Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  We've talked oil, but what about filters?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

We've talked oil, but what about filters? by NashvilleFiero
Started on: 06-19-2008 10:44 AM
Replies: 33
Last post by: josef644 on 06-21-2008 09:23 PM
NashvilleFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
Would like to discuss oil filters. Do we have any data of info on who makes the best filter?

I am sure Fram makes a few unbranded names too.

Your thoughts?

------------------
If you ever have a questions about the sincerity of the circle of Fiero owners on this site, take a look at:
"In Memoriam: Fiero Members"

Pretty impressive.....

Avatar is of an actual Fiero on fire

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Younggun88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Younggun88Send a Private Message to Younggun88Direct Link to This Post
I have used K&N, Mobil One and, Amsoil. I like the mobil One decent price at 9.99 but will last for 15,000 miles. there is a test online somewhere where they test differnt filters. also i get the 201 instead of the 101 since it is larger. BTW this in on my 3800SC fiero.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I use the K&N , I believe its the same design as the Mobil1 from what I've seen online.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
The online report that was posted here a few years ago was great, and made it very clear - keep you GM car all GM - use an AC Delco filter - there is nothing better - just more expensive.
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The online report that was posted here a few years ago was great, and made it very clear - keep you GM car all GM - use an AC Delco filter - there is nothing better - just more expensive.

would like to see this : )

------------------
If you ever have a questions about the sincerity of the circle of Fiero owners on this site, take a look at:

Pretty impressive.....

Firefighter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
Fram makes the WORST filters now. Fram used to make one of the best filters years ago and then they were bought by Allied. The bean counters go involved and decided they could use cheaper parts and sell the filters for the same price. So, all the former metal internals are now plastic and the older plastic parts are now cardboard; real quality. Stick with the original PF-52 AC filter, NAPA filters which are made by Wicks, Amsoil, or Mobil 1.

------------------

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

thats funny to hear, AC delco dont make their own filters, they just re-box whoever gives them a better deal and matches their specs...

at my work, we sell 2 brands, fram, and champ
the champ filter rep came in one day with a nice cutting device, bought 2 filters for the same car and cut them open.
the frams were carboard backings hot-glued into place
the champ was a nitril(sp) that was rivited, the fram cost about $3 more then the champ.... you figure it out

champ is the main filter maker for alot of other "re-brands"...

this is a good review to read about oil filters.
http://people.msoe.edu/~yod.../oilfilterstudy.html
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
I use NAPA Gold filters (made by Wix).
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
WIX
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Just got in this discussion recently as we're getting ready to fire my new engine, from discussions I've had the Amsoil and WIX are the best for fine micron filtration and high flow.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 06-19-2008).]

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Our work shop mechanics switched away from Fram in favor of Wix in all the work trucks. I've got the P-52 number memorized so I usually get the AC Delco in that size, it's longer and easier for me to replace and IIRC, it's an even 5 quarts in my V-6.
PFF
System Bot
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

Our work shop mechanics switched away from Fram in favor of Wix in all the work trucks. I've got the P-52 number memorized so I usually get the AC Delco in that size, it's longer and easier for me to replace and IIRC, it's an even 5 quarts in my V-6.

What does IIRC mean?
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NashvilleFiero:

What does IIRC mean?

IIRC = if I remembered correctly.

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
Anyone remember the toilet paper oil filters you used to be able to get from JC Whitney? lol
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroDirect Link to This Post
GM Made your engine, Use their Delco Filters!!

If you get to know the parts guy, they are under $6 each.

Matthew
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I've been using Fram's for years because of the nice grip on the tops. Guess I won't anymore.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
Hastings!!!!! Top Notch QUALITY. - / WIx - My second choice to Hastings - K&N I like the built on nut - Branded CHAMP a-ok but not much distribution. FRAM= JUNK sold out to the retailers and it shows. House brands napa/carquest/etc.. usually from a quality manufacture but are "compromise" filters (may not have some of the features of the BRAND NAME filter ie.. back flow valve) DELCO as was said above - many sources and a bunch off shore manufacturing.
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
Here it is. The toilet paper roll oil filter!!! No sh*@!

http://www.wefilterit.com/

------------------

Pretty impressive.....

NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

NashvilleFiero

555 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Here it is. The toilet paper roll oil filter!!! No sh*@!

http://www.wefilterit.com/

I like this quote the best "Test results have shown that the average engine circulates more than 1.8 tons of dirt per year!"

Geez no wonder my car is so heavy!!

------------------

Pretty impressive.....

NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
FieroBrad87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBrad87Send a Private Message to FieroBrad87Direct Link to This Post
I've got a WIX. My mechanic hates me for it, he'll put an ACDelco on it when it gets changed plus some good ole' Northland Oil.
murrrey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for murrreySend a Private Message to murrreyDirect Link to This Post
hastings or amsoil. only two worth a damn
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Anyone remember the toilet paper oil filters you used to be able to get from JC Whitney? lol

Yes, and they were messy to change. I did one in shop, about 1965, on a 1955 T bird.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I go out of my way to go to a store that carries Wix.
Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
I have not seen a Hastings filter since I was a child - that's long ago. Who carries Hastings filters?
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I usually use Wix. but I also pick up AC's at a good price at that place everyone complains about.....Wallyworld...
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefighter:

I have not seen a Hastings filter since I was a child - that's long ago. Who carries Hastings filters?

Hastings and Baldwin are both headquartered at the same address in Kearney, Nebraska. The web sites are: http://hastingsfilter.com/start.html and http://www.baldwinfilter.com/start.html

You can put in your zip code to find a dealer near you. Federated Auto Parts is one place that carries Hastiings.

I was surprised a while back to see both listed as making a filter for the 88 L4 engine.

edit....More on Hastings from answers.com:

Hastings sold its filter-making operations in the fall of 1995 to Clarcor, Inc. of Rockford, Illinois for $13.9 million. The deal included the company's Yankton and Knoxville facilities. After the sale was finalized, Clarcor would continue to make filters under the Hastings and Casite names, joining its own Baldwin, Clair, and Airguard brands. Hastings' decision to sell had been motivated by a desire to concentrate the company's efforts on its core product line of piston rings. A total of 250 employees who were involved with the filter operation were transferred to Clarcor, leaving Hastings with a total of 624.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 06-21-2008).]

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
I've heard that the Delco filters are becoming worse in quality. I have noticed that the inside looks a little different now on the PF-52. I need to find an old one and compare it to these new ones.
Wix filters are good. The Mobil 1 and K&N use a synthetic media instead of paper. I haven't used one yet, but from what I hear they are very good.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
I've been using Super Tech oil / filters from Wal Mart for years. Both are rated well and a good value.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Wal-Mart stopped carrying AC Delco's PF52 years ago, but now they stock them again.
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I was at the local speed shop just a few days ago and talked to them in depth about what filters they run on race motors. He said, they have done cut aways on many filters and the K&N seems to be one of the best they have taken apart. I have used the K&N filter on my last 2 oil changes in my 88GT. Actually did an oil change on it last night. I still have the filter.

Anyone have any suggestions on the easiest way to cut it open. If I can get it apart, I will take pics.

------------------
85GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Dougie Murder

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderDirect Link to This Post
Damn...I just bought a Fram sure grip to do an oil change on the Fiero...what can i use it for now? A paper weight? Pencil holder?

------------------
Dougie Murder
85 Fiero GT
Romeoliquorstore.com
Myspace

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Auto Zone rents a tail pipe cutter, it is a roller chain cutter. Clean it up and take it up there and see if they will cut it for you. Its $ 45.00 to rent it, but they give you all your money back when you return the tool. Cuts a tail pipe in less than 30seconds straight and smooth.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock