3.8sc help in Mentor Ohio by t697
Started on: 05-31-2008 03:27 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: t697 on 06-02-2008 07:44 AM
t697

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
Okay today was a nice day. Decided to take the fiero out on its maiden voyage. First run was great, temp got up above mid point but came back down lots of power. 15 minute run no problems. Got back the kids all wanted to go for rides. So tell my oldest he is first. Some thing fall out of the car not sure what it is at the time we are going 60mph. The car starts to run hotter than before. Make it to a place to pull off just as there is a billow of white smoke from the back of the car. It turns out that my 3.4 pulley is what flew out of the car. Now the car as a corvette cooling system in it, not sure how that works, the tank is where the battery used to be and runs up to the radiator. I think that even with this system that I still need to purge the system by lifting the front, not sure though.

Anyone know about the corvette conversion?

Can I just put the pulley and the belt back on.

Anything else I should check before putting it back on the road?

Any insight is greatly appreciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Don't know about the Corvette cooling system but the Eaton Supercharger pulleys are installed using interference fit. In essense they are press fit on the shaft and require a special tool to remove and install them. Trying to install a pulley on the supercharger shaft without the special tool will result in damage to the pulley and possibly the supercharger input shaft as well. Darthfiero in Ohio may have the right tool, or you can try to locate someone close by on the ClubGP ( Grand Prix) forum that may be able to help you or you can buy the tool from ZZ performance.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
There is about 12 tons of pulling force required to pull one of those off, so I am assuming that it was just installed incorrectly or you are slightly mistaken in what happend

The corvette cooling setup is really a slick setup, if you have coolant filled up in it, you should have no problems.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
if your running a modular pulley system that uses allen bolts to hold it on they are prone to backing out...use some blue locktite on them and this cures any backing out problem....tim
t697

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
Well I have the pulley in my hand so I know I am not mistaken about what happened. It is a ZZ performance 3.4 pulley. It appears that it just bolts on with a few bolts. I just bought this car a month ago and this was the first real road test. The reason for the overheaiting is when the belt came off it must have knocked the hose into the engine off because that is missing as well. It was the hose that had the radiator cap onit. I don't think the pulley was pressed on as I can put it on by hand and there is en ough interfernce that it will turn the supercharger but slip slightly.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Ah yes, just bolt them back in with some locktite
black88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post
im in brunswick about 40 mins away i have done a 3800 sc swap if you need any help

------------------
Parts for your FWD GM 97-07
Morad Parts Company
Ebay Store
Homepage

Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I live in Willoughby right off of vine st and rt 2. I'm in the process of a 3800sc swap myself into a 87 GT with the F355 rebody. I would love to be able to take a look at your completed swap in person sometime. I'm still waiting on my flywheel and harness/ecu then I'll be ready to put the cradle back in.
t697

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
Anyone know the size allen bolts to use? Any specific ones I should get? I don't want to just go to the hardware store.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
give ZZP a call tommorow and ask the bolt size.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Ive had a modular 3.4 rolling around in my trunk for a year now, never saw the need for the extra power, I'll check the bolt sizes.

FYI, the special tools are only needed to prevent damage to the pulley, they have no effect on the SC itself.

To remove a pulley without the tools, just use a 3 jaw puller, put the center on the shaft and the 3 jaws on the pulley. All the force is directed onto the pulley and the tip of the shaft, the SC wouldnt even know what was happeneing. This will bend the pulley though. I theorize if you used a bearing puller dealy, the one with two halves that meet in a circle with a larger inset circle, that it would evenly distribute the force and might, might, not damage the pulley.

You can install the pulley with any high grade bolt and nut, or just use a power steering pulley installation kit. Again all the forces are between the pulley and the end of the shaft. The only concern is that you dont rip the threads out of the end of the shaft. I tossed my pulley in the oven for a bit before I installed it, expanded the fit a little, I think it actually would have just slid on if I had gotten it more than a little warm. The danger there is transfering the heat into the bearings, but you figure it runs at ~200*+ normally, so installing a 200* pulley onto a cold shaft shouldnt hurt anything.

I'll run out and check the bolts in a few minutes.
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

86GT3.4DOHC

10007 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Mine are M6x1.00 about 1/2" long.
t697

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
ordered screws from zz performance. $13 for 5 screws kind of a ripoff but what you going to do
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by t697:

ordered screws from zz performance. $13 for 5 screws kind of a ripoff but what you going to do

Man, for $13.00 for 5 screws! Thats highway robbery. I'd bet that you could have picked them up at your local Tractor Supply Co. for 75 cents!

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Yea, any hardware store or fastenall would have had them for pennys.
t697

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2008 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
well that included $6 for shipping

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock