Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  New ECM option for Northstar swappers (Page 6)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
New ECM option for Northstar swappers by ryan.hess
Started on: 02-08-2006 11:02 PM
Replies: 229
Last post by: Will on 12-19-2008 03:46 PM
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Just an FYI...

I don't think I charge enough for my work. .

I could have told you that.

Joe

IP: Logged
1fastcaddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2007 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
bump
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2007 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

1fastcaddy

618 posts
Member since Oct 2004
I think im gonna go ahead and get your chip and diy harness kit, let me know how much. Drew
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post

Anything is possible, actually, it is already set up to run the 4t60e, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Can you tell me how? Is there a special code mask for this?

I have seen in other threads that you must get another controller or PCM to run the "E" transmissions and that the 7730 is not set up to do this. Any information you have on how the 7730 can control a 4T60E would be greatly appreciated.

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Ryan, if you make up a harness lay it flat on a peice of plywood, and trace it. Then Transpose the layout to paper. All you are doing is making a blueprint for customers to put back on plywood and build a harness on. They lay the wire and terminate the ends.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rjblaze:
Can you tell me how? Is there a special code mask for this?

I have seen in other threads that you must get another controller or PCM to run the "E" transmissions and that the 7730 is not set up to do this. Any information you have on how the 7730 can control a 4T60E would be greatly appreciated.

You would need to run a 9396 PCM and modify the DF codemask to run the northstar. I could do it, but wouldn't be able to test it
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

ryan.hess

20784 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by p8ntman442:

Ryan, if you make up a harness lay it flat on a peice of plywood, and trace it. Then Transpose the layout to paper. All you are doing is making a blueprint for customers to put back on plywood and build a harness on. They lay the wire and terminate the ends.

Well heck, I've already got the harness traced out on some plywood. That's how I build them.
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2007 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Ryan - You have "PM" mail.

--Allen
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2007 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Anything is possible, actually, it is already set up to run the 4t60e, so that shouldn't be a problem. 4t65e/4t80e would be more difficult, but not impossible. You'd have to change a few values to make it shift correctly, and you would need something (external) to control the pressure on the transmission.

The open loop AFR is on my to do list... no, really. It hasn't been a big enough deal for me to change it yet, or put another way, I'm tired of burning chips. I've been working on other things, like cleaning up my wiring, and the short runner intake.

the 7730 ecm wont control a 4t60e tranny, you are misinformed. it will only control the lock up TQ converter on regular 4t60 trannies..
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2007 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronrus:

the 7730 ecm wont control a 4t60e tranny, you are misinformed. it will only control the lock up TQ converter on regular 4t60 trannies..

No, but the 9396 can.
Bixby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2008 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BixbySend a Private Message to BixbyDirect Link to This Post
Ryan are you still making these chips? I'm interested. I sent you a PM not sure if you got it. Now would this be sequential injection or batch fire? Maybe some one could tell me Ryan's email address or his phone number?
PFF
System Bot
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2008 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
see the little box that says E-mail ??
click on it!!!!!

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

CosVegFiero

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CosVegFieroSend a Private Message to CosVegFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have been trying to reach Ryan as well, PM'd and emailed. Is he still around?

Dick
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
My email's not that reliable nowdays... I just replied to your PM.
drfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drfieroSend a Private Message to drfieroDirect Link to This Post
Will your PCM be a stand alone processor or will I need an ECM for the transmission? Can the N* PCM be hooked up to run in the Fiero? Thanks. The DR.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by drfiero:

Will your PCM be a stand alone processor or will I need an ECM for the transmission? Can the N* PCM be hooked up to run in the Fiero? Thanks. The DR.

I believe that Ryan is designing and programming the 7730 ECM exclusively for stick swaps. To my knowledge the 7730 cannot provide any shifting capability for the 4T65eHD or the 4T80. You can use an aftermarket controller but the setup will set you back about $1000.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

drfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drfieroSend a Private Message to drfieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dennis but if I am going to run a stock N* with the auto trans, why not just use the OEM PCM? Can't I just wire it into the electrical?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Dennis but if I am going to run a stock N* with the auto trans, why not just use the OEM PCM? Can't I just wire it into the electrical?

That would seem like the easiest approach but it might not be. Using the N* PCM is difficult and the aftermarket programming support for it is still not up to par. The N* PCM must receive many body, brake sensor, VATS, climate control, ABS, traction control and other signals to function. Otherwise it default to a "limp home" mode. The N* PCM is a difficult PCM to work with and most swaps that I have seen use aftermarket PCM's. IMO the LS1 PCM would be a better option as there is lots of support for it.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I'm putting my resources into the public domain... I don't have time to work on this stuff anymore, and after the HD crash real (paying) work has just piled up. So here it is. But don't sell it. I mean it.

This isn't exactly a completed tutorial, I started it earlier this year, but just sort of wrapped it up. If you need help, I'm sure somebody else has done it before.

http://northstar.7p.com/

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 12-10-2008).]

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
awesome!
afgun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for afgunSend a Private Message to afgunDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you copyright what you put up for download, Ryan, so you have a leg to stand on going after someone who puts it on ebay/etc...

Your page is a good start; but I don't see any wiring info, etc...

Also, why do you recommend using a v6 memcal ?
PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by afgun:

Make sure you copyright what you put up for download, Ryan, so you have a leg to stand on going after someone who puts it on ebay/etc...

Your page is a good start; but I don't see any wiring info, etc...

Also, why do you recommend using a v6 memcal ?

hmm... yeah, like I said it was put up quickly. 90% of it was written earlier this year. If I can get some free time I'll fill it out a bit and upload the wiring diagrams.

drfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drfieroSend a Private Message to drfieroDirect Link to This Post
Ryan, can I still get a ECM for my 99 N*? Do you want an exchange unit? Thanks, I appreciate your digital skills.
drfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drfieroSend a Private Message to drfieroDirect Link to This Post

drfiero

10 posts
Member since Sep 2001
I contacted Accel ( the HP ignition people ) and asked if they marketed a ECM for the N* engine. Know what they told me???

People that own Cadillacs are not interested in more performance.

Just goes to show you that there is life on Mars!
Pet peeve: Ppl hoo txt msg n 4ums.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

People that own Cadillacs are not interested in more performance.

This is true. or rather more accurately, people that own Cadillacs are not interested in paying for more performance. I used to sell a 80mm upgraded throttle body for the N* on the N* forums. It was a documented 6+hp, 15lb-ft more torque, throughout the power band. Certainly more than any tune would give... Didn't sell many and gave it up. I wasn't charging much either.
CBulen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2008 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CBulenClick Here to visit CBulen's HomePageSend a Private Message to CBulenDirect Link to This Post
Hi Ryan,

I am swapping a Northstar + GM F40 6speed (2006) into a 2nd generation MR2, and I need some info on running the engine.

I would prefer to buy a 2000+ Northstar as I understand there were various mechanical upgrades, like roller cam followers.
I saw that the 2000+ N* uses coil on plug and this requires the eDist and a crankshaft position sensor if I used your ECM solution.

Is it possible to use the 1994-1999 coils/ignition system on the 2000 N*? I have found a 2000 N* L37 for a good price, but I need to buy an engine soon, but I don't want to buy the wrong year.

I saw that you are no longer making the wiring harnesses, is that correct?

If so, can you provide wiring diagrams and parts lists so that I can make my own?
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CBulen:
Is it possible to use the 1994-1999 coils/ignition system on the 2000 N*? I have found a 2000 N* L37 for a good price, but I need to buy an engine soon, but I don't want to buy the wrong year.

IIRC you would also need to run an external crank trigger with the 94-99 coils because the internal crank sensors on the 2000+ won't work with the 7730 ECM.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The 93-99 ICM will not operate with the Y2K+ crank reluctor wheel. The crank wheel was changed dramatically AND the positions of the crank sensors were changed slightly.

You CAN, however, put the roller valvetrain heads on an earlier shortblock.
The roller cam heads DO make 300 HP, but they have just terrible exhaust ports.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-19-2008).]

afgun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for afgunSend a Private Message to afgunDirect Link to This Post
The RWD heads are supposed to correct the imbalance; is there a way to run them without the VVT (ie standard cams) on an early block?

--andrew
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
No, the blocks are different. The RWD block has coolant passages at the front of the block and a different oil system to deal with the larger cylinder head oil demands of the VVT.

Even if you want to adapt the coolant passages with extra plumbing and used fixed cam gears to eliminate the need for VVT oil, I'm not sure if the front case sealing rails will line up between the fixed cam block and VVT heads.

Why would you want to do that? The RWD ECM (for engines with the 58X crank wheel) has been hacked.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock