Started on: 05-12-2008 04:01 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Matthew_Fiero on 05-12-2008 06:34 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Okay, so I'm using the 4spd muncie for my 3800SC engine.

I am getting a flywheel that has already been machined down for the swap. What determines if it needs to be balanced or not?

I've looked at other threads and there doesnt seem to be a definite answer. Some people were saying they didnt balance it because its externally balanced or something? There were all sorts of answers but none seemed definite... I'm a little confused.

I'd like to clear this up. Please post with the answer if you have one!

Thanks,

Chris

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
omnivec

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for omnivecClick Here to visit omnivec's HomePageSend a Private Message to omnivecDirect Link to This Post
A good engine is balanced as a assembly, with the pistons crank rods and flywheel attached as a whole. So from the factory flywheels are drilled for minor amounts of weight, even if there externally or internally balanced. Its good idea to take what ever flexplate came off the sc motor and take the manual flywheel to a shop and have them balance the flywheel to the specs of the auto flexplate. U can get away without doing it, but it could lower the life span of the already weak bearings.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by omnivec:

A good engine is balanced as a assembly, with the pistons crank rods and flywheel attached as a whole. So from the factory flywheels are drilled for minor amounts of weight, even if there externally or internally balanced. Its good idea to take what ever flexplate came off the sc motor and take the manual flywheel to a shop and have them balance the flywheel to the specs of the auto flexplate. U can get away without doing it, but it could lower the life span of the already weak bearings.

Thats a winner right there, take your flexplate in with it and balance it like that.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm ok... so a machine shop can do this for me?

I know I know... noob questions
Matthew_Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroDirect Link to This Post
No its places that actually DO balancing.. I forgot where i got mine done, it was in Scarborough somewhere..

I took the flexplate in for him, as well as the pressure plate for the clutch.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock