Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Clutch slips for about 2 seconds and then grabs.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Clutch slips for about 2 seconds and then grabs. by buddycraigg
Started on: 06-27-2008 09:00 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Nurb432 on 06-28-2008 09:20 PM
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 475
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
Clutch slips for about 2 seconds and then grabs.

86 V6 4spd.

When you let off of the clutch pedal, it takes about 2~3 seconds before it starts to grab.

My first though was the clutch fork shaft was seizing in the bushings.
Or the release bearing was not sliding on the input tube easily
Thus slowly releasing the pressure plate.

But I can pull the outer release arm away from the engine.
Pushing the pushrod deeper into the slave easily.
So the release shaft, bearing and hydraulics seem ok.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i just got back from test driving it.
it's just in the really early stages of the clutch dieing.

how the hell do you kill a clutch in 52,000 miles???
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareClick Here to Email MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

i just got back from test driving it.
it's just in the really early stages of the clutch dieing.

how the hell do you kill a clutch in 52,000 miles???

If its the original then I would think just the age of it.
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanClick Here to Email uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
First check for oil leaking from bottom of bell housing,ittakes a while for the oil to get to the clutch,normally you will see some dripping from the bell housing
If you drive with vigor of course the clutch assembly will not last as long fast rapid starts lower the clutch life to 30,000 miles. the clutch pressure plates wears fast as does the fiber components of the clutch if the throw out bearing is noisy it could be sticking or cocked,, if you take off ina normal citizen take off and the clutch does not slip it is probably wear in the TOB clutch pressure plate unit if it slips at slow speed it may have fluid on the plates
On older cars the fork wears and does not work properly this is normally not enough push butit can stick
Unfortunately a slipping clutch normally means you have a transmission pull in your future ... so a double check for binding is in order
ALLWAY check for loose bolts at bell house and transmisson and motor mounts ,or bad motor mount,or trans mount
Never replace just one component because of the fun of a trans pull ALLWAYS replace all 3 members of this holy TriniTy if a GM delco TO looks exactly like the new T O that came with the trio use the G M part
Myke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MykeSend a Private Message to MykeDirect Link to This Post
Craigg,

If you are correct and this is the early signs of death, then you know the common reasons for this. 52k on a clutch is a fairly short life. Short of abuse and defect, the only other question I would have is this:

When you are driving, do you ever rest your foot on the clutch while cruising? In other words, when your shifting, do you complete let the clutch in between shifts with you foot off the clutch? When in gear is your foot off to the side?

Many people I know will let the clutch in, then leave their foot on the clutch. They don't take their foot off the clutch at all when they are driving. This wears the clutch out, and quick (like 52K).

Just throwing it out because I didn't see it up there yet.

Myke
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post06-28-2008 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanClick Here to Email uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Just read 52,000 this is normal, life for clutch ,, the original new car clutch will go 60,000 to 120,000 ..
52,000 miles is good for a replacement clutch
If you want top milage you must resurface flywheel ,do not lighten this way!! tho you could have it scalloped,, tell machine shop to take the bare minimum to resurface use G M parts or center force for long milage ,,Replace the trio
If you are a spirited driver as I am in some circumstances your clutch life will seldom exceed 75.000 mile and 50,000 is more like it ..
The shafts the forks the the flywheel mount the flexplate the crank shafts,axles,bearings are not so tight as they were at the new car smell time
anything do to with the fiero troublesome manual transmission system is a chance to increase your mechanical skills
My present Fiero is on its 3rd clutch at 125,000 miles , I regret because of health reasons I will have to go to Auto transmission,but the Fiero auto T125 is one of the fieros most reliable features, the manual transmission system one of the worst features
To check a fly wheel you need to place a straight edge on the flywheel you should not be able to slip a .003 feeler gauge under the straight edge
.......................this post is generated by my 45 years experience as a motorhead and reading mad magazine

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 06-28-2008).]

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedClick Here to Email FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Sounds to me like oil comtamination. But thats just a guess.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:
Sounds to me like oil comtamination. But thats just a guess.

man i hope not.
i'm thinking it's just glazed from poor driving habits

but i've never seen a clutch act like a stall converter before.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 06-28-2008).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 545
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageClick Here to Email ArchieSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Check & see if the bolt/nut holding the clutch arm onto the pivot shaft isn't catching onto the trans case as you release the pedal.

That could cause a 2 second delay engaging the clutch & I see it on a lot of Fieros coming in for swaps.

Archie
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
Check & see if the bolt/nut holding the clutch arm onto the pivot shaft isn't catching onto the trans case as you release the pedal.

good thought. cross your fingers.
i check that as soon as i finish replacing some tranny coolant lines on the current car
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
For what its worth, my clutch started acting funny and it turned out the bolts holding the transmission and engine together on one side ( trunk side ) had backed out some.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock