Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Need to remove bolt from 88 knuckle, suggestions?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Need to remove bolt from 88 knuckle, suggestions? by darkhorizon
Started on: 06-10-2008 02:48 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: darkhorizon on 06-11-2008 11:35 PM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I am looking at trying to get this bolt out, I cut it on both sides, and I have about an inch on one side just so i have something to hammer on.

I have tried a stupid amount of heat already, and that didnt even get it to move.... i would like to find a solution that I could soak it in that would start attacking the rust in there, and possibly drill a relief hole in the center of the knuckle for that solution.

Meanwhile I will be cutting off every cradle bolt mount with a sawzall, 10 cuts, they each take about 10 mins each........
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bigfieroman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Have a machine shop press it out?

------------------

More info at: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I guess BFH 2 people, and ALOT more heat would be the answer I guess.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You might try an air chisel, Sometimes rattling it for a while will break the rust loose after soaking.
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I guess BFH 2 people, and ALOT more heat would be the answer I guess.

Be a bit careful using a lot of heat on suspension conponents. You could alter the heat treatment, and thus the strength, of the part.

Too late now, but I generally find that not cutting off the head, putting an impact gun on it, and rattling away with penetrating oil on it will eventually let it turn. As someone mentioned, an air chisel, or any other way of vibrating it combined with soaking it should do it.
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I am looking at trying to get this bolt out, I cut it on both sides, and I have about an inch on one side just so i have something to hammer on.

I have tried a stupid amount of heat already, and that didnt even get it to move.... i would like to find a solution that I could soak it in that would start attacking the rust in there, and possibly drill a relief hole in the center of the knuckle for that solution.

Meanwhile I will be cutting off every cradle bolt mount with a sawzall, 10 cuts, they each take about 10 mins each........

If you haven't tried it already, go get a can of "PB Blast" and soak that sucker good. Let it sit for an hour or so, and soak it again. Then soak it again overnight. This stuff REALLY does work amazingly well in my experience. I've had bolts that didn't move at all suddenly come loose like they're in butter. Definitely can't hurt anything...

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
It is very hard to use PB on the entire length of the bolt...
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
After the nut comes off I usually put a long ass pipe on the end and try to work the bolt back and forth. I used a jack handle one time and that was barely enough. It got the job done but an extra foot would have really helped. Once you get it to turn at all, lube the hell out of it and continue to rotate in either direction until it loosens up.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bigfieroman:

Have a machine shop press it out?

Yes, or use a strong C-clamp on it. Use a socket just a bit larger than the bolt diameter on one end then your C-clamp on the exposed end and press it through. Maybe you've done the same on rear brake calipers, socket over e-brake actuator and compress the piston in with C-clamp.

Now, you said that you had about an inch left on one end, does it have threads? Can you put the nut back on and "pull" the bolt through by tightening down on the nut? Instead of pressing it through with a c-clamp, you would be pulling it through.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I should have tried twisting it out... I just didnt have it in car or anything, would have been hard.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock