Best new slave cylinder for getrag by Dough19
Started on: 05-11-2008 01:05 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Steven Snyder on 05-12-2008 12:24 AM
Dough19

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post
Well I need to buy a new slave cylinder for a 5spd getrag, 1988 Formula. When I checked on RockAuto's site there were several different manufacturers and was wondering if anyone had used particular ones before and if they worked well. Here is a list of some of the ones they have. There are only two that actually say they are the 15/16" bore, so I'm not sure if the other ones are the right ones or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Raybestos #S37794
Wagner #SC103499 15/16" bore
Dorman #CS37794 15/16" bore
ACDelco #386322

------------------

NIFE

98 Grand Prix GTP Black
87GT Blue- 3.4 roller cam, coilovers, 88 cradle swap, many other mods
88 Silver Formula- Soon to be ITA car????
www.comcast.net/~mark3340/default.htm

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry, but I do not know. I will be replacing mine soon and thought I would pass on what I am planning on doing. As these things are prone to failure due to heat or corrosion I will be buying mine from Autozone because it comes with lifetime replacement. The price is slightly higher, but I am don't want to buy anymore.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i just bought a slave and MC from the fiero store
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Just my opinion---AC Delco
Daniel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
I was under the impression that ACDelco was just a re-boxed Raybestos (same casting number) unless you find an old stock ACDelco.

I had problems with the new slave cylinder (tried to bleed the stock one, and the bleeder twisted off) and went through two for the stock getrag, after measuring the bore it was slightly larger than stock.

As you must know the hydraulic system in stock form has just enough movement to disengage.
I ended up using the slave cylinder from the four cylinder vehicle and have quick disengagement.
I was going to drill out the threads from the studs, but just ended up threading the mounting bolts through the slave cylinder into the mount on the transmission.

With this slave at least even if there is a leak, the clutch will still work.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
You can't really get a good new slave cylinder for the Getrag.. your best bet is to buy what you can find and make it work by gravity bleeding it. Hopefully someone will get around to making a good replacement piston and seal soon.

Originally posted by Daniel:

I was under the impression that ACDelco was just a re-boxed Raybestos (same casting number) unless you find an old stock ACDelco.

This is correct.

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero 3.4 DOHC V6 5-speed
California Smog Legal!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock