sbc loading up and stumbling by rcp builders
Started on: 06-21-2008 10:34 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: rcp builders on 08-24-2008 09:12 PM
rcp builders

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
car has new 600 edelbrock carb on for 2 months now and after about 15 minutes it starts loading up and stumbles
hard at low rpm. i have accel plugs and new accel h.e.i wires have maybe 3500 miles on them. car ran PERFECT,
would start with have a crank on the key etc. etc. and now well i have no ideas. blows black smoke at around 3300rpm
and when i down shift also backfire every now and again. any help would be appreciated thnx Ray
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
what have you checked so far?
i put AFB carbs on everything i own, they are very dependable.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
Have pulled carb apart checked, float, etc. and all is well. Plugs look tan on tip but little black by threads.
Wires seem fine, i dont posess alot of electronic testing equipment but have some.
Vacuum gauges shows smooth vacuum at 15, carb is tuned with vacuum and timing is on.
Just does'nt make sense it was running great and all the sudden loading up like that.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked the fuel pressure... might be too high and overcoming the float and dumping way too much fuel.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
my cheap in line gauge from autozone reads 6lbs and when i adlust my pressure reg. it responds.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
How sure are you of your timing?
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
timing is dead on. i dont get it it must be in the dist.????? frustrating
GKDINC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
What are you useing for a gas line filter, just the fiero one or did you add a inline to it?
Good Luck
Gary
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
i,m using the fiero inline, could it be my ign. module getting to hot? it only does it after 5- 10 mins.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
How close is the fuel line and filter to the exhaust pipe?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
500 cfm would be fine. Go to Jegs or Summit and get a carb spacer. It mounts between the carb base and intake. Sounds to me like it getting purculating fuel like mine did from fuel bowl getting too much ambient heat. Its a quick cheap fix. If it doesnt stop it, Id say it could be the carb or plugs. I tried Accel plugs once and they were no good, started fouling out in just a few hundred miles.
PFF
System Bot
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2008 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: replaced the intake gaskets and problem solved. just wanted to post
an update incase any1 else might run into the same problem. Ray

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock