flywheel bolts broke 3800 by vamper
Started on: 09-10-2008 08:27 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Bubbajuju on 09-10-2008 10:52 PM
vamper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vamperSend a Private Message to vamperDirect Link to This Post
so after getting everything working i fired the engine up and heard a knocking noise, and shut it down. went to investigate the noise again and the flywheel just spins. pulled the motor out and all the bolts snapped off. Im fairly sure i got these bolts https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/092249.html#p19

did i do something wrong? the car hasnt even been moved just idled in the driveway with a few rev's before these broke does anyone have any recomendations?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Matthew_Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I got my bolts from GM but.. did you torque them and use threadlocker?
vamper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vamperSend a Private Message to vamperDirect Link to This Post
no thread locker, but it will be on next time. and they were torqued, i think im going to the local hardware store and check what they have avalible and buy the best/most expensive bolts i can find. what is the proper torque, i have read a dozen post saying diffirent things, i found a nice spot in the middle of 35lbs compared to the 19 and 50lbs.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear you luck.
I purchased the ARP bolts after reading the thread you linked.
I went to put them on with a shiny new $13.00 (on sale) harbor freight torque wrench. You know the really accurate one? So I've got my red threadlocker out and I'm slowly torquing them 45lbs because by golly the stock Fiero flywheel bolt is around 50lbs or so. My new wrench is working great and it's clicking at 20lbs and its clicking at 30lbs and 40lbs and then around 45lbs it just doesn't seem right. I mean I have tightened the heck outta these things I'm thinking too much. And then it happens. Who knows what the torque really was but I snapped that head off. Dang it I knew the whole job was fubar but I had an extra bolt that came with the 3 pack. So I backed everyone out and started over. I had stressed them all so much that the next two broke around 15lbs. So I took them all off went to the hardware store and bought some grade 8's, came home chunked the POS torque wrench in the garbage and tightened my bolts (with red loctite) using my 3/8 ratchet and short cheater until they felt perfect. Just like I have for the last 25 years with no failure.

But to answer your question this is taken from an email to Ryan at Sinister Performance.

"GM#24505092
Torque on these bolts is: 11 ft/lbs first pass. Then 50deg additional turn. You will need a torque angle meter to do this (auto parts stores should have one)."

These are the flex to yield bolts for the 3.8 camaro. They run about $5 each and come in packs of 5 from the GM dealer.

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 09-10-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock