Failed EVAP test Smog by bsculptor
Started on: 06-10-2008 09:02 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: daniel87fierogt on 06-11-2008 02:11 AM
bsculptor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bsculptorSend a Private Message to bsculptorDirect Link to This Post
Everything went great till i had to do that EVAP Test. So i guess theres a leak in my fuel system ? Please help me on where to start!
Also , when i am at the gas station , the gas pump keeps shutting off , it goes for like 5 seconds then stops as if it was full.

thanks so much

[This message has been edited by bsculptor (edited 06-10-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
xunedeinx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xunedeinxSend a Private Message to xunedeinxDirect Link to This Post
Gascap
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
Nope its not his gas cap. They pressurize the fuel tank now and clamp off the vent line coming up to the charcoal canister. So i would say just replace the vent line coming from the tank, thats probably where your leak is.
bsculptor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bsculptorSend a Private Message to bsculptorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by xunedeinx:

Gascap

i do not think it is the gascap, because the smog guy uses his own special gascap that has a pressurized hose running to the EVAP machine. He does not even use mine .

I hate CALIFORNIA

bsculptor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bsculptorSend a Private Message to bsculptorDirect Link to This Post

bsculptor

329 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

Nope its not his gas cap. They pressurize the fuel tank now and clamp off the vent line coming up to the charcoal canister. So i would say just replace the vent line coming from the tank, thats probably where your leak is.

is this why when i am at the gas station , the gas pump keeps shutting off , it goes for like 5 seconds then stops as if it was full ?
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
To be honest i would think that if you had a leak in your vent line then that wouldnt cause the pump to shutoff early. Now if the vent line was crushed or blocked then that could have something to do with why the pump is shutting off prematurely. I have had the same problem at a couple of pumps but i believe it was a problem with the pump. Does it have this problem no matter where you fill up?
bsculptor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bsculptorSend a Private Message to bsculptorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

To be honest i would think that if you had a leak in your vent line then that wouldnt cause the pump to shutoff early. Now if the vent line was crushed or blocked then that could have something to do with why the pump is shutting off prematurely. I have had the same problem at a couple of pumps but i believe it was a problem with the pump. Does it have this problem no matter where you fill up?

It is at every pump. I just got back from checking around my evap canister. I took it out and it was very very dirty on the bottom where the filter is. Not sure if this is the problem or just adding to it. I will buy another one tomorow and put it in. (if i can buy this at kragen that is)
thanks
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
bsculpter. I saw a big video on how this test works and well we are all in for a killing of pain and torcher here in california on this new test. What i would do is not even mess with the evap canister. Because they pinch the host off before it gets to the canister!!! You need to just to be safe replace the hoses. It will save you a lot of headache in the long run. I saw this test run and there is nooooo way to beat this test.

Esentally breakdown of the test as i have seen it

1. in stall correct gas cap from machine.
2. install hose clamp infront of evap canister.
3. apply 20psi of presser to system
4. sustain pressure for 5 min.
5. check pressure loss
6. pass or fail

So inother words this test cannot be rigged like the other tests can be.
Make sure all hoses are securly tightened and replace all hoses in the system dealing with filling the gas tank to the filler neck and the evap canister.

I priced it out and your looking at about $100 or you can go to a fixing station and they can charge you 1500 - 2000 for parts in labor like i have seen them to do some cars. :-)
My 2cents
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
I agree with mmeyer about not even worrying about buying the new evap/charcoal canister. They pinch the line off before it even gets to the canister. Just go down to the auto parts store and purchase a few feet of i think its 5/16 fuel line and start replacing all the lines that have to do with the evap and the vent line coming off the tank. There all 20+ years old so they all probably need to be replaced.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock