wet sanding by gjohnson
Started on: 06-23-2008 08:04 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: gjohnson on 06-24-2008 10:49 AM
gjohnson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gjohnsonSend a Private Message to gjohnsonDirect Link to This Post
After wet sanding and rinsing off the panel, what is recommended to remove the film left behind. Is this where tack cloth and mineral spirits come in?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DailyDriverGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DailyDriverGTClick Here to visit DailyDriverGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to DailyDriverGTDirect Link to This Post
I dont know if id call it recomended... lol but at work we use a degreaser mixed with water and soak the panel, then hose it off and shami her down... thats how we do it good luck there are many ways im sure, we use RED THUNDER
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
No tack cloth. No mineral spirits.

Wash with soap and water and NEW sponge. I use Dawn dishwashing soap. I never wet sand before paint, though, as there are problems that can come up when you paint. I thought we addressed that in another thread.

Good luck

Mark

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited 06-23-2008).]

gjohnson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gjohnsonSend a Private Message to gjohnsonDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't satisfied with the finnish after We used the 180 grit on the smc filler and other pannel repairs, so I used 400 grit wet/dry on the areas to remove the little swirls and imperfections.
This is our first attempt at any body work so please bear with us.
So the consensious is dish soap and clean sponges vs. mineral spirits and tack cloths...

Thanks,
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You can dry sand with 400 too. even up to 800. I wash with Dawn soap first, dry and then dry sand and just towel with paper towels and blower after. I use paper towels because every one you pull off is virgin with no other contaminents to add. When dry sanding too, I always let my hands stay dusty with the residue until im done. That way nothing like sweat or body oil is transfered to the surface. Some sand with latex gloves.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-24-2008).]

gjohnson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gjohnsonSend a Private Message to gjohnsonDirect Link to This Post
That is very interesting tip Roger... Thanks.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock