clutch not disengaging by philbur120
Started on: 10-10-2008 02:39 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: philbur120 on 10-22-2008 11:37 AM
philbur120

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philbur120Send a Private Message to philbur120Direct Link to This Post
well before i assume the worst, what can cause a clutch to not disengage properly? I have a spec stage 3 on my northstar 4 speed. I just gravity bled the system and bled the slave cylinder so i do not think air is in the system. The clutch assembly and flywheel only have about 3000 miles on it, as well as the slave cyl.
Last night while driving home from work i when to down shift and i could mat the clutch pedal. Only at the very end of travel would it somewhat disengage and allow me to shift gears. Then at a stop sign i couldn't disengage it at all to get it into first. I shut the car off and put it in first and cranked it to get me rolling home.
The pedal now has less pressure then before but there is still a bit of resistance. Any ideas?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I found that mine was not fully releasing and it was slop in the clutch pedal/banjo rod fitting. I replaced the clutch with the Fiero Store steel clutch, and got a new Banjo, but no dice. It was not until I got Rodney Dickman's adjustable banjo that the problem was solved. The adjustable banjo allowed me to get the clutch pedal about 1" above the brake and without any slop.

That was the cure. Hope this helps. BTW, how is that Northstar?

Arn
philbur120

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philbur120Send a Private Message to philbur120Direct Link to This Post
the northstar is still a bit quirky, but it has its good days.
i watched the travel at the slave cylinder and it looks like it moves adequately. I have been driving it for a few months like this it would be strange for things like this to after so long. Unless i bent the pedal...

Phil
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I had the problem, and it was the master cylinder rod. It has a bend in it, and two much bend doesn't let enough fluid hit the slave cylinder before the pedal hits the floor. I straightened the rod a bit, which lengthens it, and got more stroke. Problem solved.
GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
Is this the stock Fiero 4-speed? Wasn't there an issue with the clutch arm cracking, and not turning the shaft? The slave will push on the arm, the arm moves, but it isn't turning the fork shaft.
philbur120

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philbur120Send a Private Message to philbur120Direct Link to This Post
well i broke down and dropped the engine. Pulled the tranny off and sure enough there were chunks of springs laying in between the clutch disk and flywheel.....
Time for a new clutch... After only 3000 miles which kinda sucks
Phil
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Phil,

the fella's at Unauthorized Performance in London bring in the Bully Clutch from Ottawa. They are a bit more, but they are sintered iron and are pretty much bullet proof. I have one (for my puny v6) but the fellas running 300+ hp cars have similar luck. They don't have a listing on the website right now for the Fiero, but if you call them they'll be able to supply you. www.bullyclutch.com

Arn
philbur120

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for philbur120Send a Private Message to philbur120Direct Link to This Post
thanks for the site arn. I talked to the guys at spec, and ends up the clutch isnt under warranty anymore. However since my pressure plate and TO bearing are in good shape, they will sell me a new clutch disk at a reduced price. Seems like people who have had issues with the spec stage 3, and went with the un sprung hubbed stage 4 has had success. I am going to call them and see what the price of the stage 4 clutch disk is.

If everything was destroyed, I would definitely look into the bully.

Phil
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2008 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
WAS IT THE MARCEL SPRINGS THAT FAILED ?? I AM CURIOUS ABOUT THIS !! OR THE REGULAR SPRINGS IN THE DISC
philbur120

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for philbur120Send a Private Message to philbur120Direct Link to This Post
regular springs in the disk

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock