4 spd tranny fluid change? by Mr.D
Started on: 06-06-2008 01:02 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Mr.D on 06-06-2008 05:21 PM
Mr.D

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DSend a Private Message to Mr.DDirect Link to This Post
Hey all, New guy here. I just purchased a 85 gt with 28,000 mi and I'm in the proccess of giving it a fresh start at life. Today I replaced the following items. MSD blaster coil, MSD cap and rotor, Taylor Cable 74224 wires , NGK UR5 plugs, K&N air filter, Purlator fuel filter, O2 sensor, Mobil 5w30 synthetic oil and filter. Tomorrow I plan on replacing the fuel pump and changing the tranny fluid. Which brings me to my question. I am not exactly sure what the correct fluid is supposed to be. I was thumbing through the archives and noticed some say to use synchromesh and others say it was not intended to be use in the 4 speed and should not be used. These post were pretty old. So two questions. What fluid should I use synchromesh or a synthetic 5w30 and what are the procedures for changing the fluid?.

Thanks,
Mr.D

------------------
I've sure gotten old!
I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement,
new knees, fought prostate cancer and diabetes.
I'm half blind,
can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine,
take 40 different medications that
make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts.
Have bouts with dementia.
Have poor circulation;
hardly feel my hands and feet anymore.
Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92.
Have lost all my friends.
But, thank God,
I still have my driver's license.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2008 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The trannies came from the factory with motor oil, but GM issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) later that changed the specification to Synchromesh, which is a superior lube.

JazzMan
Mr.D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DSend a Private Message to Mr.DDirect Link to This Post
Thanks JazzMan

Now I just need to know were to fill it and how to check the fluid level. I see theres a drain plug but were do you fill?
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
On the bellhousing on the rear of the engine you will see wires going to a tach sensor down low. You can't miss it if you look directly under the exhaust manifold flange.

That comes out for filling, however, there is a nylon gear on the bottom which can fall into the tranny so take care when removing it. The other option is to fill it at the plug on on the back, but that is a PITA in my view, and the sensor hole works fine.

Hope this helps.

Arn

I've tried 5w30, Synthetic, and Synchromesh on my Muncie and the Synchromesh is just plain superior in every way.

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 06-06-2008).]

Mr.D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DSend a Private Message to Mr.DDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

On the bellhousing on the rear of the engine you will see wires going to a tach sensor down low. You can't miss it if you look directly under the exhaust manifold flange.

That comes out for filling, however, there is a nylon gear on the bottom which can fall into the tranny so take care when removing it. The other option is to fill it at the plug on on the back, but that is a PITA in my view, and the sensor hole works fine.

Hope this helps.

Arn

I've tried 5w30, Synthetic, and Synchromesh on my Muncie and the Synchromesh is just plain superior in every way.

Thx Arn. I drained the fluid from the low point next to the axel and pulled the sensor to refill but how do know were the full mark is. I dont see any markings on the sensor and don't wanna overfill it. Also, how much fluid do these trannys hold. If two quarts came out I would be surprised.
Mr.D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DSend a Private Message to Mr.DDirect Link to This Post

Mr.D

30 posts
Member since May 2008
Ok, since I couldn't find any markings on the sensor I went out and pulled the plug on the side of the tranny then added fluid though the sensor hole till fluid ran out of the plug hole. It took just under 3 qts to fill. I think this should put the tranny at the proper fluid level. Sound right to you guys???

Thanks,
Mr.D

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock