Where is it? by flimbob
Started on: 06-14-2008 10:41 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: JazzMan on 06-16-2008 06:06 PM
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobDirect Link to This Post
Trying to troubleshoot an ac problem, compressor won't kick in when the pressure cycling switch is shorted. The service manual is somewhat vague about the location of the compressor control relay and the a/c control head connector. I have a 86gt. The diagrams show 3 relays mounted in front of the air filter. My gt only has 2. It also alludes to checking voltages at the control head connector, but doesn't show where it might be located. Sure could use help here.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
max1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for max1Send a Private Message to max1Direct Link to This Post
I don't have AC, but going by Haynes manual it shows relays to the side of the accumulator up front under the hood, just behind the spare mounted to the firewall. It shows 2 relays.....the one closest to the accumulator is Power switching relay and next to it (furthest from accumulator) is High blower relay. hope this helps
flimbob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobDirect Link to This Post
Fixie!!! Fixie!!!

The head control unit is the switch cluster mounted in the dash. The edge connector connected on the back side is numbered alphabetically a to n. n is +12v from the fuse box. To get +12v to the compressor clutch, the head control switch has to be set for either max, norm, or b/l. This should route +12v to the g finger on the edge connector. After removing the metal top cover I could see where a peice of etch between a bank of switches had disintegrated. A quick peice of wire soldered between the 2 points gave me +12v at the g finger. Cranked up the GT, and Whala!, compressor cycles. Now I'm off to Big Lots to get R134a ( $4 a can ). Still would like to know where the compressor relay is though. Anybody ever messed with one?

[This message has been edited by flimbob (edited 06-14-2008).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-16-2008 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Compressor relay is on a bracket on the front left engine bay firewall, the other relay on the bracket is for the fuel pump. They're the same relay part number so are interchangeable.

JazzMan
flimbob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2008 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobDirect Link to This Post
So the coolant fan relay is located somewhere else?
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-16-2008 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
That I don't know. The picture above was taken from the '86 manual. I do know that the radiator fan relay is a different shape with inline connectors than the fuel pump and compressor clutch relays. My own direct experience is with '88 models which only have two relays at that location.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock