intrax lowering springs anyone?? by corvette72
Started on: 06-14-2008 04:02 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Intel on 08-26-2008 05:19 PM
corvette72

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for corvette72Send a Private Message to corvette72Direct Link to This Post
just wondering who has used these springs from intrax (1.8" in. front 1.7 in. rear)
do they requre any modifications and or does it affect camber/tilt of the tires?
any clearence isseue. I.E. speed bumps???

anyone possibly have pix of a fiero with these springs??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by corvette72:

just wondering who has used these springs from intrax (1.8" in. front 1.7 in. rear)
do they requre any modifications and or does it affect camber/tilt of the tires?
any clearence isseue. I.E. speed bumps???

anyone possibly have pix of a fiero with these springs??

I have Intrax

No problems at all. Love em.

18 X 8, 38mm offset HP Evo wheels. Monroe SensaTrak shocks and struts.

The ride is very smooth and nice. No clearance problems. They drop right in, no mods.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 06-14-2008).]

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2008 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Randye, Your pics have me sold on Intrax!

Can you tell me if you had any problems with alignment? Specifically, did you need the special adjusting ball joints for the upper control arms in the front?

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 06-15-2008).]

LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2008 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Direct Link to This Post
Hey I recently put in intrax and i love them. They improved my handling feel, look much better, and as a very unexpected surprise, actually IMPROVED my ride quality. I do have to take speed bumps with more caution, but i live in Seattle where there are some awful hills, pot holes, and curbs and i have never even bottomed out. The bad: mine are kinda noisy and i did have some trouble aligning the camber so i installed Rodney's front upper ball joints and rear cam bolts and was just barely able to get everything perfect.

I just have some cheap 16's on my car so it obviously isnt as nice lookin as randyes

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2008 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

Randye, Your pics have me sold on Intrax!

Can you tell me if you had any problems with alignment? Specifically, did you need the special adjusting ball joints for the upper control arms in the front?

No alignment problems at all. The alignment tech brought everything right into stock spec with no problem. Stock ball joints in the front uppers and lowers.

Since I'm presently running 18 X 8 wheels and P225/40/18 tires, the rolling diameter of the tires comes out almost the same as stock OEM Fiero wheels and tires, so with the 1.8 inch drop from the Intrax springs, I could actually drop down to a 17 inch wheel and go to a little higher profile tire for an even better ride. I could also use 17 inch wheels and 225/40/17 tires and get another 1/2 inch drop.
I like the look of the 18 inch wheels though....

With the Monroe SensaTrak rear struts, there is approx. 3/8 inch clearance between the tire and the spring perch on the struts. I can just get my index finger in between. It clears, and no rubbing.
A little more offset on the rear wheels couldn't hurt, but I wanted to be able to rotate the wheels and didn't want the fronts sticking out any further, so a 38mm offset was perfect.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 06-15-2008).]

DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2008 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
I also have intrax springs. Pretty much the same set up as randye, but I have 35mm offset, not 38mm. The front wheels dont seem to stick out too bad. The ride is excellent. I fell in love with it by the time I got to the end of my street. No clearance issues whatsoever. Even with 18 inch rims. For pics go to https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/091146.html

Pics of my car at end of page, blue car.

EDIT: I didnt even have to cut the bump stops. I have gone over some rocky, bumpy roads no problem (Slow) Oh and speed bumps, got to take them a little slower too.

[This message has been edited by DCRFiero1 (edited 06-15-2008).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2008 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeppelin513:

Hey I recently put in intrax and i love them. They improved my handling feel, look much better, and as a very unexpected surprise, actually IMPROVED my ride quality. I do have to take speed bumps with more caution, but i live in Seattle where there are some awful hills, pot holes, and curbs and i have never even bottomed out. The bad: mine are kinda noisy and i did have some trouble aligning the camber so i installed Rodney's front upper ball joints and rear cam bolts and was just barely able to get everything perfect.

I just have some cheap 16's on my car so it obviously isnt as nice lookin as randyes

Worn front upper ball joints should be replaced with adjustable ones like Rodneys.
As far as the noise you report, could it be that you didn't get the rubber spring isolators installed correctly or your control arm busings are making some noise?
The only very slight noise I've had at times has been from the urethane bushings I installed, and even then it's only noticable at extreme deflection of the suspension.

I have not heard any negative comments on the Intrax springs, and most often hear reports that the ride has *improved* over stock.
They give a comfortable ride for cruising and the progressive rate stiffens up nicely when you lean hard on them.
The best overall compromise for a street / performance suspension spring in my opinion.

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2008 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Just a followup question on this thread.

I am about to install my Intrax springs. I see a post here saying no special top ball joints up front and no cam bolts for the struts in the rear. Then another post saying they had to use these to get alignment correct.

I dropped the front on my 88 only 1" and had some issues up front. Kind of confused how I can drop my 87 1.7" and have no issues. I know the suspensions are different, but.....

Can I get some clarification?

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 08-24-2008).]

MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2008 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
What color are they? I know it doesn't matter the least bit for performance, just curiosity.
Intel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2008 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MordacP:
What color are they? I know it doesn't matter the least bit for performance, just curiosity.

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2008 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
My new ones from FS are black.

Can you confirm if I need or do not need the adjustable balljoints and strut cam bolts when running Intrax in a 1987?
PFF
System Bot
prizm-bluegt

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2008 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prizm-bluegtSend a Private Message to prizm-bluegtDirect Link to This Post
here's pics of mine. Did not have any alignment problems.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/069880.html
Intel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2008 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
When I put Intrax and KYB on my 87 the alignment shop couldn't get the front camber into specs. I know the guy at the shop and he always does excellent work on my corvette taking his time.
He could only get it to 1.0 degrees and the computer said MIN. -0.75 SPEC. 0.00 MAX. 0.75 degrees
I had to buy Rodneys adjustable balljoints to solve the problem.
The rears were ok but I got the Moog camber kit anyway.

[This message has been edited by Intel (edited 08-24-2008).]

Goldenfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2008 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenfootSend a Private Message to GoldenfootDirect Link to This Post
I have intrax on my 86 GT! I love how it eliminates the excess wheel space! Ride quality went way up! I added a rear sway bar, a larger sway bar up front with koni shocks and struts, went all poly with new ball joints and tierod ends. Took it to have it aligned and they couldnt get it on their lift without ruining my side skirts! LOL! Had to take it to another shop with a flat lift. But it aligned perfect and I love it! Corners like mad! Practically eliminated the bump steer too! Someone said I should modify (shorten) the front bump stop so I wouldnt bottom out, but even with the konis set on soft going 25 over a speed bump I didnt bottom out. (I didnt see the speed bump)
LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2008 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Direct Link to This Post
Need adj ball joints but may not need cam bolt. I got it anyway it is fairly cheap.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2008 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i have intrax on mine. merlot566jka put them on when he owned the car.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp to the wheels

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2008 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
have them both my 86n87 no problems
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2008 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Intel:
The rears were ok but I got the Moog camber kit anyway.

I don't see these cam bolts on the Autozone and Advance Auto websites. Can they be found locally or online only?
Intel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:I don't see these cam bolts on the Autozone and Advance Auto websites. Can they be found locally or online only?

I bought mine online from SummitRacing.
Part number: MOG-K928

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock