Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Engine and cradle paint, what should I use?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Engine and cradle paint, what should I use? by jetman
Started on: 06-05-2008 09:44 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: CowsPatoot on 06-21-2008 11:13 PM
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Stock 88 Duke engine, I need to repaint the oil pan, lifter valley cover, air cleaner and other assorted stuff prior to reassemble. I want to keep this simple, a thorough prep and a quick spray. What looks good and what should I use?

I only have some minor rust on my cradle, just looking to touch it up, make it look clean.

What is the stock color of the cradle?

I always appreciate the good folks here on the forum, looking forward to the replies.

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 06-21-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I used Por-15 all over my cradle and it looks good - and is solid. Rust should not be able to get through this stuff, but I can't tell you for sure until I've had it on for a while.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
84FieroVT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84FieroVTSend a Private Message to 84FieroVTDirect Link to This Post
I like rubberized undercoating, dont think it would hold up to the heat of an engine though
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the shop mechanics are really pushing me to do the POR 15 also, just didn't want to get that deep into it but then again,,,,,

Ok, what about engine paint for covers, intake and stuff? I want to keep the stock look, what works best?

Thanks again.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I think i used duplicolor ford red on my intake. Matched the factory well. Por15 on the cradle. Wiltses paint on dixie sells it, so you dont have to pay for shipping
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
3 years since I put POR15 on my cradle, the car is a daily driver (summer and winter) and can say the POR15 did not last - and YES I painted on bare metal (blasted). The exposed areas (rear bottom on the cradle for example) it is not covered anymore (not sure if it peeled off or what). Still good on the other areas that are not exposed to the elements as much. If I could back to the beginning I would use an etching paint...oh well, too lazy to take it all apart to redo...

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-06-2008).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

Yeah, the shop mechanics are really pushing me to do the POR 15 also, just didn't want to get that deep into it but then again,,,,,

Ok, what about engine paint for covers, intake and stuff? I want to keep the stock look, what works best?

Thanks again.

I used VHT "Universal Red" over bare, clean aluminum and then used Duplicolor's Clear wheel paint over that.
The clear wheel paint seems to be very durable and maintains a high gloss over the red.
(all rattle cans by the way)
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
I used dupli-colour low gloss black engine enamel on both engine and cradle...Very happy with how it turned out...But after using dupli-colour truck bed coating in my engine bay I would use this next time for my cradle.

Truck bed liner...Used in engine bay and wheel wells

jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Wow Bud, engine came out looking nice, cradle too. I really like the dupli-color low gloss black engine enamel on both engine and cradle, looks clean. I'm still trying to make up my mind, will figure it out tomorrow as I clean up the engine bay.
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know what is the stock color of the cradle?

PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
I have a new '85 - '87 cradle that's never been installed in a car, and it's semi-gloss black.
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

I have a new '85 - '87 cradle that's never been installed in a car, and it's semi-gloss black.

Wow, I believe you 100% on your '85 - '87 cradle. I'm seeing a midnight blue of some sort on my 88 cradle. I'm certain that it's stock, it had some stickers on it and nothing even remotely suggests it was ever out of the car. Part of the transmission / engine bracket is the same color, looks like I'm going to remove it and try to match up the color somehow unless someone here can chime in.
D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
The original cradle color was just flat black.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
I never paid much attention to the color of the cradle....I just always assumed it was black. Jetman's comment made me go look again. Here is a picture of a black tranny mount sitting on the 88 cradle (original paint) for comparison.

For the record....my 86 cradle that came out of the car (also original paint) is the same color as my 88.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock