Started on: 09-01-2008 08:03 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: Will on 09-08-2008 03:22 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone split the case on a 4 spd to reseal the case halves? I have searched the threads and did not find one that dealt with splitting the case halves. Per the manual, it looks pretty straight forward. Appears to be a few "shims" on each of the 2 gear packs and the differential. I am thinking that as long as I am not installing new bearings, etc. it should go right back together with the new sealant. If anyone ahs any experience with this, your wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pat
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I'll have to bookmark this topic so it doesn't get lost. I'm planning to do the same in the spring. Leaking at the seam on the bottom, no it's not the axle seals leaking. I would like to do it myself but if not I'll take it to a local shop to split the case and reseal back together. Drop me a pm when you get any info, please.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 09-01-2008).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dave,

I am planning on doing this next weekend. I checked around here in El Paso and the trans shops want 250.00 to 500.00 to do this work. It does include rplacing the axle seals and the seals for the output shaft but I think I can buy all the seals for less than 30 bucks. Also thinking of getting a set of Rodney's bearing savers. I have torn apart muncie 4 spds and top loaders but these are a little different. I may end up having to get another trans if I screw this one up! I'll take lots of pics and keep you posted on my progress.

Pat

Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Try giving V8 Archie a call, he might be able to help you out.

The price range that you have for splitting the case is about right. They want 300 bucks around my way for that job.

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 09-01-2008).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, it is VERY straight forward.
the shims are for spaceing the bearings - if you are not changing anything, like bearings, bearing races, or gear shafts - no need to reset the shimming
and - the shaft seals are readily available at Autozone for $5-6 a peice, and you need 3: 2 output shaft seals & 1 input shaft seal.
any decent RTV will re-seal
be LIGHT with the stuff
and, there is one area for a "breather" - make sure sealant overflow doesnt clog it.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Anaerobic Gasket Replacement is the correct sealant.

Take out all the bolts & separate the halves.
Scrape off all the old sealant and be sure the mating surface are clean. (you may want to go over them with wet fine grit sandpaper).
Apply new sealant.
Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Anaerobic Gasket Replacement is the correct sealant.

what is a Anaerobic Gasket Replacement?
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

A red goo that looks like red thredlocker...

Its also used to seal the supercharger to snout housings.

Available from your local dealership
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
hmpf...so was using RTV bad? what is the difference?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Yes, I read that in the manual. Also used for sealing snowmobile lower case halves! Now I just gotta find some in El Paso!

Thanks guys for your response / help. I may tackle this tonight.

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

hmpf...so was using RTV bad? what is the difference?

I don't know if it is bad or not, I have 1 extra 4 spd and a 5 spd that look like they have been done with RTV and the one in the car looks like RTV too! I will try and find the "special" stuff.

Pat
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Alrighty then!

The manual states that during reassembly, you are supposed to use some sleeves and gauges to determine the shim size needed. I believe that it refers to a rebuild where new bearings and races, gears, etc. are installed. I have talked to a few people here on PFF and at a few trans shops here in town. Everyone thinks that to just reseal the case halves would not require the "shim" setup deal that is refered to in the manual.

So, tonight I split the cases and much to my surprize, there were no shims where I expected them to be. I'll have to go back and read the manual again. I was sure that I would find the shims on the ends of the output, gear pack and diff.

Huh, I think I just figured it out. The shims should be under each of the conical bearings! So, anyways, I split the cases and I think this trans has been rebuilt - aftermarket seals and the cases were sealed with RTV. Also, the trans is very clean inside. There is a little magnet in the bottom and there was nothing stuck to it. The oil was pretty clean too and before the motor went, it shifted very smooth and felt tight. Everything inside look real good too. I will pick up the "special" seal goop tomorrow along with the axle seals and output shaft seal.

This is the first "transaxle" I have ever opened up. I am amazed that these hold up under V8 abuse. The diff itself does not look like it would take much to wad it up into a ball.

Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Where on the case did you split the halves? What did you use to split the case? Post pics please. This is starting to be a good informational thread.

You get a + .

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 09-03-2008).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity Bump - Been working but today, it goes back together.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

Where on the case did you split the halves? What did you use to split the case? Post pics please. This is starting to be a good informational thread.

You get a + .

The case seperates from the "Bell Housing" side. Once the bolts are removed, it just takes a little persuasion with a rubber mallet around the outside and then you can lift the bell housing off. I'll have some more pics this afternoon after I get all the old sealer cleaned off and start the reassembly.

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Well today I ran all over the Borderland trying to find the specified "anaerobic" sealant for the case halves. Finally found GM's replacement at a Chevy dealership on the West side of El Paso - 75 miles on the 88 Formula and 25.00 for the sealant.

Here's the sealant: It's spendy. It retails for 30.00 - the parts guy at Chevy thought that was hi so he gave me a discount - cost me 25.00 and 3 gallons of gas to find it.

Splitting the case: Take out all but 2 bolts (across for one another) to keep the case halves from seperating while you turn it over (bell housing up):

Once you turn it over - bell housing up, take the last 2 bolts out then you can work your way around the outside tapping on the bell housing half with a rubber mallet. Once you get a little seperation, you can take a razor knife and run it around the seam to cut the sealant:

Lift while you wiggle the bell housing half:

Clean and inspect. There is a small magnet located on the bottom side near the ring gear. It just "floats" in a pocket. Pull it out and clean all the metal off of it

I had to order the input shaft seal so I could not put the trans back together today.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
$300 to split the case and reseal it??? Sh*t, drop them off at my shop and I'll do it for $200...er...cash. I don't like the GM red sealant. I've used it in the past to reseal the Getrags and they always seem to have a seepage, but not leak per se.
I use another type of sealant made by Mercedes for sealing aluminum parts like timing covers and never had one seep or leak yet.
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (daily driver), 1986 SE with a VW VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dave,

Care to share the Mercedes part number - sealant name? I want the best I can get - no leaks - no seapage. I can take this tube of GM stuff back and get the Mercedes stuff.

I agree, 300 is steep. Especially once I grew some hair and just did it myself. So far, its, been pretty sraight forward and easy. Only issue I can see maybe putting it back together - getting the shafst & bearings lined up, etc. Just waiting on seals now.

What's your opinion on the axle saver outer bearing setups that Rodney and the Fiero Store sell?

Thanks for your input - truly appreciated.

Pat
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Hey Dave,

Care to share the Mercedes part number - sealant name? I want the best I can get - no leaks - no seapage. I can take this tube of GM stuff back and get the Mercedes stuff.

I agree, 300 is steep. Especially once I grew some hair and just did it myself. So far, its, been pretty sraight forward and easy. Only issue I can see maybe putting it back together - getting the shafst & bearings lined up, etc. Just waiting on seals now.

What's your opinion on the axle saver outer bearing setups that Rodney and the Fiero Store sell?

Thanks for your input - truly appreciated.

Pat

I'll look at the tube on Monday and get the number for you. It is about 30. and is really easy to work with. The stuff is like RTV, but a lot thicker (pastier)and easier to work with. The outer bearing supports work great...IMO.
Dave
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dave,

I odered a set from Rodney. I will be looking for the Mercedes stuff Monday evening. Thanks again

Pat
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

$300 to split the case and reseal it??? Sh*t, drop them off at my shop and I'll do it for $200...er...cash. I don't like the GM red sealant. I've used it in the past to reseal the Getrags and they always seem to have a seepage, but not leak per se.
I use another type of sealant made by Mercedes for sealing aluminum parts like timing covers and never had one seep or leak yet.
Dave

The GM product is just rebadged loctite 518. The dealership price is gouging in the extreme. McMaster-Carr has it (PN 75125A66) for $16.87 for a 50 ml tube.
I've never had a problem with it sealing 282's or 4 speeds. I just scrape the surface to clean all the old gasket material, apply a 1/8" bead of the new sealant, and use my finger to spread the material out so it covers the whole mating surface.
Muncies are cake to work on compared to 282's. They practically take themselves apart.
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I had a set on my Northstar car and they galled the original sealing surface on my CV joint tulips. That surface probably isn't treated to be a bearing race.

Basically, if your transmission is in good shape, you don't need them. If your transmission isn't in good shape, they don't help.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
My one tranny the bearings have play up and keep blowing out the axle seals. I didn't want to replace the bearins yet, so I took the easy way out and installed the Fiero Store bearings and the leak is gone and the axle feels supported with no play now. That isn't their function, but it is prolonging my tranny until I get the time to take it out to do the bearings.
Dave
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
You may have to replace your CV joint cups when you do overhaul the transmission.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock