4.9 cracked head? by milkman
Started on: 06-02-2008 02:36 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: gunslinger on 06-02-2008 02:34 PM
milkman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for milkmanSend a Private Message to milkmanDirect Link to This Post
still trying to finish up my 4.9 swap. I put my exhaust on, started it up and noticed white smoke/steam coming out of the right dual. I shut it down, waited for it to cool off and checked the water level. Sure enough it was low. How common is it for the 4.9 to have a cracked head and or a blown head gasket? Or could it possibly be something else? Thanks for the info & advise, without you guys this swap wouldn't have been possible.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
Did you remove the Heads or Intake Manifold during your build? IF so you might not had tightened the bolts in the right order to the right spec''s. With Iron Head/Aluminum Block motors it is rare to get a cracked head, the block will develop issues before the heads will in my experience. It is most likely a head gasket issue.

------------------

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Buy or rent a coolant system pressure testor. Pressurize the system and look to see where it is seeping from
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Dump the oil and see if there is coolant in it. If it is leaking it will be at either the top of the sleeve (gasket) or the bottom (o-ring) - either way the motor will have to come apart.

It may be better to just get another block as the gaskets cost more than you can usually pick up another motor for. That being said, buy only the GM gaskets for the oil pan and intake and make sure you get a good quality head gasket (make sure it has the metal rings) and o-ring - speaking from experience...
milkman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for milkmanSend a Private Message to milkmanDirect Link to This Post
I did not take heads or intake off prior to installation, put motor in complete. There isn't ant coolant getting into the crankcase. Started it back up this morning, put my hands over the exhaust tips and my right hand got wet, left hand stayed dry. can someone refresh my memory on how to magnaflux a head its been 20+ years since i did my last one?
gunslinger

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gunslingerSend a Private Message to gunslingerDirect Link to This Post
Do a compression leakdown test and that will confirm what is wrong ,like mentioned above head gasket or O ring is the achilles heel on these motor also these heads never crackat all get another motor it is cheaper than repairing the motor.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock