light stutter by Raz50
Started on: 08-09-2008 09:48 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Fieroseverywhere on 08-12-2008 07:10 PM
Raz50

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Raz50Send a Private Message to Raz50Direct Link to This Post
tried to use the search function on this topic but this forum is just huuuuge.

I have a small problem i wanted to finaly tackle.

Ever since i got my 2.5 fiero (85) with auto trans, it has a little problem. When i go over 75 to 80 mph the trans starts shifting back and forth causing a stutter. Also the tach starts jumping around when it happens. All plugs down to the electrical parts of the engine seem to be ok. The auto has a proper oil level and no leaks visible. I'm not sure if the engine is causing the auto to shift back or if it's the auto itself doing this. I've done a lot of adjusting to the auto with the help of a mechanic. Nothing seems to make a difference.

When i stay under this speed the engine and auto transmission are running like champs. No oddities and a smooth shifting.

So i'm walking around with a large question mark bubbling above my head. I'd like to get rid of that.

Anyone know where to look at next? Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2008 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like the tranny is not actually shifting but the Torque converter is locking and unlocking. Remember the auto tranny in the fiero is only a 3 speed. 2nd gear at 75 would blow the low revving duke into a million pieces. Prob need a new trq converter but im not tranny expert.
Raz50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2008 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Raz50Send a Private Message to Raz50Direct Link to This Post
thanks linux, that makes sense indeed. Maybe i can do some research on the torque converter.
Raz50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2008 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Raz50Send a Private Message to Raz50Direct Link to This Post
It's kind of narrowed down to the TC as Linux said.

It seems at a certain speed (or at about 3k rpm) my TCC keeps locking and unlocking causing a light stutter and a jumpy tach. Is there any way i can perform service to the TC or try things to test it?
When i press the brake pedal just slightly it unlocks, so that's working.
Anything else i can try?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Kickdown cable? If Fieros have them same as older cars it may be trying to kickdown to pass when your pedal gets down far enough to go 80mph.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar problem with my 84. After changing the lock up silonoid (very easy job and only 12 dollars ) with no luck the alternator went out. New alternator fixed the problem for me. Something to keep in mind at least. Best I can figure the alternator was not supplying sufficiant voltage for the lockup silonoid to work properly.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 08-12-2008).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Fieroseverywhere

4242 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by 2.5:

Kickdown cable? If Fieros have them same as older cars it may be trying to kickdown to pass when your pedal gets down far enough to go 80mph.

For the 84 and 85 dukes it is extremely easy to adjust the kickdown cable. Literally push a button and move the cable housing. I'll post some pics as soon as my camera charges up a bit. This is a distinct possibility if it is not adjusted properly. Later.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Fieroseverywhere

4242 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by Raz50:

It's kind of narrowed down to the TC as Linux said.

It seems at a certain speed (or at about 3k rpm) my TCC keeps locking and unlocking causing a light stutter and a jumpy tach. Is there any way i can perform service to the TC or try things to test it?
When i press the brake pedal just slightly it unlocks, so that's working.
Anything else i can try?

Unplug your TCC. Wont hurt anything but gas mileage and should give you a better idea of where the problem is. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again. Later

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock