Ignition coil? by AndrewZ
Started on: 06-23-2008 06:40 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: AndrewZ on 06-24-2008 10:06 AM
AndrewZ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewZSend a Private Message to AndrewZDirect Link to This Post
I had my car starting and running real nice not long ago. Then the exhaust manifold started glowing orange. found on this forum that the most likely problem was vac. replaced the egr value as it was the most likely culprit on this car. The valve that I took out had no orifice washer in it, but following the directions of the new one, I put a washer in. At the same time I replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributer and rotor. I think I mixed up some wires. Tried to start the car. I heard a big bang, not sure if the car was still cranking or running, but I turned it off right away. I started it again, and it started right up. The engine was shaking a bit and there was a smell of unburnt gas. turned it off and redid the wiring right. Now it cranks with some puffs, but does not start. I did a search and it seems as if the problem is the ignition coil. There is enough fuel in the tank. This car had the same symptoms last year (taking a long time to put it on the road) but I wrote that off to not enough fuel in the tank. Perhaps I don't have enough fuel pressure? But it stared up real quick when the wiring was bad. If it is the ignition coil, where is the coil located? Underneath the rotor?

------------------
Andrew

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NashvilleFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AndrewZ:

I had my car starting and running real nice not long ago. Then the exhaust manifold started glowing orange. found on this forum that the most likely problem was vac. replaced the egr value as it was the most likely culprit on this car. The valve that I took out had no orifice washer in it, but following the directions of the new one, I put a washer in. At the same time I replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributer and rotor. I think I mixed up some wires. Tried to start the car. I heard a big bang, not sure if the car was still cranking or running, but I turned it off right away. I started it again, and it started right up. The engine was shaking a bit and there was a smell of unburnt gas. turned it off and redid the wiring right. Now it cranks with some puffs, but does not start. I did a search and it seems as if the problem is the ignition coil. There is enough fuel in the tank. This car had the same symptoms last year (taking a long time to put it on the road) but I wrote that off to not enough fuel in the tank. Perhaps I don't have enough fuel pressure? But it stared up real quick when the wiring was bad. If it is the ignition coil, where is the coil located? Underneath the rotor?

Do you have a Duke?

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Doesnt sound like a coil, ignition module, or pickup coil problem.

Seeing as it ran great before, and now wont start, I would say its in something you've done. Either you've got a vac leak or you wired the plug wires wrong.

Glowing exhaust isnt the EGR valve, its the tube from the valve to the bottom of the intake. If it was cracked, you probably would have opened up the crack even more changing the valve.

Usually the car would start fine with a vac leak though, just idle high. I would check the plug wires again, make sure you have them routed right, and the timing right.
AndrewZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewZSend a Private Message to AndrewZDirect Link to This Post
2.8 Formula 88
The egr was busted, and I couldn't find anything wrong with the tube; I used a mirror to check the back side while leaving it in place. I called my Uncle (a machanic) and he said that it sounds like I have the sparks fireing at hte wrong time. Said I should remove #1 spark plug, put the engine to top dead center and then ajust the rotor to #1 spark plug position.
AndrewZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewZSend a Private Message to AndrewZDirect Link to This Post

AndrewZ

175 posts
Member since Jul 2004
I ajusted the wires only on the dis cap according to Hyans (or however it is spelled) and it fire right up. previously I used a diagram from an archived thread, which caused my problems.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock