Exhaust Studs by Sullivan
Started on: 06-04-2008 02:19 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 06-07-2008 08:08 AM
Sullivan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SullivanSend a Private Message to SullivanDirect Link to This Post
What model and year saturn has the stainless steel studs?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
http://www.rodneydickman.com/
Rodney use to have them, send him a PM and he should be able to help.
Sullivan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SullivanSend a Private Message to SullivanDirect Link to This Post
Thank's Jake I was starting to think I hallucinated hearing they existed, with no response. But now I wonder if GM doesn't sell them anymore if he doesn't carry them now.
daurand

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daurandSend a Private Message to daurandDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to know about the studs, too.

If they are not available, what is the next best choice?

------------------
87 GT auto, no wing - needs paint

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
FieroStore has a stud kit for sale still, part # 88100

I have Rodney's kit, I am fairly certain neither his nor FieroStore's kit is stainless though.
Sullivan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SullivanSend a Private Message to SullivanDirect Link to This Post
I found some part #'s but they have either changed or have been discontinued.
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I was in the market recently. Neither Rodney nor FS were stainless. What type they did have, Rodney was out of stock so i bought from FS.
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Go to your local marine supply store, they should stock SS bolts in the correct thread. My local one had them. figure regular bolts (1.5")for all the ones that don;t have the heat shields, and ones that are threaded long enough to make a stud (2"-2.25"), and get 2 nuts for them. Get some SS flat washers while you are there too. You can get lock washers if you want, but honestly I have never seen an exhaust bolt loosen and fall out unless it had an ovaled redrilled hole in the block and poor loose fit.
Next, when installing them, be sure you slather the threads in the block and the bolt threads with neverseize. When installing the intakes, use a paper thin coat of permatex ultracopper hi temp rtv on both sides of the gasket.
won;t leak, comes apart easily, and lasts a long time.
DON'T get the cheapo Home depot ss bolts, (doubtful they have the right size anyway, they use a low grade ss, very soft and somewhat magnetic.)
One drawback is you will likely pay as much for the ss bolts there as you would a hardened stud set. The advantage is if you install them like I did, they come right back out, and evern after 2 NE winters, they are as nice and shiny as the cereamic coatingon the sprint headers,
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
I just bought a set of studs from The Fiero Warehouse. They had a stand set up at the "Fieros at Carlisle" show in Carlisle, Pa just last month.

Maybe check with them? They do not look like they are stainless, but I am sure they are hardened in some way. I do not see any stampings on them marking the hardness...
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

chrishahn87

1584 posts
Member since Dec 2004

Originally posted by tjm4fun:
When installing the intakes, use a paper thin coat of permatex ultracopper hi temp rtv on both sides of the gasket.
won;t leak, comes apart easily, and lasts a long time.

Are you sure you dont mean "when installing the exhaust manifolds"

As for the advice for installing the (Permatex Ultracopper - hi temp rtv) on both sides of the exhaust manifold gasket... I STRONGLY advise anyone who is changing out these gaskets to use this gasket sealer!

I have used it in the past with GREAT success!!! I also used lock washers, on both manifold bolts and the nuts (for the studs), and have had great success over the years without problems!!!

Chris
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I don't know that I would want to use stainless bolts in my heads. Stainless will gall up faster than steel and break off.
The studs and nuts work better because a nut is easier to remove than a bolt in a blind hole.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock