Where to buy replacement door glass? by sjmaye
Started on: 10-21-2008 04:53 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-22-2008 02:02 PM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I have the legendary scratches on both driver and passenger side windows. Both of the dew wipes look in good condition. Not sure where the scratches are originating from. I have read many posts that saying that if the scratch can catch your fingernail they can not be buffed out. If that is the case I need new glass for both sides.

I have seen prices all over the place. Is there a best place to buy these? Online maybe?

Ed Parks at the Fiero Factory? Is the Fiero door glass unique to the Fiero or the same as other models? Maybe could try a pick N pull yard?

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 10-21-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero glass is unique. Once you start hitting the wrecking yards, chances are those windows will have the same problem.

I started phoning the Auto Glass companies. Prices were all over the place, but I found one that installed the glass for $20 more than the average "cash & carry - install it yourself price". I gave them a new dew wipe and they installed that while they had the glass out too.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-21-2008).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
the best thing to do is get new ones and if you can get new dew wipes at the same time so they do not distroy the new glass.
glass shops always are all over the place with priceing just make sure they have the correct part # 's
here are the part #'s for all Fiero's of all years!
windshield = DW1013
driver's door = DD6718
pass. door = DD6717
these are the part numbers that all glass shops use for the Fiero glass.
shop around to get the best price and make sure that the part number matches the part you need.
Good luck!
D.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
My dew wipes look in good shape. Is it the felt bumpers that are scratching?
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
you could have sand or dirt in them or they are wore threw to the metal
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
Most likely it is the felt pads inside the door that are scratching the glass.

I replaced all of mine and the scratches stopped. Also have new dew wipes but as you, I need to replace the my original 25 year old door glass.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
Prices were all over the place, but I found one that installed the glass for $20 more than the average "cash & carry - install it yourself price". I gave them a new dew wipe and they installed that while they had the glass out too.

$20 bucks for install is cheap. I haven't seen anything that low yet. In looking at how it might be removed and installed it appears that you would just pull the inner door panel, drill out the mounting rivets, slide the glass out, new glass in, and remount with bolts. Does that seem about right?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

$20 bucks for install is cheap. I haven't seen anything that low yet. In looking at how it might be removed and installed it appears that you would just pull the inner door panel, drill out the mounting rivets, slide the glass out, new glass in, and remount with bolts. Does that seem about right?

What I meant by that is some places wanted $160-180 for "cash and carry". I found a place that was "$200 installed". I made the appointment right then and there.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
'IF' you can find good side glass, at the yards around here I get them for $25-$30 cash n carry. Id just ask here in the forum if anyone has a couple from a parts car, or knows where one is that can send it to you.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock