us, anyone that really NEEDS that sort of braking on the street would swiftly end up incarcerated anyway.....

[This message has been edited by BillS (edited 11-07-2008).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2008 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

Uh, while I agree with you, I expect this is more a bragging rights/appearance thing than any real need for that much brake. I think it is more driven by WANT than NEED.

I mean if you are going to get all realistic on us, anyone that really NEEDS that sort of braking on the street would swiftly end up incarcerated anyway.....

A lot of it is appearance. Having big rims with tiny stock calipers just looks pathetic.Something needs to fill that huge air gap.
At the same time people with engine swaps need better brakes to balance the car again. Something like: double the horsepower from stock, needs to quadruple the brakes then. It's physics. At the same time stock brakes aren't very confidence inspiring even with a stock setup. (especially when one drives a modern car/sports car in addition to the Fiero)
Stock Fiero brakes don't like repeated hard braking attempts like at an autocross, or a track. (especially non-vented non '88 brakes)

PFF
System Bot
JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2008 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Direct Link to This Post
He is going to have huge rubber under the car check his thread. Design 1 systems makes a kit for c5 brakes I think they are 13 front 12" in back Curly has them on his car. With the engine and wheels and tires whodeanie is running big brakes are not just for looks although he needs them to make his wheels look good.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2008 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JPH87:

He is going to have huge rubber under the car check his thread. Design 1 systems makes a kit for c5 brakes I think they are 13 front 12" in back Curly has them on his car. With the engine and wheels and tires whodeanie is running big brakes are not just for looks although he needs them to make his wheels look good.

Thank you !
no one else was picking up on that.
I will try to find Design 1 on the internet and let you know.

CTFieroGT87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I feel the C5 Z06 setup is the most anybody would realistically need in a car of our weight, thats why I went with it.

[This message has been edited by CTFieroGT87 (edited 11-09-2008).]

LS6 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS6 FieroSend a Private Message to LS6 FieroDirect Link to This Post
I must agree that the ZO6 brakes would be tough to get on there. However, I found the same problem with choosing from the kits on the market. Instead I bought Tri_power calipers from SSBD and 13 inch rotors and built the brackets to put them on. I had a small clearance problem on the front, but worked it out. The rear are also Tri-power 13 inch with ebrake which are currently in process. I have some pictures of the front if any wants to see.

I'm not sure who mentioned an LS6, but I have one in my car. It is from a 2001 ZO6.

Dave
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTFieroGT87:
I feel the C5 Z06 setup is the most anybody would realistically need in a car of our weight, thats why I went with it.

CTFieroGT87
Am I reading this correctly? You have C5 Z06 brakes on your Fiero?
If so, would you be willing to post info and pictures and share your info/knowledge?
I'm sure that I am not the only one on the forum that would be appreciative.

~Thanks, Bob
edited for typos/sp

[This message has been edited by FieroBobo (edited 11-09-2008).]

FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboDirect Link to This Post

FieroBobo

683 posts
Member since Mar 2007

Originally posted by LS6 Fiero:
....... I bought Tri_power calipers from SSBD and 13 inch rotors and built the brackets to put them on. I had a small clearance problem on the front, but worked it out. The rear are also Tri-power 13 inch with ebrake which are currently in process. I have some pictures of the front if any wants to see................
Dave

LS6 Fiero/Dave, I'm interested in your SSBC (sp?) 13" brakes. I don't recall reading of anyone on this Forum doing this upgrade. If you have info and/or pic about the upgrade that you could post/share with us that would be most appreciated.

P.S. What size wheels and tires are you running, and how do you like the LS6 in the Fiero?

~Bob

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:
Thank you !
no one else was picking up on that.
I will try to find Design 1 on the internet and let you know.

Yes. I have a set of C5 13" on all corners on #015 and #020 is currently getting C5 Baer 13/14 package from D1S. You'll be better off buying the Corvette breaks and then have Kevin perform the needed work. Cost....About $800 I think.

Here's a C6 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LS6 Fiero:

I must agree that the ZO6 brakes would be tough to get on there. However, I found the same problem with choosing from the kits on the market. Instead I bought Tri_power calipers from SSBD and 13 inch rotors and built the brackets to put them on. I had a small clearance problem on the front, but worked it out. The rear are also Tri-power 13 inch with ebrake which are currently in process. I have some pictures of the front if any wants to see.

I'm not sure who mentioned an LS6, but I have one in my car. It is from a 2001 ZO6.

Dave

Any pic's and info on this set up?
I have access to a 01 parts Z06 that I could get the brakes off of I just need to know what else is needed to complete the swap.

LS6 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS6 FieroSend a Private Message to LS6 FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have pictures, but I need to learn how to post them. But before you buy C5 parts, I must let you know that my rear calipers fit in the same bracket as the front because SSBC built them for that application with an e-brake. These are not the same as the rear of a C5. To make a long story short, the front and rear use the same 13 inch rotors. The front has the OEM C5 caliper bracket. Which means that an OEM front C5 caliper or my Tri-piston calipers can be mounted. However I am not using the C5 rear calipers. My rear brackets still need to be test fitted before final machining. The front brakes have been on my car for 500 miles with no problem.

Dave
PS:Someone tell me how to post the pictures, please?
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Try imageshack, or Photobucket. Or pff image poster.

Can't wait to see pics.
LS6 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS6 FieroSend a Private Message to LS6 FieroDirect Link to This Post
Here is a couple pictures of the engine and front brakes. As far as I know, this SSBC set up will be one of a kind because I have been to the office a few time with my car and they definitely have not built or sold any kits for a Fiero. These are 18 inch wheels with 13 inch rotors. So they may look small inside of 20's.

I have had the Grand Am swap on here for many years before the engine went in. So the front hub machining was already complete. After all was said and done, I machined one bracket that allowed for the OEM Vette bracket (SSBC built the caliper to fit OEM) to bolt on. The bracket also has a bump stop on it. Tim let me borrow his mock up bracket (thank you) to build mine. But I only used it for measurements. This is because I did not machine the ears on the spindle, instead I built the bracket to bolt on to the factory surface.

The rear will look identical. Unfortunately I have not had time to fit the bracket.
I would love to see some of the Design 1 brakes if anyone has some pictures. I have not been able to find any info or prices on their web page.

I hate red. So if anybody has recommendations of what color to paint the car, let me know. But it has to look good with the brakes.

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Something like: double the horsepower from stock, needs to quadruple the brakes then. It's physics.

Once you take your foot off the accelerator pedal, to apply the brake pedal, what difference does it make, how much horsepower the motor has?
I usually let off the gas before hitting the brake, doesn't everyone else?

Kevin

CTFieroGT87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Those are some awesome looking brake calipers? That is a stock Corvette abutment bracket?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Once you take your foot off the accelerator pedal, to apply the brake pedal, what difference does it make, how much horsepower the motor has?
I usually let off the gas before hitting the brake, doesn't everyone else?

Kevin

If you get faster quicker, that also means you will have to get slower quicker. I can't explain it very well, but I do understand the logic behind it.
I've driven base model cars and top of the line cars back to back (at manufacturer autocross events), for some reason I just felt that the car was better balanced with better brakes. I felt more confident going fast, knowing that I can slow down from the increased speed. (if I was able to go that much faster on a stretch of track, meant that at the same time I had that much more slowing down to do to make the next corner at the maximum cornering speed. (and usually less time/track length to do it) )

Another example:
Tuning versions of popular cars: Mercedes' AMG, BMW's M, Audi's S and RS, Honda's Mugen, Subaru's STi and 'B spec, Ruf (Porsche Tuner), MINI's S and JCW, etc.
all have upgraded the brakes when they upgraded the engine output. (very often accompanying suspension upgrades as well)

I think these companies are on to something.

I've also got a chance of getting a ride in a Fiero with Wilwood brakes and Viper rotors. (sorry don't know any details of that brake swap) and the car behaved very confidence inspiring. Those brakes felt like what's supposed to be on the Fiero now. (I realized back then brake performance wasn't as good. Heck exotic cars such as Lamborghini/Ferrari in the '80's and before were known to be scary coming down from tripple digit speeds because of their crappy brakes. Now there are disc brake conversion kits sold for many popular muscle cars to give them better braking performance.)

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 11-12-2008).]

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
I can understand if you are on a race track, you might want different brakes then stock. Just that on the road, during regular driving, stopping from 70 mph, engine big or small, stock brakes should work just fine in my book. Not saying I wouldn't put something different on my kit car, I just don't see the need for more then half that have done it.

Kevin
LS6 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS6 FieroSend a Private Message to LS6 FieroDirect Link to This Post
It should be about 420ish horse. I have never had it on a dyno, so the number comes from Mark at S&P.
Yes, it is a stock C5 abutment bracket. 40 bucks at the dealer.
Just for the record, the stock brakes and the Grand Am brakes SUCK. But to assist in the discussion, the brakes on my car are way over kill. Part of the design was deciding utility vs. sticker shock. For example, I not sure that I needed zinc plated rotors. But they look nice. I guess if you have the money, it's go big or go home. The rest of us have to balance.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I agree cost is an isue always but I want to get a set that is reliable for every day use.
that is why I posted this to try to find out if other people have done them, where did the parts come from and how much did it cost.
performance and looks are why I am going to do this and if I can find a set of 14" I would go that way if I can.
I want the bigest set I can get to fill the wheels out and also stop the car.
need them? maybe not! want them? Yes!

so any help on this would be great. thanks for all the feed back.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bremertonfiero:

1) Repeated braking (i.e.: windy roads, track days, etc.)
2) Most swaps involve stickier tires anyways. For either acceleration, or braking.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock