Started on: 09-05-2008 06:32 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Hulki U. My-BFF on 09-15-2008 03:52 PM
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
This isn't new, I've been putting up with it for some time. But only recently have I started driving the car daily to work, and now this is really starting to bug me. It's a stock 84 SE, and has intermittent fits of doing what I can only describe with the subject title. It's like for a split second once in a while, the car is acting like it's out of gas, but it's not.

I did have a leak where the sending unit goes into the top of the tank, but the shop sealed it up with JB Weld. Here is where I described that problem... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/093258.html#p6

It doesn't stop running anymore, it just has a little bump or jerk now & then, and there is no pattern to it. Nothing seems to indicate when it could happen and what causes it.

Do I still have a leak somewhere? Could this just mean I need a new fuel filter? Bad vacuum line? I don't mind admitting I'm rather ignorant about this, so help me out if you can.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
WIth it being intermittent I would suspect a bad connection on the coil, injector, or module. Maybe even the fuel pump harness.
Possibly a vacume line that's barely attached or breaking

Does it occur more on a rough road, wet weather, or when you step on the brakes etc.? Does it occur at highway cruise speeds or just a light throttle at lower speed?
Bremertonfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BremertonfieroSend a Private Message to BremertonfieroDirect Link to This Post
i had an intermintant problem i would advised checking all conections and making sure every thing is tight
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

Does it occur more on a rough road, wet weather, or when you step on the brakes etc.? Does it occur at highway cruise speeds or just a light throttle at lower speed?

I drive on only smooth roads with the Fiero. Wet? It's always very humid here. I don't notice the "stumble" at idle, like when sitting at a red light, but during acceleration or cruising, and the speed doesn't matter, neither does the gear I'm in. Giving more throttle seems to help bring it out of it.

mike-ohio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioDirect Link to This Post
Mine did that with a bad plug wire (yes they were new).

Swapped out one at a tme until I found it using the old wires.

No indication of arcing at all, even in the dark.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mike-ohio:

Mine did that with a bad plug wire (yes they were new).

Swapped out one at a tme until I found it using the old wires.

No indication of arcing at all, even in the dark.

In fact, I have had suspicions about the plug wires, but didn't put the two together. I just might replace 'em and see if that helps.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Mine turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. Others have reported a small hole in the rubber fuel line that connects the fuel pump to the metal feed line. On mine, it started out as intermittent but became progressively worse. Anything over half throttle and it would start to buck.
LowNPro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LowNProSend a Private Message to LowNProDirect Link to This Post
i would say a fuel filter also but somone beat me to it
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Okay, I changed the fuel filter. That didn't fix it.

jfoster142

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jfoster142Send a Private Message to jfoster142Direct Link to This Post
I had that problem for quite a while. Sometimes it would run great, then it would start the bucking. I changed everything, coil, wires, Ign module, fuel filter, etc. Turned out to be the timing gear. I found it when it quit completely. Put in metal gears and no more problem.
pooder85seXY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pooder85seXYSend a Private Message to pooder85seXYDirect Link to This Post
my 85 is doing the same...it seems to olnly do it between 2500 and 3000 rpms, and if you accelerate the check engine light comes on and it stops...i just replaced all the wires and plugs and that wasnt the problem...and the fuel filter...my dad seems to think its a sensor, but i'm not sure
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pooder85seXY:
my 85 is doing the same...it seems to olnly do it between 2500 and 3000 rpms, and if you accelerate the check engine light comes on and it stops...i just replaced all the wires and plugs and that wasnt the problem...and the fuel filter...my dad seems to think its a sensor, but i'm not sure

Well what does the check engine light say?

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
since its an 84 (84-85's had problems like this....) Corroded fusible link(s) If I recall theres one between the battery and the starter, and the 2nd offhand I cant remember - anyone else?
pooder85seXY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pooder85seXYSend a Private Message to pooder85seXYDirect Link to This Post
the check engine light said "check engine"
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pooder85seXY:

the check engine light said "check engine"

I hope that was a joke. I think what he meant was did you pull the codes from the CEL after it started coming on?
pooder85seXY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pooder85seXYSend a Private Message to pooder85seXYDirect Link to This Post
i took it in to have the codes checked but i couldnt find where to plug it in at...some one told me you have to take the panel off of the cigarette lighter and its back there...i haven't had time to check
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
That's where it's at.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock