Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Isuzu 5 speed with 2.8 V6 Turbo Opinions?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Isuzu 5 speed with 2.8 V6 Turbo Opinions? by FieroFanatic13
Started on: 06-06-2008 12:03 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: skstibi on 06-07-2008 02:06 AM
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post
Okay- since many have successfully used the Isuzu on V8 swaps, I am curious as to whether or not it would be stupid to use an Isuzu 5 speed (NEW, not used) on my 2.8 V6 Turbo swap into my '88 base coupe? The drivetrain currently has the 4 speed muncie from the original 86 SE donor car.

I am worried about that "2nd gear issue" and whether or not 1st gear is "short" for a V6?

Finding Getrags is difficult, let alone without 150K on it, which is why I am wondering about this.

Thanks for any responses!

-Gary
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I am using a used Isuzu on my non-turbo'd 2.8 V6.

First gear is awful short, but I have no issues with any gears.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
As long as you don't speed shift or side step the clutch, you should be okay. At least for a while.
Having said that, if you beat on it you can break an Isuzu with a stock 2.8.

1st gear is awfully short. And the gap between 1st and 2nd is pretty ugly.
2 to 3 is niiiice, however. I wish all the gears were spaced that way.
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

As long as you don't speed shift or side step the clutch, you should be okay. At least for a while.
Having said that, if you beat on it you can break an Isuzu with a stock 2.8.

1st gear is awfully short. And the gap between 1st and 2nd is pretty ugly.
2 to 3 is niiiice, however. I wish all the gears were spaced that way.

I drive spiritedly, but I don't power shift or do burnouts dropping the clutch, so I am thinking I could make it last. I AM worried about the "short" first gear and possibly the gap between 1st and 2nd though. Maybe the extra power with the turbo would make the gap less of an aggravation? But I bet 1st will seem even shorter...
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:

I drive spiritedly, but I don't power shift or do burnouts dropping the clutch, so I am thinking I could make it last. I AM worried about the "short" first gear and possibly the gap between 1st and 2nd though. Maybe the extra power with the turbo would make the gap less of an aggravation? But I bet 1st will seem even shorter...

If you can rev the motor, ive got 40 or so outta first which I think is pretty tall for a 1st gear.

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
first gear is too short for the Duke even...
skstibi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skstibiSend a Private Message to skstibiDirect Link to This Post
I am using this trans in my '87 GT. It has 215 65 15 tires on the rear. First gear is not bad considering a lot of other things I have been driving.

I found a clear straight with no traffic, no cops, and no houses and did a test (a few months back with a unknowing passenger). I don't recall 1st but I think it was 35-40, second is 60, third was about 80, 4th... I did not dare to keep my foot down past 95, besides, I don't have a license for another month and the car is not registered. I would not try anything sudden with the trans (this means no burnouts, clutch kicking, holding it floored when going from dirt to something grippy..), you might need a ride home after.

[This message has been edited by skstibi (edited 06-07-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock