Cools too well by Macs86GT
Started on: 10-22-2008 10:46 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Macs86GT on 10-23-2008 04:51 PM
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 gt, its running fine, but it seems a tad on the cold blooded side. I can let the car war up for 20 minutes and it will hit about 220 then as soon as i drive it goes back to about 180. I'm running a stock fan switch and thermostat. I get solid heat, but i can see at a stoplight that the car idles at 1200 rpm instead of its usual rock solid 1k rpm. I did have the water pump and all hoses replaced, but i doubt that that would be the problem. The cts is new and fixed my idle hunt problem. I am thinking the new thermostat 195 deg i put in about 1 1/2 months ago is opening way too soon. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroJimm

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmSend a Private Message to FieroJimmDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like your cooling system in great shape. I am not familiar with the 2.8 but isn't 195 degree thermostat stock?

Jim

[This message has been edited by FieroJimm (edited 10-22-2008).]

Dash

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DashSend a Private Message to DashDirect Link to This Post
ive got a duke and ive got no thermostat in it..lol
i stay below 120 on the dash but i think my temp sensor is bad
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I would not count on the gauge for an accurate temp reading. Think of it as a trend analysis. For an accurate reading get WINaldl and look at what the CTS is reporting to the ECM.

The stock fan switch comes on rather high. Mine came on at 228* as reported by WINaldl.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
The first big quarter "tick mark" on the temp gauge is 190, not 180. Your engine temp is normal, if you're having high idle, spray some carb cleaner around your EGR tube and listen for a difference.
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
sounds like your cooling system is fine. if i leave mine at idle for a long tim 20 to 30 minutes it reaches 220 and as soon as i get on the road it goes down. the temp guage is not accurate at all.
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Ah it sounds like its normal then. I was going dam that is a wide range in temp shift. I forgot how inaccurate the stock temp gauge is. Where can i get the necessary equipment /software to run a winald scan on the computer? I did check the egr mines been deleted and both plates that block the openings are closed up fine. Thanks all for the help.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Get the free software here: http://winaldl.joby.se/

You can buy an ALDL cable from folks here (Dodgerunner?)

or from one of the stores online: http://www.aldlcable.com/

Or make your own for cheap: http://couleefiero.tripod.com/ALDL.htm

There have been some issues with USB equipped laptops not working correctly. I use an old serial port laptop with no issues.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dash:

ive got a duke and ive got no thermostat in it..lol
i stay below 120 on the dash but i think my temp sensor is bad

I got 31 mpg without the thermostat. I jumped up to 34-35 with a 180*, and 39-40 MPG with a 195* Dukes ECM like it hot.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Below is an example of a AldlView plot for my Formula, covering about 12 miles / 20 minutes of driving. Note that I did this run because my temperature gauge on the dash was wagging around quite a bit and generally indicating that the engine was running cooler than normal:

The yellow trace is road speed, which ranged from zero to 63 mph. The red trace is the Coolant Temperature Sensor, which ranged from 71 F at startup to a peak of 203 F. This is with a stock 195 degree thermostat, and an ambient temperature of 71 F. The coolant temperature was a lot more stable than I had expected (only +/- 6 degrees once fully warmed up), over a wide range of driving conditions, from stop and go traffic on urban streets (4.7 miles), to a few minutes of sustained expressway driving (4.6 miles), and back to local streets (2.6 miles).

There's no substitute for your own test data. It's sometimes the only way to know what's really going on.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-23-2008).]

Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the help, I'm going to get the cable and the software and run it, and see what i can see.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock