will a 98 3.1 bolt up in 87 gt auto? by SinisterSTi
Started on: 06-23-2008 12:07 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: LZeppelin513 on 06-23-2008 02:22 PM
SinisterSTi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SinisterSTiSend a Private Message to SinisterSTiDirect Link to This Post
I want to do the 3.8 sc but just flat broke and the 2.8 is dead (chocolate milkshake in the oil pan) and I need it back on the road. I know the 3.4 camaro up to 95 will work but I have a free 3.1 98 grand prix engine and can swap easy just till I can save up... Thanks for any info...

------------------
520WHP 05STi, 06 Trailblazer SS, 87 Fiero

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post
The 3.1 is an aluminum head engine and thus the Fiero stuff (intake, etc) you have will not work. That's why the 3.4 is doable- it is cast iron heads just like the original Fiero 2.8. Doing an aluminum head 3.1-3.4 is almost like doing a regular swap as opposed to being an easy drop in replacement.
SinisterSTi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SinisterSTiSend a Private Message to SinisterSTiDirect Link to This Post
Bummer, thanks for the info though.. I guess its just fate thate I need to do a gtp swap..
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
it will bolt in. but - it takes a little more than that to make it work. you will need to relocate the dogbone motor mount. and, do some wiring harness hacking. a little bit of plumbing for the coolant, and make a custom y-pipe/exhaust. but - it will be a decent running car. 140 HP, I think it is? it'll outrun a equally geared 2.8 based Fiero all day long. the 98 is SFI, isnt it? you'll get some fine milage too. especially if you can get the tranny from the grand prix too.

its doable - but - many would not considere the gains worth the work - but - for free, and if you got the time & skill - its a great option.
LZeppelin513

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Direct Link to This Post
Its easy if you can do the wiring yourself. The wiring is the only time consuming part. But the engine will bolt right up to the tranny. I just did a 3400 swap (same engine basically) and its great. I had no mech experience before. it will get better economy than your old 2.8 as well as have a very noticable power bump. my 3400 on getrag will beat my budies 04 wrx non sti to 60ish by a good amount. he starts playing catch up after that. the only other challenging part besides wiring is fabing up a dogbone mount. the 3100 will even bolt to the original 2.8 motor mount. you can get all the wiring diagrams from http://www.gmtuners.com/ its Ryan Hess's website who is a member here.

edit: oh and you would have to do some exhaust work. I bet it would be possible to incorperate most of the 2.8's plumbing if you needed too though. I just ran a short cat out the single collector on the manifold that points towards the back of the car to a T and out both sides. it was 180 bucks to have a shop do it for me (I supplied the cat)

I was getting over 35 mpg with my 3400 on the getrag, I bet if your engine is in good shape you could get better than that(.3 liters less displacement)

plus the engine is lighter than the 2.8 cause the aluminum heads and smaller starter

I say go for it, ur engine is free and the 2.8 is dead, it will be an upgrade in reliability, fuel economy, weight, power, and keep that nice 60 degree v6 growl

[This message has been edited by LZeppelin513 (edited 06-23-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock