Thread Size by MTFIERO
Started on: 08-18-2008 09:27 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: MTFIERO on 08-22-2008 07:22 AM
MTFIERO

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MTFIEROSend a Private Message to MTFIERODirect Link to This Post
I was swapping my TBS to try to correct the problem of the motor breaking up around 2000 RPM's and the top screw broke when I tried to remove it. Does any one know what size thread it is? I'm thinking it's a metric size and wonder if it can be drilled and tapped to a standard 10-32 thread? Also where can I get one of these screws? I returned the sensor because it did not correct the problem.

One other thing I noticed is when going down the interstate and you put the gas to the floor the tach climbs to 3700 and drops back to 3500 then starts climbing again. (Sensor??) Does anyone have any idea if the two problems are related or is this something else??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
StuGood

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
First, please tell me what TBS stand for - I don't recognize it.
Second, the first suspect is the tach filter.
MTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MTFIEROSend a Private Message to MTFIERODirect Link to This Post
Throttle Body Sensor. It is the sensor connected at the intake across from where the gas pedal hooks up.
Sorry for the confusion.
StuGood

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
If what you're referring to is the TPS (throttle position sensor) on a V6, the thread size is M5 x 0.8.

A 10-32 screw is slightly bigger, so depending on how messed up the original threads are, it might work. All depends on how messed up they are, I would have to guess. You could use epoxy to repair badly stripped threads.

For next time, you can hook a volt meter to the center terminal of the TPS (set the meter to a range that reads 5v fairly well), and test its output. It should vary smoothly from idle to wide-open-throttle with no discontinuities in between.
MTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MTFIEROSend a Private Message to MTFIERODirect Link to This Post
Stu - Yes, it is the sensor on a V-6. The threads are still good. What I did after the screw broke was to made a center mark on the screw and drilled it out using a left handed drill hoping when enough of the screw was removed it would bite and reverse the screw out. The thread is still good but there is a small amount of screw remaining that won't allow a new screw to thread in . Basicly all I need to do is clean out the threads. Anyone know where I could get a replacement screw to attach the sensor?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock