Started on: 06-11-2008 08:39 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 06-17-2008 08:23 AM
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
ok, i know of a monsoon from a 01 ram air t/a that i can get. i am needing to know if i need the amp from that system as well and where it is located in the t/a.

upon a search, i have seen "UP3" mentioned here. i am guessing that is the rpo code.

i could not find anything specific for my search as to if i need that monsoon amp as well. then how i am going to be able to wire it up to the stock sub.

thank you for all of your help everyone!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
All you need is the adapters for a direct swap. http://replacementradios.co...2_204&products_id=75

I put a Monsoon in an 84, only used an amp for the subwoofer https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/081643.html

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
just the person i would like an answer from.

for me to be able to use the T/A monsoon amp, can i connect that to my stock sub? it looks like you are using some other kind of non-monsoon amp.would i connect a monsoon amp to my stock amp (sounds like a big no-no) or bypass it and deal with not having control of the amp output from the slider on my dome light?

im looking to get the 10 speaker or however many system minus the speakers that are in T/A's.

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 06-11-2008).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

just the person i would like an answer from.

for me to be able to use the T/A monsoon amp, can i connect that to my stock sub? it looks like you are using some other kind of non-monsoon amp.would i connect a monsoon amp to my stock amp (sounds like a big no-no) or bypass it and deal with not having control of the amp output from the slider on my dome light?

im looking to get the 10 speaker or however many system minus the speakers that are in T/A's.

Use the deck to run your 4 speakers, and the stock sub amp for the subwoofer. Someone else can chime in on how to get that working.

You don't need the Monsoon amp at all, but if that's what you want to do, you'll need a Helm's wiring diagram for the T/A's audio system to see how everything is hooked up and figure it out from there.

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
GOD FCKING DAMNIT! everything i just typed didnt send then its gone when i clicked the back button. so frusterating. im going to try this again
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

americasfuture2k

7131 posts
Member since Jan 2006
i have seen on many sources that the monsoon sounds hoorrible with out the amp. and i am thing that is like the bose, the amp is also the signal proccessor.

i just came up with a way to make that sub slider work with a monsoon amp. im sure that the slider is just a simple potentiometer since it was designed in the 80's. just run that in line with the signal before it is amped so you have control of how loud it can be.

im sure that monsoon amp is a signal processor too. how else can you control 10 speakers with a 4 out head unit? but trying to fit 10 speakers of any size into a fiero is pretty pointless. but what i was thinking was making some plate speakers like the ones you designed without the component speakers driver. just use the tweet signal to the tweets in the plate and the front mids to the mids in the plates. and of course, back speakers are wired up the same as any regular setup. and the sub out to the sub. these will all be coming from the signal proccessor/amp.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

i have seen on many sources that the monsoon sounds hoorrible with out the amp. and i am thing that is like the bose, the amp is also the signal proccessor.

The Delco Monsoon head unit is no different from any other GM Delco head unit in the way it works. The "Monsoon" part is the external amplifier and different speakers.

Some T/A audio info here http://www.paveglio.com/firebird/tastereo.html
Monsoon wiring diagrams (for Camaro) http://www.thirdshiftstudios.com/monsoon.zip
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
ah ok, that makes sense. i do need to research more into them. but im pretty sure i can get the headunit, amp and wiring from this guy i work with for a very fair price. its cheaper than trying to interface an aftermarket amp that may be too powerful.

after reading some of that link, it sounds like the monsoon subs have a lil amp on them. not a problem, i can use the fiero amp in line with it all if that is the case.

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 06-11-2008).]

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I modified the overhead console to control my Kicker amp, the slider inside is a B Taper 10kohm Stereo Potentiometer if I remember correctly, however the function range is 10 to 20k. For some reason they ran one signal through both sides of the slider, so at zero it reads 10k ohms, and maxed it reads 20k. Must have been cheaper than wiring a mono 10k pot with a 10k resistor in front of it.

On my modified unit I replaced the slider with two 50k ohm B taper sliders, I couldn't find a stereo slider to suit at the time. The sliders now control a hi-level converter that feeds my amp.

I'm working on a much simplified version that will plug right in even if the car was not originally equipped.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 06-11-2008).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2008 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
well i got my monsoon and made my own cable from parts from the junkyard and an adapter plug from wally-world. i had to of course remove that backing plate in the radio housing and unbolt a bundle of wires so the radio would go in all the way. to power the stock amp, i just jumpered the switched power to the "antenna" wire to turn on the amp at startup.

all in all, it works great! the stuck sub sounds a little fluttery and not very sharp. of course. i think my sub has been replaced before. but even with a replacement that fits in the stock location, its not going to sound to well.

i also have the 10 speaker firebird monsoon amp that i will be hooking up later. i need to replace the speakers with some homemade plates that are of a decent quality that wont fry from the 500w monsoon amp.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock