3800 coolant flow path...again by rwlekey
Started on: 06-28-2008 11:28 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: fanatic on 03-01-2009 10:09 AM
rwlekey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rwlekeySend a Private Message to rwlekeyDirect Link to This Post
I know, this has been done to death. I've been in the search and archives for a couple of days. For every thread on the topic, I can find a contradiction either in the same thread or in another thread somewhere else. If someone here really understands the 3800 cooling flow please respond here. You'll be doing us newbies a great service. (as an aside, Lloyde had a diagram on his site at one time, but it's no longer there. If you have it, it might help the discussion). Also, if you're only guessing or only have theories, please don't respond...again you'll be doing us newbies a great favor. Now to the questions and pics--

Without regard to Fiero specifics, please explain the flow direction at points A and B. Where does the coolant flow from and where does it flow to?

Without regard to Fiero specifics, please explain the flow direction at points 1, 2, and 3. Where does the coolant flow from and where does it flow to?

Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Coolant flows to the heater core from the connection under the supercharger to the connection to the water pump. In other words the flow is from point A into the heater core and it returns back to point B. Point 3 connects to the rt cooDlant pipe that supplys the radiator

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-28-2008).]

rwlekey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2008 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rwlekeySend a Private Message to rwlekeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Coolant flows to the heater core from the connection under the supercharger to the connection to the water pump. In other words the flow is from point A into the heater core and it returns back to point B. Point 3 connects to the rt cooDlant pipe that supplys the radiator

Thank you Dennis! I really appreciate the info!

Now on to the real question and why I'm asking it--
Sorry that this seems so obtuse, but there really is some confusion on my part (as well as others) trying to sort through the options in their build. I'm using Fiero Addiction's 3800 low engine and trans mounts and keeping the alternator in the stock position which (I believe) allows keeping the stock alternator bracket with it's coolant plumbing as described by Dennis above.

So my question is--

With the flow as Dennis described above, can an '86 Fiero heater core inlet be connected directly to point A and the heater core outlet be connected directly to point B?
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2008 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
This pic should help,with your alternater.

Back to your question,yes,but I used a curved hose and need a small piece of copper pipe (abot 5 inches) to attach the 2 hoses together.Unless you have a bettery way to route a one piece hose from A to the Fiero Inlet.

Allmost forgot.Be carfull when cutting the notch, because your trunk release wireing is inside there.I used an angle grinder,with a cutting wheel.A dremmel wont work as well.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 06-29-2008).]

rwlekey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rwlekeySend a Private Message to rwlekeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

This pic should help,with your alternater.

Back to your question,yes,but I used a curved hose and need a small piece of copper pipe (abot 5 inches) to attach the 2 hoses together.Unless you have a bettery way to route a one piece hose from A to the Fiero Inlet.

Allmost forgot.Be carfull when cutting the notch, because your trunk release wireing is inside there.I used an angle grinder,with a cutting wheel.A dremmel wont work as well.

Thanks JB. I appreciate the response. I'll be pressing forward now!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rwlekey:

Thank you Dennis! I really appreciate the info!

Now on to the real question and why I'm asking it--
Sorry that this seems so obtuse, but there really is some confusion on my part (as well as others) trying to sort through the options in their build. I'm using Fiero Addiction's 3800 low engine and trans mounts and keeping the alternator in the stock position which (I believe) allows keeping the stock alternator bracket with it's coolant plumbing as described by Dennis above.

So my question is--

With the flow as Dennis described above, can an '86 Fiero heater core inlet be connected directly to point A and the heater core outlet be connected directly to point B?

That is correct.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fanatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2009 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fanaticSend a Private Message to fanaticDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to give a big thank you to the people who answered this thread. Very helpful for me.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock