Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  BRAKES ARE DRIVING ME NUTS (NO PRESSURE) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
BRAKES ARE DRIVING ME NUTS (NO PRESSURE) by antinull.com
Started on: 05-20-2008 05:18 PM
Replies: 56
Last post by: max1 on 06-09-2008 01:21 PM
antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
so, starting at the root of the problem
My caliper locked on the driver rear heated up and blew the brake hose /caught it on fire
I replaced the hose and the caliper
I bled the brake and went for a ride
i have no brakes untill the pedal is almost fully depressed
So, i figured mabey some air got in the driver rear
tried bleeding that one and broke the bleeder off
so I ordered a new driver rear caliper
Still the same issue after bleeding the brakes

im using prestone dot 3 synthetic fluid
i have carbon metallic pads and drilled slotted rotors
the driver rear pad is worn alot from the locking but still has meat on it
the rear brakes look like they have adjusted properly

any ideas guys? i need this car ready for autocross saturday

[This message has been edited by antinull.com (edited 05-20-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
bump
FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
I would first try to bleed all the calipers, easiest and cheapest test.

------------------
1986GT 4-speed DOHC and 1987GT Auto

antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
yeah we bled the rears
the fronts shouldnt need bleeding as they never went low
i ordered new front calipers and a master cylinder
(calipers incase i break anouther bleeder lol)
my race is saturday and this is driving me nuts
afRaceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRSend a Private Message to afRaceRDirect Link to This Post
First, the brake system can be a mother to bleed on these cars. I just did my entire brake system last year. I still have a pedal that's a little low.
My opinion is that the system will never be completely bleed without a pressure bleeder.
But, you may have some other things going on. Such as, if the rear brakes aren't adjusted properly. If there is too much space between the pads and rotor all your pedal travel is being used to move the pistons instead of building pressure. If this is the case you will never build enough pressure for a strong pedal.
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
I know it sounds stupid, but check the brake hoses and make sure that they are installed correctly. (not really sure how to explain this...) Make sure that the "square" part of the hose is mounted properly and not "cocked" to one side. I had this problem once, and fluid was actually leaking out. You should be able to check for fluid leaking out there.

Copper washers on both sides of the "square" part of the hose that bolts to the caliper.
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
i have one ss line and the rest are rubber
we made sure there were no leaks after bleeding
the rear pads are adjusted with about 1mm between them and the rotor and bite good but again the peddle goes almost to the floor before any braking happens
now when my brake hose blew i hit the floor with the pedle a few times trying to get the car home im thinking that did the damage ogre's cave talks about to the master cylinder
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
You may be correct on the master cylinder damage but, if the rear brake was that hot the caliper too needs to be replaced.
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
please read the first post i replaced both rear calipers now
the one that got hot burned out the seals
the other ones bleeder broke off
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post

antinull.com

1631 posts
Member since Oct 2006
bump
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Assuming you've got all the air out... the MC is bad. Or you have too much pad clearance someplace. See my cave...

It is common to kill an MC when pedal bleeding a car. This happens because you push the pedal farther than it would normally go and trash/damage in the MC kills one or more seals. You can even jam the front piston that way. What it means is that the MC was in bad shape before you started. The overtravel just exposed the weakness.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
yeah, i read your article which is why i came up with that
its probably the stock mc

In 2005 the car was purchased by its (assumed) third owner. he Replaced the Rear Calipers
which kills me
i broke a bleeder and toasted a caliper
and had to replace both
AFTER 2 YEARS
damn i wish i had the warranty
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post

antinull.com

1631 posts
Member since Oct 2006
yeah, i read your article which is why i came up with that
its probably the stock mc

In 2005 the car was purchased by its (assumed) third owner. he Replaced the Rear Calipers
which kills me
i broke a bleeder and toasted a caliper
and had to replace both
AFTER 2 YEARS
damn i wish i had the warranty
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
got my master cylinder today
how do i go about replacing this thing?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by antinull.com:

got my master cylinder today
how do i go about replacing this thing?

pop off the resevoir - just pushes on/off
undo the lines
undo the 1 screw holding it steady
undo the 2 nuts holding to the brake booster
remove MC
install new MC
install 2 nuts to brake booster
install 1 screw to hold steady
install bleeder kit
install & fill resevoir
run bleeder hoses into resvoir - make steady, tie strap, something
gently slowly pump brakes - make sure no splashes - this stuff eats any & all paint it hits.
when it moves only fluid, remove bleeder kit, and install lines
bleeder all calipers.
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

the rear pads are adjusted with about 1mm between them and the rotor and bite good but again the peddle goes almost to the floor before any braking happens
now when my brake hose blew i hit the floor with the pedle a few times trying to get the car home im thinking that did the damage ogre's cave talks about to the master cylinder

This sounds like your problem. How far does the park brake lever move on the caliper? If it moves the total distance you need to tighten up the adjustment more. They should self adjust, but most of the rebuilds you get will have failed adjusters in the postons. You do not want clearance between the pads and the rotors.

I have bled far to many brake systems to count (likely in the thousands) and to date I have never seen a master cylinder fail from "overstroking" it. I understand the theory, just have never seen it happen.
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
okay if the brakes are any more adjusted they would be dragging
with no peddal or ebrake they have the 1mm estimated
afRaceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRSend a Private Message to afRaceRDirect Link to This Post
The pads should drag the rotors just slightly. If there is any clearance between pads and rotor, the master cylinder has to take up that clearance first before it will build any pressure to actually stop the car.
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
I hate to ask, becuase it sounds stupid, but can someone tell me HOW to adjust the rear rotors?

I have changed brakes front and rear on Fieros atleast a dozen or more times, and never had to "adjust" the rear calipers (except for "turning in" the pistons).

The last fiero that I worked on (replaced pads in the rear) seems to have this same problem. Doesnt have good pressure till the pedal is most of the way down - and I think that the rear calipers could need to be "adjusted"

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but it seems on topic
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
1.Lets start at the beginning, your master cylinder is the most intelligent guess in this situation, I have seen them do what ogre described. your pedal never travels that far so debris collects toward the front/back whatever you want to call it, and you scrape the soft seal against all that and it tears it. Otherwise, the piston gets stuck. I was only a mechanic for 6 years, worked on hot rods for 10, and have seen this a half a dozen times.

2.You say you have 1 steel line and the rest rubber. The brake system obviously works with line pressure, and different types of hoses/lines react to pressure in different ways. If the MC thing doesnt actually fix it all the way, I would look at the lines. It is possible the difference in pressures are screwing up the whole system.

3.Please for the love of humanity bench bleed the new master cylinder before installing it. You are basically preloading it off the car to make sure there is no air in the MC itself before it goes on the car. There is plenty of literature about this on the internet if you need more assistance in doing so.

4.Try to remove as much of the old fluid as possible since it has gotten so hot. DOT 3 is not meant to get that hot at all. It will be better in the long run.

-JOE
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
okay, thats redicilous
guess i will try to adjust my new brake calipers first?
PFF
System Bot
afRaceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRSend a Private Message to afRaceRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:

I hate to ask, becuase it sounds stupid, but can someone tell me HOW to adjust the rear rotors?

I have changed brakes front and rear on Fieros atleast a dozen or more times, and never had to "adjust" the rear calipers (except for "turning in" the pistons).

The last fiero that I worked on (replaced pads in the rear) seems to have this same problem. Doesnt have good pressure till the pedal is most of the way down - and I think that the rear calipers could need to be "adjusted"

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but it seems on topic

The rear calipers adjust automatically when you engage the park brake. If your park brake is not working correctly, the back brakes will not ratchet out and take up any slack.
If your park brake is working correctly but the back brakes still aren't automatically adjusting, then there is something wrong with the calipers, even if they are new/rebuilt.

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:

First off, they SHOULD adjust when you use the park brake. They often times (usually) don't. If you can move the park brake lever (the one on the caliper) all the way then it is out of adjustment. If the adjuster is not working, take the nut off the adguster and pull it off. Turn the center pivot (adjuster) till the pads tighten dowm. Reinstall the adjuster lever.
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
okay, i will try adjusting the rear calipers
so they should be right on the rotors?
i though i needed a spacer or something

if that is no go
the master cylinder gets swapped
please tell me how to bench bleed it... im a complete noob when it comes to brake systems
i know i could use new hoses all around and will probably put them on shortly
a forum member is sending me a rear SS line so i will have ss on both rears atleast

this all needs to get done tomorow
if it doesnt ill miss my autocross school./race

[This message has been edited by antinull.com (edited 05-23-2008).]

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

okay, i will try adjusting the rear calipers
if that is no go
the master cylinder gets swapped
please tell me how to bench bleed it... im a complete noob when it comes to brake systems
i know i could use new hoses all around and will probably put them on shortly
a forum member is sending me a rear SS line so i will have ss on both rears atleast

The new master cylinder will come with plugs. Leave them in and add fluid. Push the plunger in on the master cyl a little bit, you will see air bubbles (the master is being held in a vise). Keep pushing the plunger in and out slowly. When the bubbles stop it is ready to put on. But, you will not need to do this once you have adjusted your breaks. One of the primary reasons people complain about the crappy Fiero brakes is because thier rear brakes do not work because they are out of adjustment. A quick way to tell if your rear brakes are out of adjustment is if the park brakes does not work or if it pulls all the way up.
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
okay, im going to adjust the rear brakes first
then im going to bench bleed the cylinder and install it
BTW it came with instructions and plugs (that were not installed)
i actually do not have a vise
any suggestions?
also my jack broke so i get to use the fun crank one
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

i actually do not have a vise
any suggestions?

C clamp it to a board
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
i tried the adjustment proceedure found on ogre's cave
it didnt make them any tighter
(used a thin shim and pumped them)
they seem adjusted properly and after 10* pull of ebrake the pads are clamped but not really hard

i can clamp it to my bench i guess i have some of those ratchet clamps lol

antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post

antinull.com

1631 posts
Member since Oct 2006
anything else i should know before starting the master cylinder?
Do i need to bleed the entire system>?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

anything else i should know before starting the master cylinder?
Do i need to bleed the entire system>?

yes - you will need to bleed the whole system when done. and - it a good long bleed - because the air bubbles will be at the very beginning of the brake line.
at least 5oz of fluid (maybe 10-15 bleeds) should go thru the longest - Left Rear line. since the rears share the line all the way back - the right rear is a quickie after that. maybe 2-3 bleeds. then the right front - about 2oz, and the left front - another quickie.
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
okay
that helps alot thanks
this stuff is suposedly 3-5 years old and im replacing it ....
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

after 10* pull of ebrake the pads are clamped but not really hard

This statement tell me that they are not adjusted. If you pull the park brake that far and the brake is not clamped very hard there is no chance in the world that it would stop a moving car. How far does the lever move on either (both) levers on the calipers? If it moves all the way on either side they are loose and need to be adjusted. The procedure in ogers cave will likely not work easily if your adjusters are not working in the calipers. The way I listed will work either way. It also only takes a few minutes a side too.
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
okay, but your talking about binding the pads to the rotors which is what got me into this mess in the first place
also ten degres of pulling sets the pads to the rotors
pulling more makes them set harder
if i set them and try to drive the car doesnt move

antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post

antinull.com

1631 posts
Member since Oct 2006
well, im going to install the master cylinder
i think they are adjusted properly

antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post

antinull.com

1631 posts
Member since Oct 2006
Okay the pads after using ogres adjustment are infact closer to the caliper
i can see light if i move the caliper to one side hard
but it is not even 1mm of a gap
so i think that is set
im going to run the car and try the brakes now

antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post

antinull.com

1631 posts
Member since Oct 2006
argh, i cant find my bleeding hoses / pump so i can remove the MC lol
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post

antinull.com

1631 posts
Member since Oct 2006
when i ran the car i still had peddle to the floor then braking
so its gotta be the mc (i hope)
so off i go to hammer away lol
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

okay, but your talking about binding the pads to the rotors which is what got me into this mess in the first place

If I remember correctly, what started this was a colapsed brake line. Applied brakes will cause very bad issues (you will burn stuff up). Loose brakes will cause a very low pedal and hard stopping. Zero clearance brakes will stop the car and not create a low pedal problem. A bad master cylinder will cause a pedal that sinks when it is held applied, not a low pedal. Go ahead and change the cylinder so you will be happy, then fix the rear brake adjustment so the car will stop. You can even do it as you are bleeding the brakes and then come back on here saying the master fixed everything so you can save face. Just fix the rear brakes one way or the other so the car is safe.

You stated 10 degrees of movement, I am assuming that you did not check at the caliper? just at the handle? If so, you need to check at the caliper and make sure that there is not full movement of EITHER SIDE of the park lever. If there is, simply remove it and adjust the pivot. It will NOT bind the brakes because you will have to loosen it just a little bit to reinstall the adjusters (and yes, they must be reinstalled).

Think back when this issue started, when you replaced the caliper. The complaint you have is of a low pedal which is almost always caused by an unadjusted rear caliper. My head is getting sore from hitting it on the wall, but I am leaving for the weekend.
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
i adjusted them the way you said
and the way ogre said
i dont understand what your saying i did wrong
i put the master cylinder on and have a little more breaking now but still soft as hell
what EXACTLY am i suposed to do here?
i was saying that AFTER 10 degres the pads bind and the arm pulls all the way up
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post

antinull.com

1631 posts
Member since Oct 2006
heres the thing
i adjusted the rears to the point that they scrape and i still have low pedal
even with the new master cylinder
so seriously what is going on?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C