Low Mount Alternator Bracket by anwalker
Started on: 06-03-2008 07:16 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: anwalker on 06-05-2008 02:44 PM
anwalker

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2008 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys I just finished installing the upper half of my alternator relocation bracket and I am really pleased with how it turned out. I designed it using Autodesk inventor then I machined it in house. I like it because it fits nicely and doesnt interfere with spark plug access or the axles. I have also designed the lower brackets but I am waiting on my dad to turn those out for me. They have a nice soft tool shop for handling sheet metal.

If there is an interest I may be able to mass produce these.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Whether you mass produce these or not, I am interested in the Inventor files. cowspatoot@gmail.com if you are willing to pass them on.
Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
I too would like to get a set of the drawing files.

mjfinfla@bellsouth.net

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
sell them !!! at least put me on the list
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
Got my attention.. $$ on a set? turn around time?

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
86 SE
sbc / 5sp

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I am a bit confused as to what is so special about this... I dont see a lower mounting point, and the upper mounting location does not do anything better than the stock head bolt would do.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post
One question- will this help at all with out common belt squeak? If not, then will this set up work with one of the idler pulleys being sold that helps eliminate the belt squeaking issue?

-Gary

P.S. Now that I look at this, won't this actually REDUCE the amount of contact the belt has with the alternator pulley a little? The right hand angle from the factory would give the belt a tad more contact with the pulley than moving it down so that the belt goes downhill to the pulley, wouldn't it?

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 06-04-2008).]

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

FieroFanatic13

3521 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I am a bit confused as to what is so special about this... I dont see a lower mounting point, and the upper mounting location does not do anything better than the stock head bolt would do.

Well, if you look at his pic and the first one you posted, you can see that his alternator is definitely lower than in your picture- note the easily identified plug hole for reference and how the alternator in his pic is lower whereas yours is almost level with it...

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 06-04-2008).]

anwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the alternator is mounted lower and I didnt use the stock head bolt due to the reduction of clearance to the sparkplug. In regards to the lower mount, as I stated in the first post I have the designs and the parts are in process. I dont have the ability to make those here. The bottom line, I think it is a nice looking functional mount and if there is an interest I will get my local shop to quote mass producing it. If there isnt any interest then I wont persue it.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Don't listen to DH.
YOUR mounts are far more better than the rusty crap that he puts on his cars. His looks like a 5th grader welded them.

His "may" work, but yours is the better quality one that I would show off. I would paint DH's black in hopes that nobody would see that crap.

p.s. Nice paint on the block !!

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 06-04-2008).]

John Boelte

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post

I'm confused as to why you would compare what you're showing to the OP. anwalker's mount LOOKS REALLY NICE! As he posted, it keeps the alternator away from the sparkplugs unlike what you posted.

anwalker - I'd be interested in what you've got if you can produce it at a reasonable cost.
PFF
System Bot
anwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the complimnets guys. I sent the prints to the shop today and see what they say. Ill do what I can to keep them as reasonable as possible.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
If you notice in the picture, my HEADER is hitting the plug boot more severely than the alternator is... And I dont see the advantage to lowering the alternator any more than what I have it at.... The only advantage of moving it 2 inches lower would be a lower center of gravity....

Now you have eliminated all chances of mounting the lower part of the alternator to the block itself, and now you will have to make another machined bracket to go off the trans, and anyone with a manual would not be able to use this setup. My mount ties into the back of the block, the front of the block, and the head, all this does is go off the block face, giving it 1 dimension of mounting strength.

YOUR mounts are far more better than the rusty crap that he puts on his cars. His looks like a 5th grader welded them.

Typical PFF "form over function" engineering..... as why I dont post any build threads here anymore as I will just get harassed for putting something on a project of mine that isnt billet machined aluminum..... My "rusty metal" cost me about 20mins of time, and NOTHING as I pulled it out of my scrap pile, this guy (or whoever he had to bum it off of) had to buy this hunk of alum.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The alternator on my 3800SC comes from a 1999 Astro. Its a C-130D GM alternator and also mounts with an spacer and alternator bolt to the block. Then a simple bracket on the bottom and a support on the back hold it as ridgid as can be.

The bracket shown in this post looks nice but is it really necessary?

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-04-2008).]

anwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
The lower bracket is not machined but soft tooled from .125" CRS and will work on manual transaxles and automatics alike with no clearance issues. Ill have another pic up in a few weeks.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2008 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Typical PFF "form over function" engineering..... as why I dont post any build threads here anymore as I will just get harassed for putting something on a project of mine that isnt billet machined aluminum..... My "rusty metal" cost me about 20mins of time, and NOTHING as I pulled it out of my scrap pile, this guy (or whoever he had to bum it off of) had to buy this hunk of alum.

So you insult all of us fellow PFF members with the "typical" comment, then you insult the OP with the "bum" comment, and you attack the OPs whole concept from the point of believing that your work is inherently superior and you can't understand why everyone else can't see that.

So, other than being an ass, why are you posting in this thread at all in the first place? I mean, you voluntarily came into this thread, as far as I can tell no one coerced you into joining it. Did you have something to add? Other than insults to the rest of the PFF community?

JazzMan

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

So you insult all of us fellow PFF members with the "typical" comment, then you insult the OP with the "bum" comment, and you attack the OPs whole concept from the point of believing that your work is inherently superior and you can't understand why everyone else can't see that.

So, other than being an ass, why are you posting in this thread at all in the first place? I mean, you voluntarily came into this thread, as far as I can tell no one coerced you into joining it. Did you have something to add? Other than insults to the rest of the PFF community?

JazzMan

So neg me and get me banned if you care so much? I was the one insulted first for trying to show this "newb" that started the thread the correct way to do it, and WHY his was incorrect. There are a small handful of people on this forum that have done more or as many swaps as me, and even fewer that have experience with 3800's outside of fieros, and swaps into other cars, NONE of them are involved in this thread. If you dont like my methods, then so be it, but you dont have to put me down because you feel that I am a "hack". I could really give a crap because you people that always criticize me DONT KNOW **** ANYWAY, and have no basis to even flame me, yet you do. Let me explain how this thread went for the simpletons here that dont know anything

post 1 = guy posts about a fancy ass bracket he makes to solve a problem that doesnt exist, AND IS TRYING TO SELL THEM

posts 2-5 = guys oogle over all the shiny alum and say how cool it looks

post 6 = I explain WHY THE PART IS USLESS, and I even suggest what I think should be done.

post 7-9 = People trying to explain to me why I am retarded, and that the plug boot would hit otherwise... further wasting my time and theirs.

post 10 = me getting insulted and flamed by someone that knows nothing about manufacturing 3800 parts, but thinks he is a god among 3800's because he has had one for years more than anyone else.

post 11-12 = more flames and comments on how shiny aluminum is

post 13 = more explanations as to why this mount thing is useless, and explaining why this forum is completely useless.

Post 14 = slightly unrleated post by dennis showing how to mount another type of alternator.... using a simple style as I suggested and how well it works. This post was made by someone that actually makes parts and has done a swap himself.

post 15 = The real kicker here... the thread starter states he wont have a lower bracket for WEEKS, yet is trying to sell the most usless part of this mount ROFL!

THE MORE YOU KNOW

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 06-05-2008).]

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

post 7-9 = People trying to explain to me why I am retarded, and that the plug boot would hit otherwise... further wasting my time and theirs.

darkhorizon,

Apparently you need to be flamed, because last I checked posts 7 and 8 were MINE, and NEITHER of them in ANY WAY tried to explain to you why you are retarded or that the plug boot would hit otherwise. Post 7 was asking questions, and post 8 simply answered YOUR QUESTION regarding it being lower or not. Yet you "flamed" me in your comments here over something I didn't even do. My only error was not realizing that this wasn't for a stock V6 right off the bat (title didn't point this out, btw).

TRY READING BEFORE YOU POST AND MAKE YOURSELF LOOK LIKE A JERK.

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 06-05-2008).]

anwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
This is why I do a lot of reading on this board and little posting.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2008 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by anwalker:

This is why I do a lot of reading on this board and little posting.

Don't let the few oddballs get you down. Whatever constructive criticism darkhorizon may have had to offer was rendered completely worthless by his holier than thou condescending attitude which should only be taken as him having a problem with a too tiny man-thing.

The best thing to do with him (and I violated that rule myself, sorry) is to simply ignore his posts completely, just pretend he never actually posts anywhere. He quickly moves on when nobody give him the attention he so desperately craves.

JazzMan
Khaos88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Khaos88GTSend a Private Message to Khaos88GTDirect Link to This Post
you have a PM
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Don't let the few oddballs get you down. Whatever constructive criticism darkhorizon may have had to offer was rendered completely worthless by his holier than thou condescending attitude which should only be taken as him having a problem with a too tiny man-thing.

The best thing to do with him (and I violated that rule myself, sorry) is to simply ignore his posts completely, just pretend he never actually posts anywhere. He quickly moves on when nobody give him the attention he so desperately craves.

JazzMan

I am totally lost as to what you are getting at here, and why you are so completely off base? What are you talking about attention whoreing? I could give a crap about what people think of me on this fourm, and I am sorry you think I post in a "holier than thou" tone (is that even possible?) I dont get why I get so critisized on my "posting tone" all the time, and why people think i am out to prove that I am better than everyone else? WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD I EVER CARE PLEASE ANSWER THAT QUESTION O GOD OF PFF!
anwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
PM replied to.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock