Fuel Expansion Tank Removal by sjmaye
Started on: 07-06-2008 05:07 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: sjmaye on 11-10-2008 04:14 AM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
A week or so ago I was trying to find out how to get this bugger out of my 88GT. No real luck. I figured out how and thought I would post it for others.

1-Remove passenger side wheel well

2- Remove the two hoses connecting the expansion tank to the expansion tank lines and two screw shown in pic below.

3- Remove inner sail panel by removing all screws and fasteners noted.

4- Remove inner sail by gently pulling away the top and work your way down watching for obstructions and careful not to crack.

5- Now another look under the wheel well. This pic is after the expansion tank was removed. I am showing it show where the elusive screw is located on the upper rail.

6- Now from the top where you removed the inner sail panel. With your fingers fell between the body and the spaceframe for the bolt head. You will need to push aside the black foam insulation with your fingers to get at the bolt head just below. Once you have an idea of the general location you can get a wrench on it. I used a zero angle ratchet wrench.

7- Once you get that last bolt out the expansion tank will drop out.

Now for replacement.

1- I definitely wanted to have all 3 bolts back in holding the tank in place, but there was no way to put that bolt back in. I cut a notch in the tank mounting hole for this bolt(I also painted the tank while it was out)

2- Before attempting to mount the tank bolt the difficult bolt in the upper rail, but leave it loose as shown

3- Slide the expansion tank up in place. Hang the tank notch on the loose bolt. Install the other 2 bolts to hold in place.
Sorry no pics.

4- Tighten the difficult from above. Just as you removed it.
Sorry no pics.

5- Reinstall the rubber lines and inner wheel well.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Daviero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroDirect Link to This Post
Where there is a will there is a way.
I had the luxury of having no engine in the bay so I made a small window hole on the inside of the chassis opposite the screw you had to take bodywork off for. I used a pencil grinder tip on my air die grinder and with a bit of time ground the end of the screw off to the point it came out, releasing the tank. I put a nut-sert in that ear of the tank and bolt the tank from in place through my window hole. :-)
When I did this I laughed to myself that I might be accused by some as being anal for removing something to paint that no-one would ever see. Good to know I'm not alone! Cheers!

------------------
Daviero - 88 N* GT

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for starting this topic! You saved me from asking "what is that silver thing with hoses on it?"... lol!
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hi, just curious, why did you remove it in the first place? Was something wrong, or was it just to paint it? I'm just curious. I am also anal enough that I would remove it JUST to paint it so it looked good again (if not just to protect it). But I was just curious if you were experiencing any issues, maintenance (replacing lines) or just cosmetic / longevity reasons.

Thanks!

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 / 455
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroDirect Link to This Post
Just to freshen it up a bit. It was not corroded as my car is 50,000 miles young and never seen a winter, but after freshening up the engine bay, the tank looked poor in comparison.

------------------
Daviero - 88 N* GT

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Take it from a Navy guy who has seen his share of fuel system fires: If it involves the fuel system... it is NEVER a bad idea to treat or prevent corrosion. Good call.
------------------
Petty Officer Michael C Casaceli
Aircraft Electronics Technician Second Class
AIMD Brunswick (2007-present)
Patrol Squadron Ten (2003-2007)
United States Navy

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 07-07-2008).]

88Slayer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88SlayerSend a Private Message to 88SlayerDirect Link to This Post
Any idea if it would be pssible to hook this up to a coupe tank? or is it not worth it?
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2008 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
The only reason I did all this was that I was applying POR15 to the wheel wells for rust and could not stand the thought of leaving that rusty tank up there.
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2008 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88Slayer:

Any idea if it would be pssible to hook this up to a coupe tank? or is it not worth it?

The coupe should already have this tank. My 88 coupe has it.

------------------
Petty Officer Michael C Casaceli
Aircraft Electronics Technician Second Class
AIMD Brunswick (2007-present)
Patrol Squadron Ten (2003-2007)
United States Navy

88Slayer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88SlayerSend a Private Message to 88SlayerDirect Link to This Post
Aye I found this out tonight when pulling my notchback clip off.
bull_run

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bull_runSend a Private Message to bull_runDirect Link to This Post

can someone please tell me where these 2 lines coming from the expansion tank go to? I know 1 line is coming from the gas tank to the expansion tank. ( don't know which line it is ) and the line leaving the expansion tank where is it going too?

Thanks

Originally posted by sjmaye:

A week or so ago I was trying to find out how to get this bugger out of my 88GT. No real luck. I figured out how and thought I would post it for others.

1-Remove passenger side wheel well

2- Remove the two hoses connecting the expansion tank to the expansion tank lines and two screw shown in pic below.

3- Remove inner sail panel by removing all screws and fasteners noted.

4- Remove inner sail by gently pulling away the top and work your way down watching for obstructions and careful not to crack.

5- Now another look under the wheel well. This pic is after the expansion tank was removed. I am showing it show where the elusive screw is located on the upper rail.

6- Now from the top where you removed the inner sail panel. With your fingers fell between the body and the spaceframe for the bolt head. You will need to push aside the black foam insulation with your fingers to get at the bolt head just below. Once you have an idea of the general location you can get a wrench on it. I used a zero angle ratchet wrench.

7- Once you get that last bolt out the expansion tank will drop out.

Now for replacement.

1- I definitely wanted to have all 3 bolts back in holding the tank in place, but there was no way to put that bolt back in. I cut a notch in the tank mounting hole for this bolt(I also painted the tank while it was out)

2- Before attempting to mount the tank bolt the difficult bolt in the upper rail, but leave it loose as shown

3- Slide the expansion tank up in place. Hang the tank notch on the loose bolt. Install the other 2 bolts to hold in place.
Sorry no pics.

4- Tighten the difficult from above. Just as you removed it.
Sorry no pics.

5- Reinstall the rubber lines and inner wheel well.

PFF
System Bot
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
I think it goes to the evap. charcoal canister.

Norm
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt88norm:

I think it goes to the evap. charcoal canister.

Norm

Yep: the bottom line goes to the fuel tank & the top line goes to the charcoal canister.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Photos sent in PM

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock