Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  SPY PICS!....first secrets of the GTR exposed! (Page 13)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
SPY PICS!....first secrets of the GTR exposed! by Fie Ro
Started on: 07-21-2003 07:25 AM
Replies: 610
Last post by: Fie Ro on 03-14-2009 06:03 PM
Goodall

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2006 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GoodallSend a Private Message to GoodallDirect Link to This Post
i really hope you considder selling parts fie ro, id love one of your rear decklids and rear bumpers, awesome car.
IP: Logged
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2006 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom88:

Are you willing to tell what brand of resin you used? I tried my hand at covering a couple pieces with CF and it came out looking yellowed and horrible from the resin and my lack of experience.

Custom88: You want to use a clear Epoxy resin, not the polyester resin sold in most stores.

Bob

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Fie Ro; are you planing on making your side scoops avaible for sale, if so I'd be intrested in a set. Joe
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Props to one of the greats!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, not many updates due to winterweather and lack of motivation lately...(need to recharge my battery!)...I have finished the doorsills and got the stickers done but I am not installing the sills untill I have restored the doorhinges and realigned the doors, they have quite some play after 150Kmiles and daily use and i dont want them to scratch these sills

The vinyl is pretty close to the bodycolor and looking pretty subtle with the CF

All in all the body is pretty much done now, I still have some little stuff cooking for the mirrors though In the meantime I am still gathering parts to get the engineswap going and the interior buildup needs some kick in the butt too

Originally posted by Goodall:
i really hope you considder selling parts fie ro, id love one of your rear decklids and rear bumpers, awesome car.

Thanks but selling parts (=making new molds) is still low on the list, getting the interior and engineswap done has priority now...

Originally posted by motoracer838:
Fie Ro; are you planing on making your side scoops avaible for sale, if so I'd be intrested in a set. Joe

Thanks but very little chance here..., basically they are slightly modified mecham copies. Shouldnt be that hard to get a set and modify them, also Aus and Dietmar are selling some nice sidescoops already.(Not shure if Dietmar still sells his though, these are nice)
I am not unwilling to sell parts but it needs a lot of additional work and my first goal is just to get the damn Fiero done
With that said, the journey itself has been pretty entertaining and learnful so far. Still having fun! (and its still daily driven!)
Cheers

------------------

1987GT getting 'concept GTR' treatment...1-body buildup 2-interior buildup

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Thaks for the reply. don't you know that these things are never finished, jk. Good luck with your cool car, and lets hope that people are done running into it. Joe
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

well...it looks spring is right around the corner, finally...so I do feel the urge to clean up!...
made some mounting clips and found an older trunkcover to hide some mess in the back...carpet is still dirty

the old 2.8 has been very reliable last years but may retire when this puppy comes together and alive

so I was going to look how to mount a safe front battery setup..put a spare battery in the trunk to figure out a setup

got distracted by all the dirt/salt/sanding dust and leaves gathered under the hood over the years...now the body panels look clean its obvious the rest isnt...hmmmm cleanup time...!? Might as well remove and paint some stuff lol

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001
I never cared before but it does make a difference :

Heres a sneekpeek of whats cooking:

Termites!
OO7
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Those are some really Bad A$$ed termites!!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I found out when they take sides and mate they will glow....just need to catch em then
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
oh oh oh, i know what it is, can I guess?

Too bad, I will.

is it turn signals in the mirror housings?

PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2006 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
^^^ we have a winner! I just finished soldering and testing:

its hard to take good pix, you hardly see them when off and they have a more orange shine when on.

you can do some weird shapes or logo's this way...but I tried to keep it simple, looks it will match my fiero fine

------------------

1987GT getting 'concept GTR' treatment...1-body buildup 2-interior buildup

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2006 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Fie Ro,

You, madcurl, and skit-time,..you guys have like a zillion creative ideas rolled into one fiero !

Most would be happy with just one of your innovations.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-26-2006).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tony, I hope you can fullfill your ideas with your choptop its fun!
Got another termite attack at sunset:

Luckily theyre pretty well organised
the other mirror is a nice jig to fab up another set of ...uh.. anti termite lasers lol

But I need some help keeping the shine of polished mirrors...Ive wetsanded and polished them for many many many hours again and again but they still corode fast. any fingerprint or waterdrop stain will be visible...I tried some clearcoat but it gets dull too (first pic this post)...will wax work or is there an other solution for protection? I didnt want to chrome them as I really like the shine of polished potmetal
Tusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2006 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I was gonna take a picture "Exoticse" style...lol...but it bounced right back

So this mirror is almost done again...when I started there was some serious surface buildup of paint and such but I cleaned it and finally it is a darn fine mirror

and it will shine at night too:

got it mounted tonight but its not wired yet. I want to route the wires like the windowmotor and mirrormotor to the cabin...just need to find the wires of the turnsignals and a good location to hook them up.

I am still open to ideas to keep the shine of the metal....before mounting this mirror I applied a few layers of wax, no idea if that will hold up.....dont want to polish them every week!

fierodog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2006 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodogSend a Private Message to fierodogDirect Link to This Post
what about clear coating them ?
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I did that before (rattlecan automotive clearcoat). The paint sticked fine but the housings still corroded...
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
Can they be clear powdercoated?
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

Can they be clear powdercoated?

Good God what a question........now I have to find out if it's possible!!!!! Audi and Mercedes both have made aluminum skinned cars so something has to work.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 04-07-2006).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
I hate to be the bad egg, dont get me wrong, i absolutely love every square inch of this car. the bumper is by far, THE BEST custom made bumper... ever! the level of detail is amazing, and i say this by looking at pictures, i could only imagine seeing this car in real life.... but the one and only thing i dont like... the tailights, im sorry, i dont like the clean space between them... it needs something there! A grill would look awesome, or a different ass alltogether, but then again, that is just my honest opinion... and one of 6 billion points of view...

Good job dude, you really made a work of art...

PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
I missed something in the blast thru the 13 pages.....
The mirrors are polished aluminum correct?
you get hazing rings and white pits for corrosion,Probably not the best alloy for un protected use.
Clear spray lacquer has the best adhesion to aluminum. tricky to get right without runs tho. The wax won;t last too long.
one thing you MUST do, coat every surface, inside and out. without a continuous seal, it wll corrode, and moisture will wick under the clear and corrode.
spray lacquer is actually quite durable. I make custom aluminum fishing rod butts for heavy use trolling rods, and the best performance has been the clear lacquer. and these things get banged around, dropped kicked, soaked in salt water. takes a few years of that to start breaking thru. Wax on top of the clear will add to the protection. give it a shot!
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Man I really like this thread and want everything in it.....
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2006 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
HC: I see what you mean but it may be too much for the rear.....the light assemblies already have a different shape so I went with a look like a solid rear clip with the taillights pressed in...if that makes sense..

joined a big US-car meeting yesterday (these are al imports here!)
Hundreds of V8's

and one Fiero

Got pretty much attention though

Just to show you dont need a V8 to go fast

that is when its mounted, its just a heavy chunk of aluminium right now

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2006 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001

I hope the shine of the mirrors stays....btw it is a sort of potmetal ,not aluminium if I recall correctly. Dont recall what potmetal actually is..lol...there must be a thread about the mirror material somewhere.
Anyway now theres just one more thingie I will try to finish (dug up from the forgotten&rejected mods pile)
back to page 7 more than a year ago

I kind of finished the plugs but never made molds and products...was going to do them in CF and thats still the plan
Tusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2006 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschDirect Link to This Post
Looks hot, was waiting for some nice overall pics. Beautiful and don't slow down on the updates haha.
Intel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2006 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
Nice work, you really have an eye for details!

Have you done any work on the SMC panels or you replace everything with fiberglass?
I'm looking for a good product to bond and fill SMC body panels but can't find any in our part of the world, getting tired of ordering it from US all the time.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2006 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tusch:
Looks hot, was waiting for some nice overall pics. Beautiful and don't slow down on the updates haha.

I am planning some photoshoot with a good camera and nice environment, still need to arrange that and some nice weather. Will come

Originally posted by Intel:
Nice work, you really have an eye for details!

Have you done any work on the SMC panels or you replace everything with fiberglass?
I'm looking for a good product to bond and fill SMC body panels but can't find any in our part of the world, getting tired of ordering it from US all the time.

My experience is that polyester resin works quite well with SMC. Did the mods on stock front/rear decklids and smoothed the rear taillight panel with a stock fastback rearclip. Try to find a local fiberglass store (boat builders may point you to one). I use the blueish polyester resin and MEK hardener. The repair kits sold at parts stores arent any good. hope this helps

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2006 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Look in jegs or sumit for a polish/ protector for the shiney mirrors.
Did you just sand down the stock ones?....hummm I may do that to my ride. looks real good on the gray paint huh.

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2006 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
yes I sanded down the stockers, you dont wanna know how much time I wasted on that and the tryouts.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2006 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Oh I KNOW
The "stock" paint/primer on these things is a bear to remove!! I did find that bead blasting (not sand) really helps remove it real good.

I had the control arms on mine down to shiney chrome look till I got to the other one and it had some bad pits of surface rust that would not come out. so a nice machine color ( silver/gray ) paint worked just fine!

PFF
System Bot
Intel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2006 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:
My experience is that polyester resin works quite well with SMC. Did the mods on stock front/rear decklids and smoothed the rear taillight panel with a stock fastback rearclip. Try to find a local fiberglass store (boat builders may point you to one). I use the blueish polyester resin and MEK hardener. The repair kits sold at parts stores arent any good. hope this helps

Thanks, I have the blueish polyester and using it for fiberglass only, never tried it on SMC though, well that'll be my easter project.
I want something that is almost as strong as real plastic welding done by professionals.
I did find a local source for 3M Duramix SMC Panel Bonding Adhesive (#04050 Rigid Fast Set, black) the bad ting was the price. $100 for a 200ml dual 2 component tube + $180 for the needed 3M gun + $40 for a 12 pack of mixing tubes but it's VERY tough and bonds to almost all automotve plastics.

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
wheres the update?
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2006 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
hmm there isnt any...except for some pics
here is the really latest update lol
yesterday

sunday

I am busy with the interior buildup now
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2006 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
That is one beautiful interior you're putting together. "Awesome" just doesn't do it justice.

Bob
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

I kind of finished the plugs but never made molds and products...was going to do them in CF and thats still the plan

Yeah right!

just popped it from the mold, needs cleanup/trimming/prep and clearcoat....when it fits nice I will do the other side.
PCTECH

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2006 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PCTECHSend a Private Message to PCTECHDirect Link to This Post

Is that a rebel flag in the picture? I can't believe there are rednecks in Europe. You Must be in the South..

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PCTECH:
Is that a rebel flag in the picture? I can't believe there are rednecks in Europe. You Must be in the South..

lol there must be a dutch version of rednecks here...but they wouldnt recognize a rebel flag
Theres a lot of bad american taste around these meetings...lol but many nice rides too..
Voided

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoidedSend a Private Message to VoidedDirect Link to This Post
Wow.

just, Wow.

I could see the car with a whale-tail, only the lip around the top skimmed and sanded down some, and a really suave, molded notch out of the bottom, so to curb the rear-end curl effect of the wind much like the stock spoiler, with the right kind of lip to produce a touch of downforce, and the looks it could bring, I think it'd be completetion.

But it's equally as awesome with the smooth backend, and really, more unique looking without one.

Said by me, big (huge) fan of spoiler-less fieros.
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
That's a perfect spot for a blazing "Fiero" or "Pontiac" or something badge.

HC: I see what you mean but it may be too much for the rear.....the light assemblies already have a different shape so I went with a look like a solid rear clip with the taillights pressed in...if that makes sense..

Looking awesome, at any rate!

[This message has been edited by timwdegner (edited 05-21-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock