3.1 crank in 2.8 by Byron
Started on: 06-27-2008 03:06 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: BillS on 06-27-2008 10:48 AM
Byron

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ByronSend a Private Message to ByronDirect Link to This Post
can i just bore my 2.8 out 40 thousands and put some 40 thousands pistons and rings and then buy a crank from a 92 Chevy Cavalier z24
and drop that all in and then just buy 2.8 rebuild kit
would that all work and give me some more power
and be simple enough like would that crank be a perfect fit? i herd it would
thanks
a list of other possible cranks would be nice too
i have a 87 gt 2.8 v6 with a 5spd

[This message has been edited by Byron (edited 06-27-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Quick answer is "sometimes" I have been led to believe that there are 2 different size crank journals in the Fiero 2.8 engine. One will fit and the other won't. Also you will have to get new pistons as the wrist pin holes are in a different place. If you have a pre 88 2.8 you will have to get a neutrally balanced flywheel/flexplate. I had an 85 2.8 changed over to a 3.1
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The difference between a 3.1L and a 2.8L is the crank and pistons. You can buy a "stroker kit" that comes with a new crank, new bearings, new rings and new pistons.
I am not sure which crankshafts from other engines will swap in because as Phil stated, There were two different journal sizes used.

If you want to go with used parts to keep costs down, Just look for a 1990-1991 GM Minivan (Lumina APV, Trans Sport, Stilletto) with the cast iron headed 3.1L and swap over the Fiero intake and ignition system. (You will need an 88 Fiero flywheel/flexplate for it too)

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 06-27-2008).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2008 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The 60° V6 engine family got a larger crank main journal size in 1985, so all of them made after that are the same large size, including the 3.1 and 3.4 and all 2.8s used in the Fiero.

On the crank you need the 981 casting, it was used in the Camaro and others, it's the heaviest duty version. You will need to get pistons for the iron-head 3.1, if you use aluminum head pistons your compression ratio will be unusable.

The rods are all the same for all the 2.8 and 3.1 motors and fully interchange.

JazzMan
BillS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSDirect Link to This Post
Yup, just about any crank after 1985 will fit right through the 3.4 (which has the same crank, marked '3.1'

The conversion will give you noticeably better midrange torque and you'll find yourself no longer shifting down when you used to, as the higher gear will pull much better.

I run a 3.2 (3.1 conversion .040" over) in the turbo engine.

BTW, I have seen the so called kits costing more than just a set of new pistons and a good used crank that tests out OK.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock