Aluminum Heads? by BabyVet
Started on: 06-08-2008 11:28 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: BabyVet on 06-09-2008 07:56 PM
BabyVet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post
Ok i have a 2.8 fiero and am looking to rebuild it and was wondering if you can us aluminum heads on this motor? Cause i'm looking to build a high compression 2.8 and would like to run nitrous with it and i know that aluminum heads disapate heat better than cast iron head do and would!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
The offered aluminum heads on the 3.1 liter (and others I am sure), but never the 2.8. In order to use them, you would also have to use the 3.1 intake, which was set up for DIS (no distributer). This would probably also require the computer and wiring from the 3.1.

I think it would only be worth it if you were going for extreme performance, as the aluminum heads can also be ported much more than the cast iron 2.8 heads.....but by the time you go thru that much work in wiring and such, you would probably be better off switching to a 3.4 DOHC or a different engine swap.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Actually, there are FWD 2.8 engines with aluminum heads. Not that it matters, because the 2.8 and 3.1 use the same heads. Not only do they run cooler than iron heads, but they have better flow characteristics. More flow = more power.

But like CowsPatoot mentioned, the aluminum heads are not compatible with the Fiero intake. You'd need to use the FWD intake, which has no provision for a distributer, which means you'll need to convert to DIS, which means you'll need an engine block with a hole for the crank position sensor.

To make a long story short, you'll basically need the whole FWD 2.8 / 3.1 engine.
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post
Well thanks for the info guys it a big help
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
another important difference - besides the fact that the intakes dont interchange - the combustion area. on the original iron heads - the combustion area is in the heads - with the alum heads, it is in the pistons (the pistons are dished). you must change pistoins to use the alum heads.

thp, I have often wondered, if you could grind away into the heads - to give enough area. properly done - you can get 11:1 compression (or whatever else).

but - anyways - if you really want to use the alum heads - do the swap. get a 3400SFI. better flowing alum heads. more precise DIS igntion. fuel effeicent & smooth idle SFI. roller cam. digital EGR. option for digital cruise. much easier to turbocharge.

and - nexrt - there have been alum heads cast using the iron head casting. rare find - but they are out there. along with alum blocks. again - rare find.
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post
Well i would love to do the 3.4 DOHC or the 3800sc i know where there is a DOCH motor sitting that needs rebuild but the probablem i have with all that is i'm going to be moving in a few months to laramie wy for wyotech and i don't have a place to do the swap and or the time and money right this min. Or i would really spend the money and do the LS1 swap like i really want to keep with my "BabyVet" theme

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock