Started on: 08-29-2008 10:43 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: jeffndebrus on 09-03-2008 02:05 PM
wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
ok in my sig i have the specs on what ive done to the engine. i want to go the route of probably doing a small diesel turbo like pbj did. something low boost 5-7 psi. anyone have any pointers?

------------------

DONE: 86gt 5 speed 4.9 complete rebuild with buds outback northstar pistons , delta cams E303 cam , full ported , polished , stronger head springs, and flow tested heads and manifolds. rockcrawl's custom chip , polished crank . too much to list

86 gt 350 4 speed
85 t-top BEING PARTED
86gt 4.9 highly modified
86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
I have the turbo bug too. =)

------------------
-Kyle
Email: kakagiraffe@gmail.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4.9 V8, 5spd Isuzu, Spec Stage 4
True Dual Exhaust, Delta Cam
1996 Grand Am 3100
2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i

sYkboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2008 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sYkboySend a Private Message to sYkboyDirect Link to This Post
Well, what are you looking for, exactly? Just a little boost, say 35-50% more hp? 5-7 psi is nothing. What is your compression ratio? How healthy is that cam? What is the 4.9's redline? I think it is low, right? Need more info to really help or at least get you pointed in the right direction.

I am no pro but I will try to help you get to the next step.

[This message has been edited by sYkboy (edited 08-30-2008).]

wiccantoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2008 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
ok this is the fun part the compression is 10.5 to 1 cam is the e303 mustang cam engine has a 100 complete rebuild done on it with ported and polished heads and intake. not really looking to go to too much boost and blow anything alot has to do with the high compression. also has the buds outback northstar pistons. pretty much everything in my sig. redline is the same as the stock v6 was

[This message has been edited by wiccantoy (edited 08-30-2008).]

ChadTanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChadTannerClick Here to visit ChadTanner's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChadTannerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wiccantoy:

ok this is the fun part the compression is 10.5 to 1 cam is the e303 mustang cam engine has a 100 complete rebuild done on it with ported and polished heads and intake. not really looking to go to too much boost and blow anything alot has to do with the high compression. also has the buds outback northstar pistons. pretty much everything in my sig. redline is the same as the stock v6 was

As you already know,you will get a variety of opinions,so I again figuer,I might as well add my two cents.I would never tell anyone what to do with their car,because I never liked someone telling me what they thought I should do.In my experience the builder always makes the right decision for themselves.If I post something as a fact,it is only things that are common knowlege,and can be easily referanced to reliable sources.All other info,I will make very clear,that it is only my opinion.I make this post to stimulate your mind,but read carefully,It may seem contradicting at first,but read carefully,and It makes sense.

Someone is going to look at your 10.5:1 compression ratio,then say,"you will blow your engine" maybe blow the heads off,break the head bolts,or at least blow the head gaskets.Why?,because the cylinder pressure is so darn high,you raised the compression ratio from 9.5:1 to 10.5:1,and obviously raised the pressure inside the cylinders.

Well,you may already know that is not true.Even though you raised the static compression from 9.5:1 to 10.5:1,by increasing the the cylinder volume with the .040 overbore and decressed the combustion area at TDC with the flat top piston(I don't which N* piston you have,but none have a real dish like the 4.9).You then changed the duration on the cam,I think your cam is around 220 degrees at .050 lift,thats about 20 degrees more than the stock profile.This then lowered the Dynamic compression,which is the actual cylinder pressure.In my experiance,for most engines,20 degrees added duration is more than enough to offset an increase of 1 compression point.

You probably know why,but just to refresh everyones memory.As the piston is beginning to upward from BDC, the intake valve is beginning to close. The intake valve is not completely shut until the piston is near TDC. There is a connection between the combustion chamber and the intake runner, as the intake valve is still partially open. As the piston is squeezing and approaching TDC, some cylinder pressure bleeds into the intake port,which reduces overall cylinder pressure.So the longer you hold the valve open,the more cylinder pressure you lose.knowing this also makes it easier to understand why cam grinds for turbos have very low duration.

Like I said before,on most all other engines,20 degrees added duration is more than enough to offset an increase of 1 compression point.Thats fairly basic knowlege,and if it applied to the 4.9,this would mean Your engine,as it is now,has less Dynamic compression than a stock 4.9 with 9.5:1 compression.

Is the above statement accurate? In my opinion "no" It is in my opinion that the 4.9s volumetric efficiency is very low,lower than anyone would expect.like I said before in another thread,the rpm range does not change much with this cam and all the port work anyone has so far been able to do.Everyone knows this because there are a couple dyno reports of this engine with the e303 cam,and they are fairly consistant.

What does this have to do with Dynamic compression?Why would I bring up the discussion about the rpm range?well,using a 350 chevy as an example,this cam with even the worst heads avaliable for the 350,you would see a considerable loss of low end tourqe.This is because there was a considerable amount of cylinder pressure lost,as it bleed into the intake."220 degrees@.050 ramp is not a small cam,however looking at the E303 equiped 4.9 dyno,I don't see the dramatic loss of low end tourqe.I suspect there was also no dramatic loss of cylinder pressure.

Why do I think the loss of Dynamic compression is not consistant with other engines?Not only do I think the volumetric efficiency is much lower than expected,causing poor flow at higher rpms,I also suspect the cylinder pressure does not bleed back into the intake as well as it does in other engines.

Do I think the size and design of the intake and exhaust runners is the only thing causing this effect?No I suspect there is some type of weird pulse going on inside the engine,I can't fully describe it,and do not have a full understanding of what is going on.I suspect the square bore may have something to do with it,but I do not have the knowlege to diagnosis what is happening.I have witnessed the dyno of several 4.9 cars with wide band and have asked for advice from several experienced dyno operators.I am more than convinced there is something funky going on inside the 4.9,maybe pulses canceling out eachother or God only knows what.I think this is an issue that someone definitely needs to be looked into.

I want to tell a story that may stimulate your thinking about turbo selection.It's about a 301 turbo TA,which may be very related to this subject,because it is also a 4.9 with small valves and heads that are proven to flow like dog doo doo.

Back in 1999,while atteneding UTI in Houston,TX .as some of you my know,the school is broke down into phases,with different instructors.I had a instructor,that on the first day of the phase,gave kind of like a "mini orientation"It was a 100 percent true story that ended as a moral story"

Back in the early 80s,The guy had been some kind of tech/writer/editor for a main stream magizine,even though he had the magizines their for us to read,and I did read it,I forget which one it was,but I'm pretty sure it was one of the pontiac mags.He had done one of those Tech/buid-up articles that are broke down into several parts and come out in different issues.This is done,obvoisly to get you to buy more mags and keep reading.The thing is,sometimes,or at least in this case,the project is not completed,before the first issue hits the news stand. (LOL) You aready know where this is headed!!

The article was the build-up of a turbo TA,which was near brand new at the time.The heads for the big boy pontiac engines,that did flow well,are the same as the 301,but will not work with the 301,because it has a shorter deck height.The 301 turbo head had a large combustion chamber,so they fitted it with huge pontiac valves,I think they were 2.11 -1.60,of coarse they did not what to raise the cam duration,so they added a very high lift cam and other pontiac valve train parts,along with massive port work to the intake and exhaust.They then had a pretty decent flowing set of heads.They did exactly what they wanted to do.They wanted to improve the volumetric efficiency.Which was sure to show a remarkably lower ET at the drag strip.

The project was completed after one issue of the article was already sold,The end result was the turbo would now,not even make enough boost to show on the gauge,only showing 0 boost"no vacuum" when it should have been at full boost.Normally,getting a different size turbo would not be a big deal,but at that time,there was no other draw through turbo to work with the engine.This was a early end to his career

The moral of the story was for us to learn,while we were there,and not leave as sheep in wolves clothing,then ruin our life,as he then made less money,than he did when he was a younger man in 1982.

Thanks...
Chad

arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
Do you have an allante intake?
I've heard the standard 4.9 intake manifold is restrictive (yours is ported) but still does not have individual runners like the allante intake. Thats where I believe it would safely benefit from forced induction.

With your high compression though, I don't think you could run much boost but 5-7 seems like it should be fine.

I'm thinking about going with a rising rate regulator and figuring out some sort of spark advance. Not sure if I just rotated the dist. if I could get the car to idle and run good through the rpms.

If I do start this same project, I'm going with twin turbo for a couple of reasons.
- My exhaust does not have crossover pipe (one out each manifold w/ muffler at ends)
- Be able to get smaller, quicker spooling turbo's
- More fun =)

------------------
-Kyle
Email: kakagiraffe@gmail.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4.9 V8, 5spd Isuzu, Spec Stage 4
True Dual Exhaust, Delta Cam
1996 Grand Am 3100
2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i

wiccantoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
no i dont have an allante intake. there are a few people that have done it and have seen no proof of a big advantage in useing that set-up
sYkboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sYkboySend a Private Message to sYkboyDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess I will throw out the first suggestion and say T61 or so. Maybe a .68 exhaust housing? This is not a big turbo for a 4.9. I am actually going to run one on my 3800. I have seen them on Mustangs built for the street. They spool well for them. Maybe a start in the right direction. FieroX sells Masterpower now.
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Remember PBJ in Canada did this and was extremely successful with a few hundred dragstrip runs.

Some Quotes from PBJ
I have search for days along with other turbo experts and have not been able to come up with any sort of compressor map.

You will need a boost timing module to decrease timing as boost increases, You will need an aftermarket spark knock sensor module unless the PROM is seriously detuned but that will effect your output. Both are available aftermarket add ons. I have heard. Then you can safely run the caddy ecm with a new custom PROM for the caddy ecm, Rockcrawl has our PROM info.

Waste gate control has always for me been high maint, the Boost wants to go higher than I want. This is not so much of a problem this year after last winters modifications.

Rockcrawl sent ours out and is similar to a ford cut that the shaker also had but with less overlap since is a turbo.

The head work helped out huge IMO. It is the only modification I did that would have dropped the compression ratio so that it could handle more boost.

The roller rocker conversion I did I am not yet recommending, I used the 3800 pedistals and modified the stock caddy 1:6 rocker. I would recommend you use 3800 1:5 rocker that came with the pedistals, the lose you loose in lift is not very important on a forced induction engine.

We are thinking about selling our turbo 4.9 set up complete, do you want to make an offer? The reason is the car is as fast as we can make it with out a roll cage, so time to start something new, And you all know I need some project of my own in the winter.

Pete

The caddy 4.9 turbo is a dependable daily driver. It has done over 30 1/4 mile runs, and is running in the 13 sec with 1.8 sec 60 ft. Beck drives it like she leases it all the time with no problems. Rockcrawl's PROM as far as I am concerned is looking after engine management flawlessly.

Pete

We are using the 730 ecm, and plan on switching over the the 749 ecm. Both do not have electronic shift capabilites as far as I know. There has been some talk of the M90 supercharger on a 4.9 but I have not seen one yet.

Pete

We ran out of time that Jon had up here in Canada, we had to drop the 749 and test it on the 730. We found the 730 was still able to keep out of a lean problem and since the 730 uses a knock sensor we could "work with it"
What we did loose was ECM controled boost pressure/waste gate.
The 749 was found to be unstable, it would "hunt" or surge contantly, idle through redline. It can be mastered, just not in a weekend. And a weekend was what we had to spend on it. The 730 at this point has no uncorrectable concerns with the turbo.

Pete

All that info and pics of course are from PBJ

[This message has been edited by jeffndebrus (edited 09-03-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock