Started on: 06-05-2008 01:41 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: sostock on 06-06-2008 04:05 PM
sostock

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
84 SE 4 speed.

I can hear the fuel pump prime with key in "on" position. Cranks over but won't fire. Has gas. Checked fuses, have not looked at relays. I poured some gas into the throttle body and it fired up and ran for a few seconds. All I'm getting is a small drop from the throttle body injector, not a spray. Pulled the line off at fuel filter and it was not under pressure, cranked it over and a good gush of gas came out.Trying to figure out if its a fuel delivery problem or something in the injector/regulator.

My first problem is find out how much pressure I have. The duke does not have the Schrader valve set up and when I bought the fuel pressure gauge that's what they gave me. What kind do I need to ask for that screws into the fuel line?

pic.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
Well I cut a section of hose and taped it to the fuel rail. When it "primed" it went to 2 psi. When cranking it went to 3 psi and then blew off. Can the fuel pump be partially bad? Pumps but not enough? I really need a gauge that screws on to get an accurate reading.
sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

sostock

5907 posts
Member since May 2005
Ok kinda rigged something together. Pinched off return line. When priming goes to 2 psi. When cranking goes to almost 3. Once I quit cranking it drops down to 0 in about 2-3 seconds.

No fuel leaking.

Fuel pump? Any ideas before I drop the tank?
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Replace fuel filter.

If that doesn't help, it's the pump.
sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, fuel filter only has couple of thousand miles on it, took it off and blew through it, no restriction.

Would Delphi be the best to replace it with?
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I have a Delphi in my Formula and am very happy. Keep in mind its possible just the hose connecting your pump to the sending unit is leaking.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

I have a Delphi in my Formula and am very happy. Keep in mind its possible just the hose connecting your pump to the sending unit is leaking.

True, Xanth, but would you replace just the hose after going to all the trouble of dropping the tank?

Sostock:
On my 84s, I got a 3/8" brass pipe tee, 3 threaded nipples with push on connections, 3 peices of 3/8 hose and 4 hose clamps. Threaded a nipple into each of the tee openings.
1. removed the fuel filter.
2. Slipped a peice of 3/8 id hose on fuel supply line and clamped it. Other end goes to a tee.
3. Slipped a peice of 3/8 id hose on line that goes to TB and clamped it. Other end goes to the tee.
4. This leaves one empty opening on the tee. That's where you put a gage. I just used a gage of known accuracy that had npt threads on it instead of the shrader type. I only owned 84s at the time, so it was all I needed.
When installed,the tee setup just takes the place of the fuel filter, which allows fuel to flow to the tb and you still are able to start the emgine and read the pressure.

sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

Heh, car has been down for a year, because of a 50 cent rubber tube.

Well better get this thing back together.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock