Started on: 04-10-2004 01:03 PM
Replies: 145
Last post by: bmwguru on 12-06-2008 06:53 PM
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2004 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Ha, I dont think I can resist that!
So you are not going to have a kit on it? ...and I guess you are going to stretch it?

I would like to think about the rearhatch....I just need to know the stretch and the model fiero you have...

this could be fun!

IP: Logged
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2004 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
I was going to do a kit,,and the lambo kit did not need to be stretch(it really is not bad looking,they did their homework)

i have a fastback 87,but the body is a little ruff so i might try to by a better body and 88 model.since i started the v12 project there leaves no money for the kit maybe much l8er

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2004 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
wow hi all..sorry i have being busy lately

yeah i know the project is getting slow but all i can say that i am getting married in aug 25 and my g/f is taxing my paycheck worst then the government on tax season

well here r some new pics

i just got the block back from cleaning and boy oh boy it really looks sweet

as u can see, i have a gr8 big shop, shipping office,parts room,lunch room with table and fridge,full machine shop with assembly room

i dont know but think i shall do them in red?

lots of the covers and the oil got sand blasted and cleaned pretty good i dont know if they will get colour

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2004 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post

ducattiman

674 posts
Member since Mar 2003

here r the intakes,the throttle bodies r crap so i am getting 2 throttle from a ford mustang to help it breath a lot more then standard

wow just look at the old gasket marks,,wow alot of porting to match to the gaskets..i know i suck at camera pic but i cant do justice for those heads,the intakes flow straight at the valves,no turns nor curves in any way

yeah sorry that i am not a gr8 story teller like alot of other guys,darth to name 1 really has a way with words,,my hands do all the talking for me

Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2004 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
Still, you got a lot of respect for trying something unusual and challenging. Just keep takin detailed pics!

------------------
VOTE FOR THE FIERO!

Black '87 GT Auto - Daily Driver & Autocrosser
Eibach springs, Koni shocks, Kosei K1s, Kumho Ecsta V700s, poly bushings, rear swaybar, MSD ignition, shift-kit, custom intake scoop

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2004 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
I have to say.. If you get to work, that would be one of the most amazing swaps ever......
MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2004 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
thats frikin sweet.. good job.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2004 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
looking promising! So you can make it fit longitudally in a non stretched fiero?
..I know a main member of a big US carclub around here, when I see him I will ask him where to find a TH325...you never know... is it the same trans used in old Toronado's? what cars do they come in besides the Eldorado someone mentioned?

I am sketching some ideas for your decklid right now...its fun will have to scan them later (old pencil and paper approach!)
You want the engine to be visible right?

btw...tell your story in pics of progress if words are not enough

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GTR in Progress
1969 Chevy Suburban

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2004 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
here is the story of the transmission

Caddy Eldorado 1982-85 th325-4l

1979-81 th325

1967-78 th425

Caddy Seville 1980-81 th325

1982-85 Th325-4l

Olds Toronado 1966-78 Th425

1979-81 Th325

1982-85 Th325-4l

Buick Riviera i believe the same years as above

i really cant wait to see them pics and maybe give u a bag of euro to make it come true.

i really like the f-40,and other glass back ,,

alittle thinking here fie ro,,to say if some one was able to back you with a few grand or so could u make a wide body kit,since u have the skills some of us can only dream of,to come up with a custom kit like some of other guys have been tring to do

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2004 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post

ducattiman

674 posts
Member since Mar 2003
here is what i am chatting about..

i really like the wide body look with the huge side openings

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
That's a great engine with an awful ECM setup, that's why they're cheep, seems nobody (BMW dealers too)can keep them running right. We're planing on using one in a kit car and will trash the BMW ECM and use maybe an Electromotive unit instead. Good luck.
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:
here is what i am chatting about..

i really like the wide body look with the huge side openings

This is actually a german car...I read the guy is developing new kits, you might want to check those...
I don't have the time to build a widebody kit myself...After finishing my body I will redo the complete interior and I am planning an engineswap.....and I still need to swap a running 350 in my suburban..
Money is not an issue, I would build anything for fun but I just haven't got the time... this is not my job

But I would like to try a few ideas
I''ve been looking at some F40 decklid pictures....I have never worked with transparant material..I guess they are heat formed, nothing like fiberglass...I hope someone can give some info about that. But I agree you need a nice "window" decklid for showing the engine
I''ll try to draw something that will match your stock body..... or are you still thinking about a kit?

...so are you staying with the BMW ecu? I guess a Haltech ecu could be most affordable if it works with this engine....what are your plans?

Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
Who's gonna be the first to put a Viper engine in a fiero?

------------------
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR THE FIERO!

Black '87 GT Auto - Daily Driver & Autocrosser
Eibach springs, Koni shocks, Kosei K1s, Kumho Ecsta V700s, poly bushings, rear swaybar, MSD ignition, shift-kit, custom intake scoop

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Hey! We need an update! ....Or pictures at least. What is the progress?
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ultimav12.ca/

i will be at the shop tomorrow but here is a site with a bmw v12 in a kitcar click on the video and enjoy

gryphon025

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gryphon025Send a Private Message to gryphon025Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tugboat:

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

But yeah, I'm working on it along with umpteen other things. It doesn't have anywhere near top priority at this point. I'm not sure if it will fit longitudinally with a VW tranny, it might require firewall mods. The stock tranny setup (a 4.10 muncie would be excellent) puts a tri-pot where the exhaust needs to be. Rotary exhaust is very hot and can't be restricted if you want power. You can't turn the engine due to oil drainback issues. But you might be able to rotate the trans. I'm not sure if this would cause hood clearance problems, high CG, tranny lube or other issues yet. I haven't even looked at TH 325s, I want to start out N/A (should be around 200 HP with street porting) and need some serious gearing (& a high stall converter) for that. Plus, unless you reversed it, most of the engine (the eccentric shaft is 16" long) and all of the tranny would be behind the axle. But someday I hope to do it, one way or another.

GL

It would depend on what mortor, but I do know that a mazda rotory like from the earlier RX7's is about the same weight and size as a 350 small block. It is actually a little shorter. I had a 79 RX7 with no engine and at the time I had a couple SBC's sitting at the shop so we had a bright idea to put one in the 7. Worked great with a TH350 and the stock rearend.

Sorry I digress.

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
I was actualy thinking about this thread last night and was going to ask for an update. Looks like others like this thread too.

Keep the pics comming. If you pull this off you will have some mad respect and a cool ass car.

------------------
-Chris

Custom Gun Metal 86 GT
Look here for more pics - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/040573.html

***95 Camaro 3.4 swap, Ported and polished heads and intakes, Ported plenium, 57mm Throttle body, Sprint Headers, CRX CAI, Custom Cam, AFP Regulator, 8mm Splitfire wires, Platnum +4 plugs, steel vacuum lines, steel braided EGR tube, new Wire Harness, New Exhaust, No Cat, Flowmaster, polished poly dog bone. Isuzu 5 speed, Short through shifter
***Intrax 2" drop springs, Full Polly Suspension, Sencetrack Struts and Shocks, Grand AM brake upgrade, steel braided brake lines, 17" Gun Metal Wheels, Khumo Tires
***Racing Seats, SunPro tach w/ shift light, White face guages, carbon fiber Steering wheel, Carbon Fiber dash accents and custom sphere shift knob,

boristheblade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boristhebladeClick Here to visit boristheblade's HomePageSend a Private Message to boristhebladeDirect Link to This Post
Budump... anyone know what's happened to ducatti and that V-12 I was so anxious to see completed?
bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Hey! Looks like it's going to be insane! You should consider doing something that Troy Trueleo did with his aluminum block MR2 and girdle the main caps. It won't be cheap, but if you can find someone to do it you will probably feel much more comfortable making power with that engine. I REALLY like the TEC3 and if you decide to go with it I would offer any help I could, and I know that Francis T's son is very experienced with it (much more than I am). Anyway, it looks like a fun project. Good luck!
--Bryson

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo =) 396 whp!

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gryphon025:

It would depend on what mortor, but I do know that a mazda rotory like from the earlier RX7's is about the same weight and size as a 350 small block. It is actually a little shorter. I had a 79 RX7 with no engine and at the time I had a couple SBC's sitting at the shop so we had a bright idea to put one in the 7. Worked great with a TH350 and the stock rearend.

Sorry I digress.

No, a rotary is nowhere near the size or weight of a SBC, just because you can put a SBC in a RX7. Let me know when you find a SBC 18 1/2" from pulleys to flywheel, and weighs 250lb like the 12A. A 13B is SLIGHTLY larger. The only ones much bigger are the three rotor motors which were for the Japanese market.

RX7 purists complain long and hard about that swap (you aren't the first or last to do it) messing up the weight balance.

GL

[This message has been edited by Tugboat (edited 07-10-2004).]

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
WWOWW! This is going to be good!

Keep the good work!

PFF
System Bot
DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
A rotary engine weighs as much as an sbc? Haha LOL ROFL HAHA

I was just working w/ some rotaries today.....you can actually pick them up
if the accesories aren't bolted on! LOL

Sounds to me like somebody hasn't worked on any themselves....LOL

Keep it goin on that v12 swap! That is going to be awesome when completed.
Your license plate should say VIPR4LNCH!!

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
V12!
V12!!
V12!!!
V12!!!!
V12!!!!!
V12!!!!
V12!!!
V12!!
V12!

What happend i wanna see the monster in the Ferrario!!!!

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk www.XoticRydz.tk

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fie Ro:

But I would like to try a few ideas
I''ve been looking at some F40 decklid pictures....I have never worked with transparant material..I guess they are heat formed, nothing like fiberglass...I hope someone can give some info about that. But I agree you need a nice "window" decklid for showing the engine
I''ll try to draw something that will match your stock body..... or are you still thinking about a kit?

Try Norm's Fiberglass: www.normsfiberglass.com

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tugboat:
No, a rotary is nowhere near the size or weight of a SBC, just because you can put a SBC in a RX7. Let me know when you find a SBC 18 1/2" from pulleys to flywheel, and weighs 250lb like the 12A. A 13B is SLIGHTLY larger. The only ones much bigger are the three rotor motors which were for the Japanese market.

RX7 purists complain long and hard about that swap (you aren't the first or last to do it) messing up the weight balance.

The N/A rotaries are very light. However, the 13B turbo and associated hardware and acoutrements are only about 50 lbs lighter than an iron block Chevy with aluminum heads, intake, w/p, etc. IOW, an LT1 in an FD3 only gains about 50# over the nose. LS1's in FD3's actually lose a little weight.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
'79 would be a first gen, right? Would have come with a N/A 12A, I think.

I can understand what you're saying about the later twin turbo models. But they can make enough power without a swap. V8s are probably more reliable at that point though.

Sorry about all this garbage in your thread, D-man. Hope the project is going well!!

GL

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TaurusThug:

V12!
V12!!
V12!!!
V12!!!!
V12!!!!!
V12!!!!
V12!!!
V12!!
V12!

What happend i wanna see the monster in the Ferrario!!!!

I believe he said he was getting married in August, so he's probably pretty busy with wedding stuff right now and will be for the next 2 months.

Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post
More pictures Please.
gumert

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2004 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gumertSend a Private Message to gumertDirect Link to This Post

Those v12's can be gotten fairly cheap, as some of the cars they were in apparently had fire troubles

This is actually the only reason I read the thread. While the BMW 7 series didn't have fire troubles, all cars on that chassis (be they v8 or v12) were plauged with TONS of issues.

The only reason I actually read this thread was to see if anyone else posted this warning. Check this site out to see what other people who have owned 750iL's have to say. http://my750.com/ It outlines why you can go out and buy a car that sold for $120,000 in 1990 for a mear $2,500 now ($5,500 blue book, but I looked at one a few months ago for 25 hundred). Problems problems problems. While not all of them are engine related, some of them are. They have a nasty tendency to leak lots of oil/antifreeze everywhere to the point of people who owned them wouldnt park in front of the person's house they were visiting for fear of leaving massive marks on their street.

All I can say is click that link and read up on the problems the cars faced. I am not sure that all of them will carry over to you, but I am sure that some of them will. BMW parts are not cheap, especially for that engine.

I dont mean to be the bringer of bad news, but better look into the possibility of trouble now rather than later.

For anyone who wants to see a $120,000 car go for $2,900, copy and paste this url into your browser. It wont wory if you click it. [URL=http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=149384130&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfiel ]http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=149384130&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfiel[/UR L] d=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=0&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_5_%7CB-5000%7CD-_42_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-08889&aff=nati onal

[This message has been edited by gumert (edited 07-17-2004).]

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2004 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((I dont mean to be the bringer of bad news, but better look into the possibility of trouble now rather than later)))))))))))))))))))))))))

ok now i am lost

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2004 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
The only actual engine problems listed were water and oil leaks, and the water pump. The rest was related to the vehicle.

GL

PFF
System Bot
Maetrix66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2004 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Maetrix66Click Here to visit Maetrix66's HomePageSend a Private Message to Maetrix66Direct Link to This Post
So, does that mean that once he gets this engine into the fiero it will be TWICE as prone to engine fire??

LOL

We are Fiero owners, we LAUGH in the face of engine fires!!!

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2004 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Maetrix66:

We are Fiero owners, we LAUGH in the face of engine fires!!!

GTDude don't laugh anymore...

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Bump... Anymore progress..??
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
Eh all. well today is the big day yep GETTING MARRIED tying the knot,,

but i have been search for a way to reverse the transaxle for the thm 325 and no luck,if i cant find a way this hole project is goning to the crapper.

i have been searching googgle and emailing ,some have returned with bad info others have just not returned at all,,hmmm project is looking bad as of now

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
With a V8, reversing the transmission puts the transmission and most of the engine ahead of the rear axle to improve weight distribution. However, a V12 is longer than a V8 (isn't it?)
So you may want to keep the production orientation of the trans...
But I haven't measured it so I don't know.

What about the usual candidates: Porsche/Getrag longitudinal transaxle, Audi/VW?

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2004 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post

Good luck, man! Best wishes to ya!

GL

boristheblade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2004 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boristhebladeClick Here to visit boristheblade's HomePageSend a Private Message to boristhebladeDirect Link to This Post
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/THM-425/
No way that can work for you?
mr.tourismo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr.tourismoClick Here to visit mr.tourismo's HomePageSend a Private Message to mr.tourismoDirect Link to This Post
i had the same idea to make a htach for the fiero... one day at the qwreckers i saw a camaro )from late 80īs i mesured the rear window, and louvers and aparently it should fit with some minor mods on the fiero notchback
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Congrats.

Now get back to work!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave