Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  What's a turbo northstar fastback worth?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

What's a turbo northstar fastback worth? by V8Dreamer
Started on: 05-31-2008 10:30 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: seegeer on 06-11-2008 07:35 AM
V8Dreamer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerDirect Link to This Post
A friend is planning on selling his turbo northstar 87 GT and isn't sure how much demand there is for a car like it or how much it is worth.

Specs:
87 GT - painted viper red. Not show quality, but OEM quality.
Estimated 400 hp at 3-5 psi - to be dyno-tuned soon
4 point roll bar
Adjustable racing seats with 5 point harnesses
Interior carpet replaced with dark grey tweed - looks very nice
Northstar V8 (300 hp version) - fully resealed
Fully tunable stand-alone engine management system
Brand new 4T65eHD with ZZ shift kit
Independent trans controller with paddle-shift
Air/liquid intercooler - front mounted cooler
Exhaust is all stainless - fully jet-hot coated to keep engine bay heat down
12" slotted/drilled/plated corvette brake rotor upgrade with red powder-coated 88 Fiero calipers
16" black 5 spoke wheels wrapped in drag radials (rear) and BFG ultra hi-po (front)
A/C components were removed since the car was originally built more or less as a racerar

There is over 10k in parts alone in this car and all the work was done by someone that is very well respected in the Fiero community. All of the turbo plumbing is expertly fabricated and very clean. The same goes for the rest of the exhaust and all of the wiring.

I expect that the car will run high low 12s or high 11s in the quarter mile.

Any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
not 10k

No fiero is worth more than 7-8k IMO, I know the nicest 3800sc cars hardly go for more than that.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
It really depends. What turbo was used? Mileage? What exactly does "resealed" mean? I'd say 9-15k depending on the quality of the components and mileage of everything. Pictures would help.
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
its worth whatever someone is willing to pay :P Im sure if someone is in the market for that setup, they'd pay $10k. I wouldn't personally, but then again i dont want a turbo N*. Either way, post some pics, i wanna see
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
pics and video will help us determine what it is worth
wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
ive seen the car that is being spoken of and can say if i had the money i would probably pay the money. very well built with brand new factory trans and everything else you can think of.

------------------

DONE: 86gt 5 speed 4.9 complete rebuild with buds outback northstar pistons , delta cams E303 cam , full ported , polished , stronger head springs, and flow tested heads and manifolds. rockcrawl's custom chip , polished crank . too much to list

86 gt 350 4 speed
85 t-top BEING PARTED
86gt 4.9 highly modified
86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
Easily worth 10K++ if you market it properly and for a long enough time.

Ebay is an excellent place to do it, but in the end it is timing. You need one person with cash and the desire to buy it. They do not always look at Ebay every week. Hence, patience until you find the right buyer.

Regards,

David
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
I have a feeling that there will be a HUGE margin between "what it's worth" and actual value

------------------
Recanizin' Flat-Buns Since 2001

Eric Nelson
Internet Sales Manager
Power Ford Valencia
nelsone@autonation.com

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Why does everyone hide the details? Is this a misguided attempt at discretion?

Just drop the names for crying out loud.

What engine management?
What are the turbo specs?
Who was the builder? (I already know, but it's pointless of you to not mention the name)

Power claims are worthless without timeslips or dyno sheets.
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerDirect Link to This Post
Will,

To answer your question, I'm not the owner so I don't have the details you mentioned handy.

And regarding power claims being worthless without timeslips or dyno sheets, it will be dyno-tuned soon so there will be some sort of "proof" of what it can do. It hasn't been on a dyno yet though so at this point it is an educated guess.

I didn't mention the builder's name because he didn't ask me to post this, I was just trying to settle a little friendly debate we were having.

Thanks,
Ryan
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Fiero prices are all over the scale. Is it worth 10k? I dont see why not. In the end, its going to bring what its going to bring with the economy being what it is.
PFF
System Bot
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2008 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

Why does everyone hide the details? Is this a misguided attempt at discretion?

Dude, chill out. I'm not really sure what you're thinking, but nobody's trying to hide anything.

I own the car in question. It's been sitting in my garage for two years or more. Last year I pulled it out and replaced the engine and transmission, then put it away again. I just pulled it out last week to finish a few details. I said to V8Dreamer that I don't think I'll be able to get my money back out of it if I sell it (well over $10k now), and he seemed to think I could. A few years ago some modified Fieros were selling for over $20k, but those same cars today may only bring half as much. It's impossible to put an exact retail value on a custom car based on a short description and no pictures, but I think he was just looking for a general idea of what people think it could be worth in today's market. The question was purely for entertainment, he is not interested in buying the car.

It's a 43k mile '96 L37 Northstar, resealed means the oil seals and gaskets have been replaced, the block was also split and reasealed between the upper and lower halves, turbo specs off the top of my head are; T4/T61 P-trim, .70 A/R compressor, .64?? A/R turbine housing, Turbonetics Evolution wastegate, Greddy BOV, FloJet oil sump pump, PWR air/water intercooler, FMS intercooler pump, Holley Commander 950 Pro EFI, Holley 36 lb/hr injectors, PCS transmission controller with steering wheel button shift, Accel 300+ race wires. New GM 4T65E-HD with Thrasher shift kit, Amsoil ATF, Nitto 555R rear drags and BFGoodrich G-Force Sport fronts, SportMax wheels, RJS racing harnesses, ACC carpet. 304L mandrel bent exhaust, Jet-Hot Sterling from ports to tips including the compressor housing. How's that for names?

Get out your pencil and start mapping the turbo so you can tell me how wrong it is for the engine.

I'll have pictures, videos, and dyno runs after I wash off 2 years of dust and put the interior back together. There's nothing to hide here, it is what it is. I'll obviously try to get as much as I can for it if/when I sell it, but if I can't get what I think is fair I'll just keep it as a toy. It's all paid for and it really doesn't cost much to keep it.

Jon
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2008 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoDirect Link to This Post
Car sounds great. Impressive set up. Even if you decide not to sell it, some pictures would be nice.
wiccantoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
dont worry as soon as i hit the lottery ill be over there to get it. this is a really nice car and some just need to look at the spec's and think about the money spent. and now that he spoke up most know the quality of work in rockcrawls cars. now think how people work on there personal cars. the man is picky as it is , yet alone on his own cars.

anyone remember the shaker 4.9? there must have been 20 people asking for him to make them that mod. which im sure would still sell now. id probably be the first one to buy one.

------------------

DONE: 86gt 5 speed 4.9 complete rebuild with buds outback northstar pistons , delta cams E303 cam , full ported , polished , stronger head springs, and flow tested heads and manifolds. rockcrawl's custom chip , polished crank . too much to list

86 gt 350 4 speed
85 t-top BEING PARTED
86gt 4.9 highly modified
86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I believe these are some pics of the car. Please correct me if I'm wrong. They are older pics so they may not show the current condition or mods. If money permitted I would snatch it up in a second.
http://www.fieroaddiction.com/turbonorthstar.html

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 06-10-2008).]

wiccantoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

I believe these are some pics of the car. Please correct me if I'm wrong. They are older pics so they may not show the current condition or mods. If money permitted I would snatch it up in a second.
http://www.fieroaddiction.com/turbonorthstar.html

yep thats the old engine. currently redone but just as nice
ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Direct Link to This Post
OOPS! just bought the 13" brake setup on your website for my '88. Maybe I should have waitied until I heard more about your car.

Considering this seems to be a highly sophisticated setup, is the vehicle swap painstakingly documented? I mean wiring diagrams, details of all the equipment, operation of all the gizmos, etc. etc? Otherwise the learning curve to familiarize yourself with this vehicle becomes steep. And even a minor problem can become very expensive due to lack of specific knowledge..
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
wow, i'm tempted to offer my 87 GT w/ F355 rebody and L67 up for trade.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
its worth the price of the look on the Z06 owners face as you pass him/her by
seegeer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seegeerSend a Private Message to seegeerDirect Link to This Post
when selling a modded car, i usually take what i have in it plus the book value and divide that in half. u almost always loose money but i have had alot of success selling cars. it sounds like your friend has a great car..i wish you guys the best in selling it

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock