88 cradle bolt problems by gamefish
Started on: 06-09-2008 09:18 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: sjmaye on 06-11-2008 06:19 PM
gamefish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gamefishSend a Private Message to gamefishDirect Link to This Post
This last week end I started taking apart the 88 cradle that I purchased for my 87 gt. I知 having a problem removing the bolt that connects one of the arms to the cradle. I would post a picture but I知 not sure how so I知 going to describe it. It is on the shorter arm the one without the nuts and bolts. The bolt is the one that connects this arm to the cradle. I have tried everything to release this bolt. I even burnt out the rubber bushing while it was still attached to the cradle (well it started on fire while I was heating up the bolt so I let it burn) I have beat it with hammers, pryed it with flat bars, and squeezed it with vice grips! My last resort is to try and cut it out with a saw. Has anyone else had this problem if so how did you solve it?

On a 2nd note I have been told that I need a 88 6 cyl motor mount to replace the one that is on my 87 also I need to trim off the auto trans mount that is on the cradle. Could someone post a picture of the auto Trans mount? I just want to make sure I知 cutting off the right piece. I知 almost 100% sure what part it is but I don稚 want to make a mistake.

If there is anyone that has the motor mount I need for sale please p.m me
Thanks again
Ryan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
all 4 of mine are frozen, been cutting them in shifts with my friend for the last day or so. Sawzall should do it.
gamefish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gamefishSend a Private Message to gamefishDirect Link to This Post
ya thats what i was thinking of using. i would have tried it already but all i have are large wood blades and im to lazy to drive to the store rigth now. did you have to drill out the two main bolts that hold the cradle in the car? my cradle came to me with two rusted bolts that are broke off. :-(

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I used near a full 20gal tank of cutting torch to get one bolt out the knuckle, the other side is up for a cooler day this week.
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Maybe these pics will help.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
If you have burned the bushing out, then you should be able to rotate the bolt/inner sleeve. There is a seam on the inner sleeve and if you can get a narrow chisel along that seam you can beat/pry the inner sleeve apart just enough to break up the rust and free the bolt. This will save the bolt and a new inner sleeve comes with the new bushings
gamefish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gamefishSend a Private Message to gamefishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If you have burned the bushing out, then you should be able to rotate the bolt/inner sleeve. There is a seam on the inner sleeve and if you can get a narrow chisel along that seam you can beat/pry the inner sleeve apart just enough to break up the rust and free the bolt. This will save the bolt and a new inner sleeve comes with the new bushings

thats a good idea i will try the seam split trick tomarrow if i get home from work at a decent time. has any one had any luck cutting the bolt head off then using a punch to pound it through?
gamefish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gamefishSend a Private Message to gamefishDirect Link to This Post

gamefish

36 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by sjmaye:

Maybe these pics will help.

is this cradle from a gt car? i do not see what i think is the 4cyl auto trans mount. also does any one know if i can purchase the 88 gt motor mount new or is the a salvage yard part? if im understanding what i have been told the 87 gt mount is different than the 88 correct?
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gamefish:

thats a good idea i will try the seam split trick tomarrow if i get home from work at a decent time. has any one had any luck cutting the bolt head off then using a punch to pound it through?

Try punching it from the threaded side first? You'll need to use a wrench on the head to steady it as you use a punch on the bushing seam.

Has anyone tried to use compression force to split the bushing seam and the bond of rust? I may be way off base here, I sometimes see things differently but what if you were to over-tighten the nut on the bolt? With enough force, say 1/2" breaker bars, some washers to back up the nut against the frame, why wouldn't the bushing give away in the weakest spot, namely the seam? Split the seam and you should be good to go, right? I'm not a professional mechanic, why wouldn't that work also?

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gamefish:

is this cradle from a gt car? i do not see what i think is the 4cyl auto trans mount. also does any one know if i can purchase the 88 gt motor mount new or is the a salvage yard part? if im understanding what i have been told the 87 gt mount is different than the 88 correct?

Yes the pictures are of my 88 GT cradle

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock