3.8 questions by nmw75
Started on: 06-13-2008 12:00 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: nmw75 on 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
Just came from the local salvage yard where I was looking for some GM wheels. No luck finding any but they do have a 3.8 & comp. from a 94 Regal. Said it ran good. They're asking $250 for the motor & $50 for the comp. I didn't think that was too bad?
How much of a job is it to drop that in place of the 2.5 & mate it to the 5sp trans?

I know there is a ton of info if I do a search, just don't have that much time right now..... THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
87 coupe resoration project.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Myke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MykeSend a Private Message to MykeDirect Link to This Post
Three questions:

How much time do you have to do the job?
How many miles on the engine?
What style 3800?

It's not all that difficult to do this swap. A friend of mine in Milford just did a series II sc. Taking his time and sandblasting the frame only took him a few weeks total (over a 9 month span as he did a small amount every 4-7 days)

Check out the build threads once you have the engine. Keep in mind this is not a project to rush, and it will cost more $$ than your innitial purchase. You will have to buy things, and fabricate things, and You will have to have a harness made up for it.

There are vendors who are screw balls. They take peoples money for the work on the harness AND the harness but return neither. Check up on your vendors before you commit to using them!!! That Jack-Mule my friend used still has my friends harness, full payment for the work, and has every excuse in the book. It have been over a year. Be careful who you use.

Myke
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
f

------------------
Losing sight of our roots in the cathode rays.

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Myke:

Three questions:

How much time do you have to do the job?
How many miles on the engine?
What style 3800?

It's not all that difficult to do this swap. A friend of mine in Milford just did a series II sc. Taking his time and sandblasting the frame only took him a few weeks total (over a 9 month span as he did a small amount every 4-7 days)

Check out the build threads once you have the engine. Keep in mind this is not a project to rush, and it will cost more $$ than your innitial purchase. You will have to buy things, and fabricate things, and You will have to have a harness made up for it.

There are vendors who are screw balls. They take peoples money for the work on the harness AND the harness but return neither. Check up on your vendors before you commit to using them!!! That Jack-Mule my friend used still has my friends harness, full payment for the work, and has every excuse in the book. It have been over a year. Be careful who you use.

Myke

The mileage is unknown on the engine. I haven't seen it in person but I believe its a series 1.
I have unlimited time for the swap as the car is not on the road & is in my garage. I don't have to rush in other words. I have a friend that's a mechanic & can help me "freshen up" the engine if needed. He can get GM parts at cost.
I was thinking of just buying the motor if it was a good price. Stuff it in the corner till I'm ready to do the swap.

---darkhorizon---- Thanks for the Ultimate 3800 swap thread.

------------------
87 coupe resoration project.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock