Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Whoo Hoo, broken exhaust stud came out. What's exhaust bolt thread size?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Whoo Hoo, broken exhaust stud came out. What's exhaust bolt thread size? by ltlfrari
Started on: 11-01-2008 05:04 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: jetman on 11-01-2008 05:34 PM
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I had a broken exhaust bolt on my 2.8. It had broken below the level of manifold flange so there was nothing to get hold of to get the bugger out. Although it was on the rear head I still pulled the motor to make it easier to get at it and it seems all that effort was worth it.

I've been hitting it with PB Blaster all week, not sure if it helped much since most just runs right off but I guess every bit helps.
So today I hit the end of the stud with the mapp/oxy torch, then some more pb then more heat. Then I center punched it ready to drill, giving a good health whack to help loosen things up.
Then I hit it with a LEFT hand cobalt drill, something just below 3/16 I think. I was the middle size of a set of 5 drills and stud extractors I got online.

Anyway I'd hardly started drilling and the stud just started to turn and popped right out so I am one happy camper. Just gotta chase out the threads on a couple of the other holes then put it all back together.

Anyone happen to know the thread size for the exhaust manifold bolts

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 11-01-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
8mm
125 pitch
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations.

MAP gas, I tell ya, and some PB Blaster.

ltlfrari, I'm going to quote you in the other broken stud thread.

Once again, congratulations.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock