alternator question? by hiperman70
Started on: 06-26-2008 11:16 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: hiperman70 on 06-27-2008 12:28 AM
hiperman70

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiperman70Send a Private Message to hiperman70Direct Link to This Post
hello,
2.8 engine ,my question is,does power running to the alternator at all times,even with the key out of the ignition?
the main led (red)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Yes believe the heavy red lead connects right to the battery.
hiperman70

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiperman70Send a Private Message to hiperman70Direct Link to This Post
because something is draining my battery,the alternator is new , had it check out at auto store today(good),the battery is new and charged,checked wiring looks good. what else can it be?
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
About a hundred things.

Check this thread, not to sound cocky, but especially my post.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/092942.html
2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
Headlight motors. That was my most recent electrical problem. Watch the manual knob move back and forth while they are off, and that's the clue. High current draw, won't take long to run the battery down, and then reverse a cell, making the battery junk.

You can also put an ammeter inline betwen the negative lead and the battery, and see how much current draw you have. Make sure your meter can handle at least 30 amps, or you may smoke test it (you may anyway if there is a short). Pull fuses until it stops drawing current. You'll always have a tiny draw for keep alive memory in the computer and the radio/clock. Don't forget aftermarket stereo equipment usually has a full-time hot connection, with a switching lead that isn't functioning correctly.

I also had the sticking oil pressure sending unit/fuel pump problem long ago.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I agree...the headlight motors.If you can (on your day off) disconnect the single power wire to the right and left headlight and see if the battery holds a charge.Dont leave your battery flat too long, or you could kill it.Try the mall section and upgrade to 87-88 headlight motors.You will need everything from the 87-88 headlight system includeing the wireing harness and modual,that detaches at the front firewall.Other causes are:
1.Trunk light on.
2.Out of alignment brake pedal switch causeing your brake lights to stay on 24-7.
3.A bad door pin switch, causeing your courtesy lights to stay on 24-7.
4.A stuck fan relay,causeing your fan to continualley run (but youde probubley notice that).
5.Electrical...an example would be if you had an alarm,but say lost the remotes,so you removed the horn and the alarm was triggered and active 24-7,even though you can't hear it.An improperly installed AMP would probubley do the same thing.
6.Acid on the contact sides of the battery cables,preventing the battery from chargeing.

(your charge gage on your center dash should read about half way with slight fluctuations).

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 06-27-2008).]

hiperman70

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiperman70Send a Private Message to hiperman70Direct Link to This Post
thanks to all i will try this and see what i come up with

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock