Started on: 04-01-2007 11:33 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: reverend on 10-20-2008 11:52 PM
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Part 2 Using the meter...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/081601.html
Part3
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/082148.html

Note: I plan on this being part 1 of a possible 3 part series.

Many have asked about meter use, guess I will put some of my old EE training to work and create one or our Fieros. If you have tips or see corrections please throw them out.

I'll start out with tips for buying a meter along with clarification of terms, and interpreting readings.

When it comes to electrical checks are you guessing where the problem is? What do you do n a no-start situation? What do you do when the starter solenoid just clicks? What do you do when the lights are dim at idle? How do you check a computer ground circuit problem? Do you replace parts because you heard someone else had a similar problem and hope it works for you?

When the first computer controlled system came about around 1980 many mechanics only had digital or analog meters. This was all there was unless you had access to manufacturers equipment.

Digital voltmeter cost vary from as low as $20 on up. The lower cost meters will buy you lots of good electrical measurements to test and analyze good and bad electrical circuits.
These meter applications and measurements will be slower than the more advanced ones however the results can be just as accurate, provided the user understands meter application and measurement principles.

If you have not yet purchased a volt meter, be certain to examine several makes so you'll get the model that's right for the job.
Displays: Look for large display digits, plainly marked knobs and test lead jacks.
Test leads: Look for test lead sturdiness equipped with screw-on alligator clip ends. After have this type you will understand why.
Sears offers a couple low cost meter that are fairly nice.

Here is my old trusty meter. Plan on getting a Sears one this year.

Meter Terms

Volts and Millivolts

When measuring voltage on computer controlled vehicles you must be fluent in converting volts to millivolts or vise versa.
Examples:
0.2volts is read as 2 tens of a volt.
0.02volt is two hundredths of a volt.
0.002 istwo thousandths of a volt.
Convert volts to millivolts by multiplying by 1000.
0.2volts x 1000 = 200 millivolts.
0.02volts is 20 millivolts.
0.002 volts is 2 millivolts.

Ohms and Kilohms or K ohms.

Reading resistance is just as important
2.5ohms is two point five ohms, a typical injector resistance.
300 ohms, a typical coolant sensor resistance on a hot engine.
3000 ohms or 3K, the average resistance for each foot of a new carbon core spark plug wire.
30,000 thirty thousand ohms or 30K.
For most auto applications consider that 30K ohms is the maximum acceptable resistance standard for any suppression core or carbon core spark plug wire. If over 30K ohms, replace it.

Now on most digital meters the display usually shows K ohms meaning thousandths of ohms.
Thus 3.146K on the display is 3146 ohms.

Amps and Milliamps.

Some typical examples for current flow.
3.0amps = 3 amperes. This is the approximate average current flow in an electronic ignition primary circuit.
3 ma = 3 milliamps or 0.003 amps. 3Ma is the approximate current flow in a generic coolant sensor circuit.

Volt Scales.

A digital voltmeter includes a function switch with a different absolute ranges.
What does that mean? The range you choose is sets the maximum voltage you can measure on that scale.
For example.
0-200 mv is zero to 200 millivolts.
0-2 volts.
0-20 volts.
0-200 volts.

In a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) circuit the signal voltage might be 0.52 volts at closed throttle. However if we didn't know this, we would start with the 0-20 scale reading 0.52 volts.
When using a fixed scale, start with the highest scale first. If the reading is very low, select the next lower scale for better accuracy.
If the scale you select is lower than the expected voltage, the digital meter will display OL or a 1.
This means the voltage has exceeded the selected voltage range. If this happens just switch to the next higher range.

If you happen to have an auto-ranging digital meter the meter will select the correct scale range for the circuit being measured. However they can sometime take a couple seconds to switch ranges.

Bar Graphs.

Bar graphs are handy to look for glitches. The bar graph increases or decreases almost as fast as the sensor signal voltage changes. A bar graph can be hand for checking a TPS sensor but not necessary.
They can also be used on an O2 sensor to see it vary from 0.2 to 0.8 volts. Many bar graph meters can also be set for average or instantaneous reading. On average you can see what the average value of the O2 might be running which would relate to lean or rich.

OK the end of Part 1. Part 2 will be voltmeter hookups and resistance measurements. Stay tuned in the next day or so.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 04-22-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Tips from a post by TJM4fun

rule number one: NEVER HOOK up the meter set on ohms to a sensor while it is still connected to the ecm. WHile it is still a low voltage an most likely won;t hurt the ecm, better to be safe than sorry.

rule number two: if your meter has ranges, always start at a higher range and go down if necessary.

the following sensors in the fiero are resistive and should be measured disconnected from the ecm:
CTS
TPS
IAT/MAT
Oil Pressure
temp guage

The o2 sensor actually outputs a very low voltage, about .8v max.

The map sensor is an electronic sensor, and it's output best tested while connected, it is a voltage measurement.

it would take a book to explain all the possible testing methods. it is best to read and understand your meter first. after that
start trying some of the tests listed in the various manuals on known good sensors and parts. the chiltons has a bunch of ignition checks, the fsm also has many tests.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post

Dodgerunner

9686 posts
Member since Sep 2004
Tip from post by spark1

Using a multi meter is kinda like using a slide rule, you should know approximately what the answer should be before taking a reading. And, if you get a wild-ass result, first suspect that you did something wrong.

When reading the resistance of a temperature sensor, always disconnect the unit before taking a measurement. If you know the approximate temperature of the coolant or air where the sensor is operating, there are standard charts showing corresponding resistance that should get you in the ballpark. The sensors are usually dead on, shorted or open.

Some sensors are very hard to measure because of the size and location of the pins so it’s helpful to snip off some pigtails on your next junk yard visit to use for testing. The sensors used on the Fiero are common to many other GM models and are easy to find.

Some of the sensors like the “ECM” shown above are measured pin-to-pin while others like the “Gage” are measured from one pin to chassis ground.

Modern meters are usually auto-ranging so you don’t have to worry about what scale your using but you do have to pay attention to the displayed multiplier. If you have manual selections, the same rule applies when interpreting what you see.

By the way, if your finger measures one Ohm, you have a metallic finger.
StuGood

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:
Meter Terms

Volts and Millivolts

When measuring voltage on computer controlled vehicles you must be fluent in converting volts to millivolts or vise versa.
Examples:
0.2volts is read as 2 tens of a volt.
0.2volt is two hundredths of a volt.
0.002 istwo thousandths of a volt.

Correction, just to eliminate possible confusion here: Methinks 0.2volt is twenty hundredths of a volt. Guessing you meant:
".02volt is two hundredths of a volt."

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
Very Very good info, keep it up. As I said before the multimeter is a great tool to have,
Don
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to watch that I don't have typo's.
Thanks Stugood.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 04-02-2007).]

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Not a hijack just a link to my thread with pics of two Multimeters.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/064409.html
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Great stuff fierohoho. I hope I can do justice to the next installment of taking measurements with a meter.
Planing to have photos with it.
Can't you just feel the anticipation building..!
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
A "+" to you for taking the time to post this informaiton.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
And a + from me too!

Nolan
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Though I would bump these back up for new owners, and keep them out of the archive in case I wanted to make updates.
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
reverend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reverendSend a Private Message to reverendDirect Link to This Post
If I may add another caution here. I have a Beckman digital that came with three leads. One is labeled HV for high voltage. It is a thousand to one lead. So whatever voltage is present, the meter will show 1/1000 of that. So 12 volts would show as .0012 volts. Check whatever meter you get for a high voltage lead and keep it separate so it does not drive you batty. I did not notice it as it looked just like the positive lead.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock