Headlight gen 1 to gen 2 by 06invertmini
Started on: 05-26-2008 03:36 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Dodgerunner on 05-26-2008 10:24 PM
06invertmini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06invertminiSend a Private Message to 06invertminiDirect Link to This Post
I was just wondering if you can take the light wiring harness off of a later 80's model firebird and use it on a 85 fiero? i know you can use the motors, but need to know if i can use the wiring harness. Reason being i dont wanna get a used gen 1 motor from upull and it crap out on me like in a month.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AlanD

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlanDSend a Private Message to AlanDDirect Link to This Post
I used the harness from the Firebird and spliced it in. As I recall the only changes I had to make was to swap a few wires around. Mainly you have to be careful that the control module/relay is off when the headlights are down - otherwise you drain your battery. Took me forever to discover what I did wrong. You should be fine if you have the schematic to both and wire it up by the wire function not the color code. I used the color codes and it worked fine except for the constant battery drain. PM me if you need schematics or assistance.
Al
06invertmini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06invertminiSend a Private Message to 06invertminiDirect Link to This Post
alright, i have to go to upull yard today and see if they even have any fbody's of the years. but if not i know they have to 84 dukes there that i can just stay with gen 1 if i have to.

um where would the control module be on a 80's firebird?
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
87-92 FBs, the module is mounted on the left side firewall.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Here is how I did mine with the firebird parts. You just take the two schematics and after thinking about it and where the wires are located it pretty easy...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087182.html

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 05-26-2008).]

06invertmini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06invertminiSend a Private Message to 06invertminiDirect Link to This Post
i have another ? the plastic gear inside the headlight, does it always start and stop on the same gear teeth?
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post

Since the bucket aways stops in the same place, I think it is fairly sure that the gear would stop at the same places at the up and down points.
I have never seen a bad Gen2 motor gear yet, not that is could not happen. All the ones I see are with slugs bad.

As long as the module is current limiting like it should it should not strip a gear.
06invertmini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06invertminiSend a Private Message to 06invertminiDirect Link to This Post
alright. well when i went to the upull today the fieros werent both 84s one was and the other was a 87 but the 87 had been spliced with gen 1 motors and the gen 2 harness so i grabed the harness for 15 bucks and im gonna save up for the two motors and just leave my gen ones up for right now.
06invertmini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06invertminiSend a Private Message to 06invertminiDirect Link to This Post

06invertmini

83 posts
Member since Oct 2007

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Since the bucket aways stops in the same place, I think it is fairly sure that the gear would stop at the same places at the up and down points.
I have never seen a bad Gen2 motor gear yet, not that is could not happen. All the ones I see are with slugs bad.

As long as the module is current limiting like it should it should not strip a gear.

i just fixed it. for now at least. the reason i asked about the gear is so i could start the gear in a diff position to see if it would work and it does. instead of it starting and stoping on the broken teeth, it starts and stops on good teeth. for how long though? ill see, but im already collecting parts for the gen 2 swap so it wont be like that for long.

also one last ? with the gen 2 swap do i need to use the gen 2 arms? or gen 1 Arms?
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You can use all the Gen1 bucket parts and just replace the motors. You do have to shorten one of the three bolts that hold the motor in or the arm will hit the bolt. You will see which one when you install the motors.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock