3.1 intake on a 2.8? by Jeckel
Started on: 05-20-2008 11:32 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: linuxpowered88 on 05-21-2008 04:01 PM
Jeckel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeckelSend a Private Message to JeckelDirect Link to This Post
I have read different posts about using the stock fiero intake on a 3.1 engine. On the flip side, shouldn't you be able to use the 3.1 intake on a 2.8? Would there be any benefit in doing so?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The 3.1's have aluminum heads. So, you need the whole top end, not just the intake. And, yes they breath a bit better, but not alot.

Arn
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The minivan 3.1L had the iron heads, But the problem is they used DIS ignition. It won't fit because the intake will hit the distributor used on the Fiero 2.8L.
It has the same problem as the 3.4L intake used on the F-body. The intakes need to be modified to provide clearence around the distributor.

The aluminum headed 60* V-6 intakes are not interchangeable with the iron headed 60* V-6 intakes.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 05-20-2008).]

rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Interesting Oreif. Do you happen to have a picture of one of those? Would those be on an Astro?
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

The minivan 3.1L had the iron heads, But the problem is they used DIS ignition. It won't fit because the intake will hit the distributor used on the Fiero 2.8L.
It has the same problem as the 3.4L intake used on the F-body. The intakes need to be modified to provide clearence around the distributor.

The aluminum headed 60* V-6 intakes are not interchangeable with the iron headed 60* V-6 intakes.

Besides the DIS ignition, all of the minivan 3.1's I've seen have throttle body injection, not a multi-port set up like the car based 3.1's. I don't think the iron head 3.1's in the vans came with multi port or sequential set ups- BUT, the ones I've seen were mostly early APV and Transports...

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 05-20-2008).]

Jeckel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeckelSend a Private Message to JeckelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

The intakes need to be modified to provide clearence around the distributor.

What types of mods would need to be done? I was thinking of lumina or barretta intakes.
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
I think those are the aluminum heads 3.1 so you would need to swap heads. Might as well just swap the whole engine and ecm and such. Be about the same amount of work.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock